“Nice amenities, but I'm glad I had a coupon”
Review of The National Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Jackson
The National Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Jackson
Elk Grove, California
“Nice amenities, but I'm glad I had a coupon”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

My husband and I just spent one night at the National Hotel in Downtown Jackson. It's like stepping back in time. The hotel has been beautifully renovated, but there were just a few downfalls. The rooms are quite small, the mattress was very firm (my husband complained of a backache the next morning) and folklore says the hotel is haunted. I'm not superstitious, so that haunting part didn't bother me, but it did freak my husband out a little bit.
The upside... the bathroom was beautiful, we had a jetted bathtub and a separate shower. The continental breakfast was nice.
Full price? Probably not, but we got a half price deal so it was worth every penny of that.

Room Tip: Great wine tasting just about 20 minutes away in Plymouth, Ca. About 39 wineries and all very close...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank colleen l

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
San Jose, CA
Reviewed 3 March 2014

My husband and I often stay in Jackson at chain motels on our way to skiing at Kirkwood. This weekend we wanted something different and found the National Hotel. What a treat! The staff was super friendly and helpful, the room sparkling clean, and the bed very comfortable. The restoration was done really well: an old-time feel with modern conveniences. We enjoyed the balcony overlooking Main Street. The hotel is a great asset to historic Jackson.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank onthego_sj
California
Reviewed 3 January 2014

My husband and I stayed last night at the National Hotel in Jackson, Ca. This hotel deserves a 5 star rating. From the moment we checked in until the time we checked out we were treated like we were at the Ritz. Rebecca who checked us in and showed us to our room gave us a history lesson on the hotel and explained the refurbishment done by the present owner. A renovation of 4.5 Million and you can see it everywhere. I was also impressed with the knowledge about the hotel by every employee we spoke with. They must have a great training program. The floors in the bathrooms are Marble, the bedding must be 2500 count with down. The beds were the most comfortable we have ever slept in. The toiletries were Gilchrest and Soames. The bath towels were the size of beach towels, plush and white as were the individual robes. They have used soothing earthtones so it is very peaceful feeling. The continental breakfast was as expected with the addition of an attendant who made a great latte on request. They have a really good Steak House downstairs which is full of nostalgia. When you stay, be sure to take a few minutes and walk around this historic hotel....and yes, you may see or hear some "un-paying guests". Here's a hint password for free internet is "ghost". Oh well I found them friendly and not too disruptive (maybe they were tired after the New Years weekend!) The hotel is located right at the end of the Main Street of Jackson so you can walk everywhere and see all the cute shops in Jackson. I really can't say enough except make it a stop whenever cruising Hwy 49 in the California Gold Country. We had room 218 which was a King with a small wall fireplace, very spacious yet cozy.

Room Tip: We looked at several rooms and loved the feeling of 218, however there are suites on the frontside o...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Doliver
Alameda, CA
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We just stayed at the National Hotel on Christmas Eve and had a great time. It's a very well renovated historic hotel dating from the Gold Rush. As soon as you walk in the front door, you can feel the history. All of the staff at the National are very welcoming, helpful and professional. The rooms are very clean and comfortable, and the whole hotel has a lot of character.

We had the John Wayne room on the 2nd floor facing Main street, so we had use of the awesome front balcony, which is a great place to drink a glass of wine while wearing the big, warm bathrobe hanging int he room. Once the wine was gone and it started to get a little chilly outside, we moved back inside and turned on the faux fireplace for some warmth and lounged on the perfectly comfortable bed. The bathroom didn't have a full bath, but the awesome water pressure of the shower made up for that.

The included breakfast was pretty good; sausages, eggs, fruit, granola, pastries and the usual selection of beverages. I walked into the deli cafe pretty late, right before they were closing up for breakfast at 10am, and there wasn't much left at the buffet so the server offered to put in an order for a couple of fried eggs with the restaurant for me :)

We didn't get a chance to check out the restaurant for dinner, but we did have a couple of cocktails at The Main Event, the bar down the street and had fun there.

Can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the street so that get access to the front balcony.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank whatwouldjessedo
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We had a great one night stay for my birthday in October. We had heard about the renovation of the hotel and decided to check it out. Our room was very comfortable and the dinner in Stanley's Steak House in the lower floor of the hotel was outstanding! The entire meal was excellent but the pumpkin flan especially will not be forgotten soon! I knew that it was a very old hotel, but the thought of ghosts did not cross my mind until I went to bed and read the "wifi code" which referred to that subject and I thought "Hummm???" We had no visitors during the night, but I asked one of the staff, the next morning, and found out that we had slept in one of the two "most haunted" rooms! We were very interested in the ghostly stories and it gave us some bragging rights….after the fact:) Made for a fun memorable birthday stay!

Room Tip: Try# 215 if you want to increase your chances of a ghostly visit…..avoid it if you do not:) I was to...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SusanVM
Upland, California
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We spent two nights at The National Hotel on our trip up and down historic Hwy 49. We loved it! The hotel has been renovated but it has kept it's historic charm. Walking around the hotel and looking at everything was an a delightful experience. Our room was beautiful and comfortable. We had access to the front balcony and enjoyed it very much. The free breakfast in the morning was delicious. The staff was helpful and always cheerful. We had the pleasure to meet the hotel's owner one evening also. We look forward to another stay in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with access to the balcony.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Edie S
seattle
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I travel often to Jackson to visit family and have never been thrilled with my hotel options. When I found the National was open again thought I would give it a shot. While the rates are comparable to other chain hotels in the area, the experience can't even compare. The National is completely renovated while maintaining much of its charm The rooms are a bit small but still 5 star (I did not want to leave my bed it was so comfy and the bathroom amenities are all high quality). Every worker I came into contact with- from the manager to the person refilling the coffee at breakfast was incredibly nice and helpful. I will definitely be coming back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank mjkSeattle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
Best Western Amador Inn
The Historic Hotel Leger
The Historic Hotel Leger
#1 of 1 in Mokelumne Hill
Jackson Rancheria Casino Resort

Been to The National Hotel? Share your experiences!