“Look elsewhere”
Review of The Palm Hotel

The Palm Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Jamestown B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

When we arrived we were unimpressed with this bed and breakfast, there were alot of overgrown plants/weeds, It was hot and musty inside and upon check in the air had not been turned on which was promptly turned on.

We did not sleep well at all since the mattresses are so old and sagging, the pillows are so old they are flat and barking dogs early in the morning sparked a skunk to spray and that air was pumped through the inn.

The room was dusty, the furnishings did not resemble a victorian room with an old tv that buzzed and changing channels was difficult, bad remote or batteries were almost dead. There were some nice antique pieces in the room but mixed with non victorian pieces that were not period. It seemed like a thrift store.

Also we were surprised that we had to rent dvds for $2.00 per movie when we have had them free in all other B & B's

So after no sleep we came downstairs to see there was no coffee which was remedied about 10 minutes later, we were also told that there was a shortage of seating and our group could not sit together unless we went outside to the back patio. The breakfast was unappealing at best an egg souffle with chips and salsa.

We were hoping this would be a great stay based on previous reviews however there were so many negative issues here that I could never recommend this place and hopefully the owners will update the rooms/beds/pillows and bedding. At this price having chips and salsa for breakfast is unacceptable.

The owners were friendly and accommodating and we appreciate there kindness towards us.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank jb1301

Reviewed 5 July 2014

My husband and I checked in for an anniversary get-away. We really loved the "double double" room with side-by-side bathtubs -- lovely way to relax after a cave adventure. A bathtub bookcase was a very thoughtful touch, as was the bubble bath and the fresh robes.

Alas, my husband didn't really sleep well on the mattress.

Maybe my expectations were too high based on other B&B experiences (fresh-baked cookies!), but I was disappointed not to be greeted with snacks upon check-in. The breakfast was plentiful, and looked pretty, but the baked eggs would have been much nicer with vegetables and cheese, and much of the fruit was rather tasteless.

Some travelers will appreciate the Christian decor and books.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I spent two nights in a spacious Victorian themed bedroom. Very clean and attractive. Breakfast was delicious and different each day. Host and hostess very friendly and accommodating. I enjoyed conversing with several couples visiting from other countries.
Only small downside was lack of soundproofing between floors. I could hear all walking and hum of conversation in the room above me. Might have been a real lack of privacy for a honeymoon couple if they stayed on the 2nd floor.

Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We enjoyed a single overnight here on our way to Yosemite last weekend and were glad that we did. Owners Ken and Anita are very gracious people who do their best to please. We were treated to a special-needs breakfast (gluten-free) that was out of this world! Breakfast was served in a screened conservatoryand it was a beautiful morning with bright sunny skies and bird songs. Room 3 on the first floor had a very comfortable queen bed and the bath boasted a big claw-foot tub. In typical Victorian style, there isn't a lot of space in the rooms, which have a rather dimly-lit and cluttered feel, but we like this and felt very much at home...cozy. Everything was clean and worked in our room. The furnishings are antique-ish and well-used. We raised the sashed windows (screened) and enjoyed fresh air all night and felt safe even though we were located on the ground floor. Once you read about the history of this home (provided on your bed pillows), you will understand the reason for check-in counter in the entry. The widow of the Railtown entrepreneur who built it added another floor to accommodate boarders (mostly miners and railroad workers). ..so..it served early on as a boarding house, then as a hotel. The current owners have been there for about 10 years. If you are arriving after the 6:00pm check-in, they really appreciate a call to give them a heads-up. When you stay here, you can easily walk to Main Street to explore the historic buildings, shops and restaurants...lots of gold rush and Railtown history here. In our opinion, it all was "twice as nice at half the price". We'd go again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Our room on the ground floor seemed very quiet, but I think there was only one other couple spending...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Jamestown is a good resting place between the majestic grandeur of Yosemite and the history of the gold rush towns, although Jamestown itself is steeped in railway history. Victorian Gold is a homely B&B with a range of nice rooms (or at least the ones on the ground floor we saw were nice). As with most B&Bs, the owners 'retire' for the night reasonably early but are available should you encounter a problem. We didn't thankfully, but we did make use of the free coffee and cookies that were available through the evening. It's location is good, just a few minutes walking up a hill from downtown Jamestown so you won't need to drive to your local eatery (we recommend the National Hotel; it was one of only two open the night we visited Jamestown).

Breakfast consisted of fruit juice, coffee or tea, an absolutely gorgeous apple cake (I was tempted to go back for seconds but that might have denied another guest their piece) followed by a fairly standard cooked breakfast. You have a choice of sitting 'inside' or 'outside', the latter being the conservatory. We sat inside and were joined by three members of a family and enjoyed lively conversation. It was a good start to our day.

Room Tip: If you've got a heavy suitcase then the ground floor may be best. The stairs looked quite steep...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Deryck H
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We spent a night here while visiting Gold Country. It's a cute little place that looks good during the day and even cuter at night when the lights are up. Walking distance to downtown.

The reason I didn't give it a 5 star is that I feel that this B&B is a little 'commercialized'. When we walked in, there was a big marble/granite counter where we checked in, very much like a hotel. The check in process was efficient, the conversation was normal and formal. Personally, I find that it lacks the warm B&B appeal.

Room was decent with country style decor. The light was a little dim for me as I often like to read before bed time. I couldn't do that. One of the lamps didn't work and I asked to replace the bulb. They suppose to replace it while we were out but nothing was done when we got back - a bit disappointed on that front.

Both my husband and I didn't sleep well. The bed was a bit soft and not supporting the back very well. My husband said he had to sleep close to the center to avoid being rolled off the bed because the mattress was soft and lower on the edge

Breakfast starts at 8:30am. There were two courses - coffee cake and fruits, followed by main course. I'd say the breakfast is the most memorable of my stay here.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank codebeans
Reviewed 8 July 2013

stayed for 2 nights in june as we were visiting yosemite (bout 1hr - 1.5hrs away). lovely room in victorian homey style. large bathroom with huge shower. pretty quiet apart from the occasional motorbike nearby. breakfast is the best part of this place. all homemade, came in 2 courses with juice an coffee. think it changes regularly. drinks and snacks near front desk all the time. the owners are really nice too. only let down is jamestown itself - tiny, shops never seem to open. seems to be only one place to eat.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jamestown
Gunn House Hotel
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - Royal Carriage
Aladdin Inn
Aladdin Inn
#3 of 8 in Sonora

Been to The Palm Hotel? Share your experiences!