“Good hard work, take home gold!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of California Gold Panning

California Gold Panning
Ranked #3 of 12 things to do in Jamestown
More attraction details
Owner description: Come have fun learning to pan & sluice on our claim on the historic Woods Creek. Keep all of the gold that you find! Our private claim has not been mined by the public in many years. We are only a 5 mile detour on your way to or from Yosemite! This is a must on your Bucket List!
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Good hard work, take home gold!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Our family took the family package for my husband's birthday. Our daughter is 8yo so I allowed her to meander between helping and catching critters (crayfish, water striders, bullfrog tadpole, tiny frog!) The point was for us all to have fun and I didn't want a struggle to make her help if she didn't want to. My husband and I dived right in and shoveled mud and sand and rock into a bin to be sluiced. Most of the time was spent doing this. Another group was there as well. We got the sluice first and shoveled our pile in. Our daughter enjoyed clearing the rocks out of the sluice - pretty rocks. :). From there, we panned the "concentrates.". And we found gold!! It was pretty exciting! All of us learned a lot. My husband got two small bottles - one with larger chunks and the other with the tiny bits (plus a little sand.). We also got our own pan! One suggestion, if you have a kid, either bring or ask for an extra small bottle. Our daughter wished she had one for herself for the gold she panned. (We'll see if my husband will let her take his gold to school! Lol!)

Visited June 2014
3 Thank Kiki J

Lake Grove, Ny
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Lots of fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

Panning for gold is an art. If you want to go back in time and see how they panned for gold this is the place to do it.
My husband and his brother spent 2 hours playing in the mud like little school boys and both found so gold, but not enough to pay the tab. They totally enjoyed themselves, created a new memory. Two hours was more then enough time !

Visited June 2014
North Beach, Maryland
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 135 helpful votes
“My Husband Loved it and we both had a great time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

Minor John was very helpful and funny. He helped and showed us exactly what we were to do to find some gold. We went 2 times cause my husband always had this on his bucket list to do and he loves the old movie" Treasure of the Sierra Madras". John helped my husband with some of the digging on day 2 because I decided once was enough for me. We found John very pleasant knowledgeable about all aspects of gold mining. I would recommend to anyone that wants to learn and have fun gold mining.

Visited October 2013
4 Thank loulou215
Sherman, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Well Worth The Trip. 1-5-14”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

I called Miner John on a Friday and asked about coming out on Sunday. He said that would be fine and he would meet me there at 9am. I show up Sunday a few minutes early and John was waiting on me. We went down to the creek where he had a place picked out for me to run a highbanker. He set everything up for me, so all I had to do was start digging. I've done quite a bit of prospecting in the past, but I had forgotten how much work it was. He came back about an hour later and helped me do a clean-up to see how it was looking. Found several nice flakes in the first pan. I ran for about another two hours when he came back down to check on me, and I told him I had all I could handle for the day so we did our last clean-up. The second pan yielded some more nice flakes with a nice picker, and one smaller picker. He called it a nugglet. :)
I was a little rusty (Slow) on my panning so John gave me a refresher on panning and was very knowledgeable. John's a super nice guy and I won't hesitate to go back if I'm in the area again.
Thanks, John. I had a great time.

Visited January 2014
4 Thank Tom G
Santa Monica, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Fantastic experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

My husband and I and our three kids (ages 9, 8 and 4) had an incredible time at Jamestown Gold Panning. In just two hours, we learned so much - John and his team showed us where and how to dig the dirt (harder work than we expected but wonderful that we got to do it ourselves and lots of fun), fill the sluice, empty it, and pan for gold (we needed some help with this last step!). The kids were thrilled to walk away with real gold - as well as with great memories and a much greater understanding of the gold mining process and gold rush history.

Visited December 2013