“Jamestown Gold Panning” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of California Gold Panning

California Gold Panning
Ranked #3 of 12 things to do in Jamestown
More attraction details
Owner description: Come have fun learning to pan & sluice on our claim on the historic Woods Creek. Keep all of the gold that you find! Our private claim has not been mined by the public in many years. We are only a 5 mile detour on your way to or from Yosemite! This is a must on your Bucket List!
Sun City, California, United States
91 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 159 helpful votes
“Jamestown Gold Panning”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2013

There's gold in them thar hills.! And with the help of Preacher John (30-yr miner) we found some. My Daughter (13) has wanted to go panning for a long time so we carved out a few hours to have some fun. We had an awesome time, but Ill tell ya.. this is a no frills activity (fun 4 the whole family) They supply the Boots, shovels, buckets, clarifyer, sluice, gold bottle & a lot of know how... You supply the blood sweat & muscle. Ok maybe you wont loose any blood but a blackberry thicket & I had issues..lol We went in April so temps were in low 80s... Bring water as digging on the creekside is hard work. In about an hour we had sifted 4 1/2 buckets of material to run throught the sluice & then panned it out. This group is awesome with the care & knowlege of the instruction. John spent much time with my daughter teaching her how to pan properly. Im partialy disabled so John drove me down to the riverbank in his truck. These guys go out of their way to make everyones experience a positive one. We got a little better than a half gram of gold as well as a beautiful chunk of quartz riddled with gold flake(awesome.!)

Anyway, they let you keep whatever you find. They have great package deals for treasure seekers at any level. For those that are experienced (bout $25 a day wih no instruction.. you bring own tools or you can rent them cheaply). We highly recommend Jamestown Gold Panning & look forward to stopping by again when we are up this way, Nicole is already planning out our next trip.

Visited April 2013
5 Thank Christopher W

Søborg
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fun and joyfull,”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2012

Good teaching. Where there only for 2 hours, but still found a little gold and had a great time.

Visited October 2012
2 Thank KlausSH
San Mateo, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“"We found Gold"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

I recently took a vacation with my son. It was an important time for us and all he asked to do was to go "Gold panning". Sadly, he was unable attend this school field trip with his classmates due to district busses and their budget cuts. Yes another let down for our youth and the school systems! I am a single mother and was hesitant about traveling out to a place I was unfamiliar with, and spending a lot of money we did not have to possibly come out of this empty handed. We wanted the real deal, to work hard, dig deep and get dirty to find some gold. Understand, this is no walk in the park, we worked liked dogs, we dug in deep mud holes and shoveled a lot of rocks, emptied the shoveled dirt into the bucket with the strainer. Together we filled and carried the buckets full of sand and mud, back and forth, to the other side of the water hole where the sluice was. There we ran the sand and mud threw the sluice box. Then we began the process all over again. Filling about 10 buckets total. To my complete surprise at the end of our time when John was showing us how to pan for the gold, my son found several large flakes. I nearly passed out when he showed me the size of a nugget he found. John is very experienced and extremely knowledgeable about the details of his job. He will take you to where the gold is so everyone leaves with a good experience. John is amazing with folks of all ages, and was patient with everyone. There was about 4 groups of us total in different areas and about 102 degrees outside. John never failed to check on every group and assist when he was needed constantly. Im a visual person so to see that John is very involved, and did not hesitate once to go in the holes and help dig, pan or assist when needed at any time was a relief, instead of just barking instructions from the shore. I never felt more comfortable as a single parent with my son miles away from home while working so hard. The surroundings were breathtaking. Standing dripping wet in the river with the sun shining threw the trees I could not help but stop and smile... There were butterflies and dragon flies of all colors flying by all the time. Getting to work hand in hand with my son during this adventure of gold panning was completely unremarkable. The best part... next to finding the gold..... was when my 11-year old son grabbed my hand and said, " Mom, this was the best vacation of my life".

Thank you John!

4 Thank Lisa P
Montreal, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“An experience like no other!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

We had such a great time with Miner John last weekend! This was our first experience and will certainly not be our last! his knowledge and patience was more comforting and encouraging! he took time to show me more of the "how to" techniques and explained the "why's" with care instead of making me feel like a nuisance (like a bad experience I once had from another mining site near by). I will definately recommend scheduling some time with him, its so worth the trip.

2 Thank Myrna G
Montreal, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Everything I expected...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

I hadn't been mining since I was a kid, and was VERY happy I chose Jamestown and so were the wife and kids. This *is* the real deal, so if you're looking for an actual experience that you'll look back on for years to come, then don't look anywhere else in the area. John and company ARE the real deal and provide the kind of environment that you'd want to bring your family to. Bottom line: Awesome, with a capital "S"!
(Keep on stacking!)