“Last-Minute Weekend Trip”

1859 Historic National Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Jamestown B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 14 April 2010

A friend recommended a trip to Jamestown when I mentioned it was our anniversary weekend and that my husband's hobby is trains. It was the opening weekend for Jamestown's Rail Town. We were not disappointed.

I called this hotel based on the great reviews they had and was pleased to find out they could accommodate a last-minute reservation. We were greeted very warmly upon our arrival and were very pleased with the comfortable room we had. The bathroom sink was in the bathroom, along with a shower and really cute pull-chain toilet. Yes, it was narrow, but I was pleased that each room had their own!

We had dinner in their restaurant downstairs and found it very lovely. We enjoyed our meal very much and the service was great. They offer a wonderful breakfast to their guests and we enjoyed that, as well. They had recommended spreading lemon curd on the french toast and it was delicious!! I'm going to do that at home!

The only thing I would find fault with would be the bed - it seemed to be sunken in the middle making it difficult not to roll into one another. But I can honestly say there haven't been many places I've stayed where the bed has been to my liking, so I just chalk it up to hotel beds. It just makes me appreciate my bed at home more!! :-)

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WanaBinHawaii
There are newer reviews for 1859 Historic National Hotel

Reviewed 1 April 2010

The National Hotel is a great little hotel with great managment. We were greeted warmly and treated with great hospitality. Very personal. The hotel has a great historic feel to it and has been greatly preserved. There is lots to do in the area and at the end of your day sightseeing you can look forward to great food prepare din the downstiars kitchen. Make your reservations because the food is so popular people come from around town to eat there and it fills up fast. There is a fantastic old soaking tub upstairs that is elaboratly stocked with music and bath essentials and great mood, most of all plenty of hot water, and sized for two. In the morning we got up a little late and were past the serving time, the owner of the hotel personally went into the kitchen and made sure we had what we needed and sat down with us and had a great conversation. I was really impressed by the hospitality and genuine care by Mr. Willey (hotel owner) Thansk again and we'll be back soon!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 March 2010

I have read the other Trip Advisor reviews on this hotel with some surprise - especially after our weekend there.

I stayed there with my 3 children. Fortunately, our rooms had private bathrooms (though tiny/narrow bathrooms, they were workable). Unfortunately, though, we were next to the communal bathroom, so we could hear everybody coming and going (literally...) The sinks don't fit in the bathrooms, so they are in the bedroom itself. There is a weird, Liliputian ledge above the sink that is so low, you can't see the faucet handles. Strangely designed. Similar design strangeness - there are hooks on both sides of the door to hang a chain across. The hook on one side is so close to the door handle that you can barely get the key in the door.

On the first morning (Saturday) of our stay, we were awakened by several people going to the bathroom before 6 am, and then by vacuuming in the main dining room below us.

The beds were fairly comfortable, though small (the largest is a Queen.) The decor in the room, while period-appropriate, is dark and heavy - the room would seem bigger if the decor were lightened up a bit. Both of our rooms faced the wall off the next door building (a few feet away), so our rooms were especially dark. If you go, be sure to ask for a room that doesn't look at the building next store!)

Good things included the soaking tub (a big bathtub) - though it's a little weird that you're supposed to tell the bartender that you're going to take a bath, and you have to clean it out yourself after (or before) your bath. There is coffee in the hallway in the morning - so you can meet all those people who kept you up the night before....

Dinner was fair, not excellent. The cherries jubilee was fun - they flame it at the tableside.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank LWE
national2, Proprietor at 1859 Historic National Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2010

I would like to start our response by saying, that our historic hotel is one of the oldest continuously operated hotels in the entire State of California, dating from 1859.

Think of John Wayne or Clint Eastwood in one of their westerns. The National Hotel has been completely restored with much of the original antiques, and the addition of modern plumbing, heating, a/c, etc. the rooms are on the small size, but authentic and immaculatly clean.

1. Some of the bathrooms are small, as they were added to this historic hotel in the areas where we were able to fit them.
2. We have no communal bathrooms, as each room has its own bath, and all rooms are reasonably insulated for sound.
3. 8 of the 9 rooms have queen size beds and the 9th has twins. We have no king size beds.
4. We have no housekeeper in the evening, so we ask anyone using the soaking room to wipe down the tub for the next person.
5. Although most of our dinner guests rave about their dining experience, we are not able to please everyone. We really do try!

I am sorry that this customer did not have a great experience. I suspect that she is more comfortable staying in the Hiltons and Embassy Suites of the World. and that, of course, is ok.

Reviewed 22 March 2010

I absolutely love the National Hotel! Have been going their with friends and family for more than 10 years and and love it more every time. They show a dedication to quality, service and ambiance that is just too hard to find these days. Also it's the best bang for my buck :) Full dinner, (no ala carte menu here), and each dish sautee'd to order (no Applebee's microwave needed). Oh, and don't forget the selection of flambe desserts because no other restaurant in the county does them.

