“Loved It!”
Review of The National Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Jackson
The National Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Jackson
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We spent two nights at The National Hotel on our trip up and down historic Hwy 49. We loved it! The hotel has been renovated but it has kept it's historic charm. Walking around the hotel and looking at everything was an a delightful experience. Our room was beautiful and comfortable. We had access to the front balcony and enjoyed it very much. The free breakfast in the morning was delicious. The staff was helpful and always cheerful. We had the pleasure to meet the hotel's owner one evening also. We look forward to another stay in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with access to the balcony.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Edie S

Reviewed 10 October 2013

I travel often to Jackson to visit family and have never been thrilled with my hotel options. When I found the National was open again thought I would give it a shot. While the rates are comparable to other chain hotels in the area, the experience can't even compare. The National is completely renovated while maintaining much of its charm The rooms are a bit small but still 5 star (I did not want to leave my bed it was so comfy and the bathroom amenities are all high quality). Every worker I came into contact with- from the manager to the person refilling the coffee at breakfast was incredibly nice and helpful. I will definitely be coming back.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank mjkSeattle
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We love staying in vintage hotels and seek them out wherever we go. This building was really attractive which is why I am still giving a review of 3, even though our stay was far from enjoyable. Here are the good features: convenient free parking structure behind the hotel, great location with our balcony overlooking the main street, pleasant desk staff at check-in. Now for the bad parts: Our keys would not stay working...we went down twice to have them rekeyed and when one of them stopped working the third time we gave up and just got by with one key for the two of us. At midnight when we were asleep in bed, a man walked right into our bedroom! Then he said something and left. By the time we got up and looked in the hallway nobody was there. I called the front desk and was told that a maintenance worker who needed to do painting in one of the rooms had walked into the wrong room and they were sorry and would compensate us in the morning. Having been jolted awake, it pretty much ended our chance for sleep after that. The next morning the man at the desk told us he would give us "a good deal" the next time we came to the hotel. You've got to be kidding...that's how you apologize for a strange man walking into your bedroom in the middle of the night!? I persisted and he finally agreed to discount the price of our room by $60...it was something at least, but he acted as though we were being silly and it really was no big deal. Lastly, the breakfast was inedible. I don't say this lightly...my husband and I are not picky eaters. We appreciate good restaurants, but we also commonly eat in little Mom and Pop cafes, heck, we even are fine with fast food restaurants. But we actually could not eat this food. There was one inch of granola remaining in the canister which I tried to consume, but it was so dry and stale I actually could not chew it even when I let it soak in milk. My husband tried the pastries which were also so dry that they were too hard to chew. We finally settled on the fruit which was fresh and good. There was not even the option of tea to drink so I had water. It was the worst breakfast we had in almost three weeks of being on the road. Not a nice way to start the day. So overall, this stay was a huge disappointment and we would not stay here again.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank anameineed
Reviewed 6 October 2013

What we thought was just a quick overnighter (we live in Tuolumne County) became an unexpected fabulous experience!
The hotel has been completely redecorated and is stunning! The rooms are beautiful and comfy. The door opened to an expansive and beautiful balcony. The restored atmosphere and service were delightful.
We also enjoyed the bar which offered high quality well liquor and Dan, the bartender, was friendly and professional.
This was a first class stay and we have already reserved the room for a return visit on New Year's Eve! Truly looking forward to our return!

Room Tip: Request a balcony room unless you object to noise from local bar.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kim92212
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We were referred to the by another hotel when they heard our next town to stay in was Jackson. They said it was recently renovated. I'm extremely happy to have taken their advice. What a beautiful hotel. Modern amenities like flat panel TV, amazing air conditioning controls that really worked, great water pressure for shower & bath, huge soft towels, and a very comfortable bed! Everything so fresh and clean. Yet you feel like you stepped back in time to the old mining town of the 1850's!
The Staff made us feel like we were the only guests there!
The National proved to be our best stay for the entire vacation!
Definitely the right place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Doug O
Reviewed 2 September 2013

a Magnificent restoration, this hotel has a great staff, great food and a wonderful atmosphere.
Jackson is a fun shopping destination and there is a nearby casino. There is also a true foodie cooking store in town

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank csimmamps
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Amador County is only 1.5 hours from the SF East Bay, and has so much to offer!

I booked a Queen Suite with Balcony access - the John Wayne Suite, where John Wayne actually stayed during a movie shoot in Sonora - for our Saturday night stay. I am super picky about hotel rooms, and I was DELIGHTED with this room - I could not find a single fault with this room, or anything about the hotel for that matter. I loved the excellent clean white, beautifully detailed duvet and quality linens, carpeting, gorgeous antique furniture, stone fireplace, balcony...all of this was enough for me - but my husband LOVED the huge flat screen TV with Direct TV HD! Thank you, National Hotel, for not "deciding for us" whether or not we'd watch TV! And I loved the Gilchrist & Soames products, the shower was excellent and roomy, the parking was convenient, and the bar across the street was entertaining too!

We had dinner at The National Hotel's "Stanley's Steakhouse" on their dining patio. Dinner was excellent. We had yummy National Margaritas, Wedge salad, Heirloom tomato salad, filet mignon and Baked Alaska!

The National's employees were lovely - happy, genuinely friendly, interesting, professional and helpful. From registration, to general management, to restaurant, to housekeeping, to check out - everyone was wonderful.

So our tour of Amador County began with lunch at Taste Restaurant in Plymouth, a visit to Story Winery and Helwig Vineyard in Plymouth's Shenandoah Valley, a walk around Jackson and sitting on the balcony at The National Hotel, dinner at Stanley's Steakhouse, breakfast at Rosebud's Café in Jackson, a wade into the Mokelumne River just outside of Jackson, lunch at the Hotel Leger in Mokelumne Hill which included a self-guided tour of their lovely rooms and the new wine/event cellar that was renovated by Hotel Impossible last year!

Thank you, National Hotel for a terrific stay! We loved every minute, and greatly appreciated all the hospitality!

Folks, this Hotel absolutely deserves your business!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PTown4545
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
Best Western Amador Inn
#1 of 1 in Mokelumne Hill
The Jackson Lodge
The Jackson Lodge
#5 of 7 in Jackson

Been to The National Hotel? Share your experiences!