“OK For The Price”

Jamestown Railtown Motel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Jamestown
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We had a guaranteed 3 day reservation through Expedia. We arrived late at about 9 and found our room had been given away. They put us up in the Miners Motel. We came back after one night there.
Note Jamestown is a 1.5 hour drive on very winding roads from Yosemite Village.
We stayed in upstairs room 22 for 2 nights. The bed was very comfortable. For a motel the room was spacious. The building is older and could use some updating. The room was clean. The location is quiet and we were able to sleep with the window open to avoid using the A/C.
The satellite TV service was spotty in that it wouldn't recognize the card in the satellite box.

Room Tip: Try to get an upstairs room so you can use the window for fresh air while sleeping.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 July 2013

We stayed here in late June,2013, while on a motorcycle trip. We ended up staying 3 nights rather than 2 due to rain. From the outside the place did not look too bad. The room was dated, okay, I can deal with that but it was also not real clean. The two chairs had stains and one of them had a faint urine smell. The window was very dirty and there were dead flies in the window sill. I dropped something on the floor between the bed & nightstand & when I retrieved it I found notes from prior occupants. Some crumbs from something my spouse was eating dropped onto the easy chair & he lifted up the cushion to clean it up & there were several dried up bits of food from prior occupants. If this hotel were not in a tourist area it would be a $40-50/night hotel; not an $80/night which is what we paid (we were there mid-week). A good cleaning, including the carpet, some new drapes & bedspread that went with the carpet and OH, almost forgot, sheets that actually fit the bed, would go a long ways in improving this hotel. I would only stay here again if there were no other option. On the good side, it was just off the main street of Jamestown, so you could walk to the few shops & restaurants there and it was pretty quiet while we were there. We could hear the people upstairs walking around but they were not too loud & went to bed before 11 p.m.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank tandjinwa
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I have never dealt with such an unprofessional, condescending, person in the hospitality business in my life. I left a pre paid room to drive over an hour and paid a lot more just to get away from this place. These people need a lesson in customer service.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Turbo12442
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Stayed overnight on trip from Las Vegas to San Francisco Bay Area. The motel is about 2 blocks off of the highway so all rooms are quiet. Very nice staff; was upgraded to a king bed with Jacuzzi in the room. Rooms are basic with older TV's but well maintained. Lots of hot water and shower has the extended curtain rod so it's roomier. Pool was very clean. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Studio9
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Chose this hotel based on other Tripadvisor reviews and was very pleased. The staff was pleasant and friendly and upgraded me to a comfortable king bed room with a Jacuzzi, which was deeply appreciated after a 700 mile motorcycle trip. The room was clean and larger than I expected, and the pool was sparkling. Great value for the area and I will stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Studio9
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Stayed here recently on our way from San Francisco to Yosemite. We had stumbled upon a little gem of a place. Up the road is comumbia, a wild west town, which is worth a visit. Railtown which is next to jamestown, has a lot of steam engines and is also worth a visit. The railtown hotel is cheap, basic but clean and has a small pool. I would recommend a stop here on the way to Yosemite.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2013

My husband and I stayed for a night and wish we could have stayed longer. Nice comfortable room, Nice pool. Great service. I left my sandals out by the pool at night, and they were right outside the gate in the morning waiting for me.We enjoyed it and will stay there again! We ate at Pete's (within walking distance). Very good Greek and American food.

Room Tip: we were downstairs just behind the pool in room 27. We had a little side yard and chairs outside to...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jamestown
0 mi away
#2 of 8 in Sonora
Country Inn Sonora
Country Inn Sonora
#5 of 5 in Jamestown

Been to Jamestown Railtown Motel? Share your experiences!