“Very nice Gold Country Historic Hotel witha great balcony!”
Review of The National Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Jackson
The National Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Jackson
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We just stayed at the National Hotel on Christmas Eve and had a great time. It's a very well renovated historic hotel dating from the Gold Rush. As soon as you walk in the front door, you can feel the history. All of the staff at the National are very welcoming, helpful and professional. The rooms are very clean and comfortable, and the whole hotel has a lot of character.

We had the John Wayne room on the 2nd floor facing Main street, so we had use of the awesome front balcony, which is a great place to drink a glass of wine while wearing the big, warm bathrobe hanging int he room. Once the wine was gone and it started to get a little chilly outside, we moved back inside and turned on the faux fireplace for some warmth and lounged on the perfectly comfortable bed. The bathroom didn't have a full bath, but the awesome water pressure of the shower made up for that.

The included breakfast was pretty good; sausages, eggs, fruit, granola, pastries and the usual selection of beverages. I walked into the deli cafe pretty late, right before they were closing up for breakfast at 10am, and there wasn't much left at the buffet so the server offered to put in an order for a couple of fried eggs with the restaurant for me :)

We didn't get a chance to check out the restaurant for dinner, but we did have a couple of cocktails at The Main Event, the bar down the street and had fun there.

Can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the street so that get access to the front balcony.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank whatwouldjessedo

Reviewed 6 November 2013

We had a great one night stay for my birthday in October. We had heard about the renovation of the hotel and decided to check it out. Our room was very comfortable and the dinner in Stanley's Steak House in the lower floor of the hotel was outstanding! The entire meal was excellent but the pumpkin flan especially will not be forgotten soon! I knew that it was a very old hotel, but the thought of ghosts did not cross my mind until I went to bed and read the "wifi code" which referred to that subject and I thought "Hummm???" We had no visitors during the night, but I asked one of the staff, the next morning, and found out that we had slept in one of the two "most haunted" rooms! We were very interested in the ghostly stories and it gave us some bragging rights….after the fact:) Made for a fun memorable birthday stay!

Room Tip: Try# 215 if you want to increase your chances of a ghostly visit…..avoid it if you do not:) I was to...
1  Thank SusanVM
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We spent two nights at The National Hotel on our trip up and down historic Hwy 49. We loved it! The hotel has been renovated but it has kept it's historic charm. Walking around the hotel and looking at everything was an a delightful experience. Our room was beautiful and comfortable. We had access to the front balcony and enjoyed it very much. The free breakfast in the morning was delicious. The staff was helpful and always cheerful. We had the pleasure to meet the hotel's owner one evening also. We look forward to another stay in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with access to the balcony.
3  Thank Edie S
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I travel often to Jackson to visit family and have never been thrilled with my hotel options. When I found the National was open again thought I would give it a shot. While the rates are comparable to other chain hotels in the area, the experience can't even compare. The National is completely renovated while maintaining much of its charm The rooms are a bit small but still 5 star (I did not want to leave my bed it was so comfy and the bathroom amenities are all high quality). Every worker I came into contact with- from the manager to the person refilling the coffee at breakfast was incredibly nice and helpful. I will definitely be coming back.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank mjkSeattle
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We love staying in vintage hotels and seek them out wherever we go. This building was really attractive which is why I am still giving a review of 3, even though our stay was far from enjoyable. Here are the good features: convenient free parking structure behind the hotel, great location with our balcony overlooking the main street, pleasant desk staff at check-in. Now for the bad parts: Our keys would not stay working...we went down twice to have them rekeyed and when one of them stopped working the third time we gave up and just got by with one key for the two of us. At midnight when we were asleep in bed, a man walked right into our bedroom! Then he said something and left. By the time we got up and looked in the hallway nobody was there. I called the front desk and was told that a maintenance worker who needed to do painting in one of the rooms had walked into the wrong room and they were sorry and would compensate us in the morning. Having been jolted awake, it pretty much ended our chance for sleep after that. The next morning the man at the desk told us he would give us "a good deal" the next time we came to the hotel. You've got to be kidding...that's how you apologize for a strange man walking into your bedroom in the middle of the night!? I persisted and he finally agreed to discount the price of our room by $60...it was something at least, but he acted as though we were being silly and it really was no big deal. Lastly, the breakfast was inedible. I don't say this lightly...my husband and I are not picky eaters. We appreciate good restaurants, but we also commonly eat in little Mom and Pop cafes, heck, we even are fine with fast food restaurants. But we actually could not eat this food. There was one inch of granola remaining in the canister which I tried to consume, but it was so dry and stale I actually could not chew it even when I let it soak in milk. My husband tried the pastries which were also so dry that they were too hard to chew. We finally settled on the fruit which was fresh and good. There was not even the option of tea to drink so I had water. It was the worst breakfast we had in almost three weeks of being on the road. Not a nice way to start the day. So overall, this stay was a huge disappointment and we would not stay here again.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank anameineed
Reviewed 6 October 2013

What we thought was just a quick overnighter (we live in Tuolumne County) became an unexpected fabulous experience!
The hotel has been completely redecorated and is stunning! The rooms are beautiful and comfy. The door opened to an expansive and beautiful balcony. The restored atmosphere and service were delightful.
We also enjoyed the bar which offered high quality well liquor and Dan, the bartender, was friendly and professional.
This was a first class stay and we have already reserved the room for a return visit on New Year's Eve! Truly looking forward to our return!

Room Tip: Request a balcony room unless you object to noise from local bar.
2  Thank Kim92212
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We were referred to the by another hotel when they heard our next town to stay in was Jackson. They said it was recently renovated. I'm extremely happy to have taken their advice. What a beautiful hotel. Modern amenities like flat panel TV, amazing air conditioning controls that really worked, great water pressure for shower & bath, huge soft towels, and a very comfortable bed! Everything so fresh and clean. Yet you feel like you stepped back in time to the old mining town of the 1850's!
The Staff made us feel like we were the only guests there!
The National proved to be our best stay for the entire vacation!
Definitely the right place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Doug O
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
Best Western Amador Inn
The Historic Hotel Leger
The Historic Hotel Leger
#1 of 1 in Mokelumne Hill
Jackson Rancheria Casino Resort

Been to The National Hotel? Share your experiences!