“Folks this is the real deal!”

Gold Prospecting Adventures
Ranked #2 of 13 things to do in Jamestown
More attraction details
Owner description: As seen on every major network including Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, Discovery and History Channels, Tokyo TV, CBS and read about in the New York Times, The San Francisco Chronicle, the Shock Family has some of the most experienced and knowledgeable prospectors in all of Gold Country. We will open doors for the novice to the professional that you may have not known existed. You may lose your pictures but you will never forget the memories. Come have a blast into the past finding gold and learning the art of prospecting on the historic Woods Creek. The surest way to ensure the future is by touching the past.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Gold Prospecting Adventures located in Jamestown, California was a wonderful unforgettable experience. I not only achieved my goal of finding out how to pan, sluice, snipe for gold and read a river, I also met some very good, honest, hard working staff members who showed me the ropes.

These people are the real deal. Three generations of being in the prospecting business. They are very knowledgeable in all aspects of gold prospecting but also very interested in promoting the love and history of gold prospecting. They truly exemplify the spirit of the old 49'ers.

I signed up for their three day course which included gold panning, sluicing, sniping, tour of mines and other very interesting historical and geological points of interest and gold metal detecting. I was told not to bring any equipment that they would provide everything I needed. They provided everything.

I was given a prime spot on their claim for looking for gold and was accompanied just about the whole time by one of their friendly courteous knowledgeable staff members. As we were both working, even though the staff member (Dustin) found gold that rightly was his he instead offered to give it to me. This is how they are, putting the customer first and attempting to instill the love and lore of gold prospecting. I also appreciated the tour they gave me of old mines and digs from the original 49ers.

The thing I liked least about the experience was the heat. When I went the area was experiencing a heat wave and the temperature was over 100 degrees. It worked out though because the river water was very warm and the ice cold water I brought to drink never tasted so good. The staff member also chose a nice shaded area on the claim.

I come away from my three day experience of panning, sluicing, sniping and metal detecting with being confident that not only do I know where to look for gold but how to get it. I also come away with what it was like back in the good ole days of the 49ers.

If you want to acquire the skills to find gold, meet great people and get a glimpse of what it was like during the gold rush, I highly recommend going to historic Jamestown and experiencing the "real deal".

Vince from the Bay Area

4  Thank vince h
There are newer reviews for Gold Prospecting Adventures

Reviewed 17 August 2011

Brent, Bryant and staff have provided me, my sons and friends with an unbeatable experience gold prospecting in the heart of California's Motherlode. Over the past several years G.P.A.has gone out of their way to accommodate, even on short notice, assuring us a wonderful experience. The firm provides all equipment and very knowledgeable guides to assure your prospecting success and a pleasurable visit. If Dustin is available, be sure to ask for him, he is a great young man. The bucolic location along a shady creek makes
for a perfect setting, bring a picnic lunch! Twice I have brought my teenage son, he keeps
asking to come back...as a former high school teacher, that speaks volumes in itself to me.
My last visit was to give a 70 year old colleague the experience of prospecting for gold. He had a ball! I recommend Gold Prospecting Adventures to all ages and all ability levels.

5  Thank John P
Reviewed 8 August 2011

Wow, just thinking back to what we have just done, and what comes to me say first is just Wow. We are totally shattered, and we had the best 3 hours doing "panning for gold"

We'd looked into doing something like this for a few weeks, and we called the company prior to to book in a 3 hour session. We didn't know what to expect, and I think my husband went along with it, because he saw how enthusiastic my son and I were about this type of experience. We pulled up at the shop and paid, we were given a voucher to give to our guide and map to the location some 5 minutes drive away, that had ample parking.

We pulled up, parked, and went down to meet our guide Dustin, who was going to explain and teach us about all things gold. He quickly got us into our wellies, and I put my 1 year old in a really nice shadded area where he watched us digging in the stream. We dug for a bout 20 minutes, it took that long only because were were all so slow, but Dustin came along and gave us a hand. We really was amazing, and we couldn't thank him enough for bringing this experience alive for us. He taught us how to pan, and we actually found a really nice sized nugget the size of finger nail that we put aside in the vile he gave us. We then moved on to the sluice box side of things which again was great fun, but very very tiring.

If you are in the area, or in and around Yosemite, you HAVE to do this, it really really was a great day had by all.

2  Thank wolsy1
Reviewed 25 July 2011

Our Boy Scout Troop reserved time with Brent an his crew to pan for gold. We had a large group of panners (ranging in age from 8 to 60's) and Brent and his staff of two gave each panner an ample amount of attention to ensure each was comfortable with what they were learning. The area was well kept and even had picnic tables where our kids had their lunch. Everyone in our group walked away with a vial of gold. Thanks to GPA, Brent and the city of Jamestown.

2  Thank MonstersMom
Reviewed 3 July 2011

My husband had been wanting to learn how to do gold panning as a hobby so on our camping trip to Columbia June 2011, we did the 3 hour panning and sluicing trip with Dustin, He is great, very knowledgeable and taught us allot. Another couple and their daughter showed late but, he was able to tend to both my husband and me and them with no problem. He seems to be great with kids, really makes a big deal when the kids find gold. We came home with gold, one piece is big enough that you can hear it rattle when you shake the bottle. We are so happy we decided to do our first gold panning with Gold Prospecting Adventures. Everyone at the shop are great too, and they have a good supply of gold prospecting supplies. I recoment 3 hours or more time flyes when your having fun.

3  Thank rdmcgowan