Despite knowing all this already I still try other places once in a while.....and am never as satisfied as when I'm at a patio table surrounded by the herbs (yup, don't know ANY place around that grows it's own herbs), flowers and soft candle light. The inside is just as lovely and romantic as the outside. Did I mention the service? WoW! Friendly, knowledgeable and quick on their feet :)

I imagine everyone who reads internet reveiws has to take them with a grain of salt, but when the vast majority of them sing the praises of a place like the National than it's propbably a safe bet for any tourist visiting the area, and certainly any local. I read what the guy below me wrote and have to disagree, and I don't appreciate the comment "tourist's will swallow anything", since we are ALL tourists with a full range of taste buds when we get outta town. So read on, fellow travelers, and then head down to the National's Gold Rush era bar (the bartenders are a blast!) for a glass of wine (or a shot of tequilla, haha!) and a wonderfull dinner experience that will have you writing your own reveiw soon!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 March 2010

I used to frequent the National and recommended it to many of my friends. I loved the Chicken Marsala but my last couple of visits were disappointing to say the least. My dinner was below par and I even asked if they had changed chefs. They hadn't and he even came out to ask me what was wrong. I explained and after he apolgized, he went on to explain the quality of their food they were recieving was not what it used to be and asked if he could cook me something else. I thanked him but declined. My guests were pretty much in agreement as their food was not that great either. The wait staff was ok this time also but not as good as they used to be. A much longer wait and less attentive. Not being sure if the last couple of visits were a fluke or not, I STILL recomended it to my Nephew for a romantic dinner last night. He called this morning and expressed his displeasure with the preparation of their food and the quality. Now it was my turn to apolgize. I'm afraid this won't happen again. So even though tourists will swallow just about anything while on vacation and proclaim it was wonderful, I would venture the guess it was more the get-away than the content. I just can't recommend the National Hotel any longer.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
national2, Proprietor at 1859 Historic National Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2010

The National Hotel is known far and wide for its acclaimed dining and we always strive to provide the finest dining experience possible. Thus, it is indeed a disappointment to us when on the rare occasion, a customer complains about the quality of their meal or the service provided.

It is so rare, that our our executive chef remembers the incident from several months ago. Indeed, he went to the table and was told that the entree was too light on the Marsala flavor to the liking of the customer. He offered to redo the entree, but the customer said that he was all right with it and continued to dine.

We serve only the highest quality of food and at no time, have we had any problem receiving the quality that we desire. The sauces to all of our dishes are done to order; most of our herbs are freshly grown; beef is choice grade; fish is fresh or flash-frozen, etc.

The wait staff is highly experienced and have been with us for a number of years.

I do wish that this customer had contacted management to discuss their continuing concerns, as we always appreciate specific comments whether positive or negative..

Again, at all times, we strive to maintain the highest level of ambiance, service, presentation and quality of food. We are now in our 36th year of dining operation.

Reviewed 29 January 2010

We came to Jamestown to take a weekend course in gold prospecting. When I made reservations @ the National Hotel, I found out that the nightly room rate included a buffet breakfast the next morning.

The National Hotel is Jamestown is a delightful. The staff bends over backwards to cater to your comfort. The hotel is a two-story building, a quaint saloon and dining room are downstairs, hotel rooms are upstairs. Each bedroom includes a bathroom with a shower. There is also a literal 'bathroom' a room with a large, deep claw-foot bathtub, that can be used by any of the hotel guests. And after a day out shoveling rocks and mud in a creek, searching for gold, a soak in the tub felt luxurious.

The room; darling, from another era, floral carpet, wall paper with a border, lace curtains, and a queen size bouncy brass bed,antique furniture, no TV, no telephone, wonderfully clean.

The bed: (please understand, at home we have a Cal KingTempurpedic memory foam mattress with the adjustable, vibrating base. It is the ultimate in comfort!) The hotel bouncy brass bed is NOT a Tempurpedic. It's a more 'traditional' mattress with a 2-inch memory foam topper. It is comfortable and adequate. The hotel bed is probably much more comfortable for having the memory foam topper.

We had room #1, over the saloon. Our stay was for Friday and Saturday nights, I feared the saloon might be noisy, but it wan't.

Breakfast: Surprisingly nice for a hotel that had only a few rooms rented a stormy weekend at the near of January. There was fresh fruit - sliced and whole pieces, an array of cereals and breads, yogurt. Hot offerings included quiche and French toast with real maple syrup, teas and coffee. There were also fruit juices. My biggest criticism of our entire stay is, the first morning, the quiche was not very warm. The quiche was warm the next morning.

We did not have dinner at the hotel. My husband preferred to dine at a couple less-expensive Mexican restaurants in town,

There is also a nice little market, 2-doors down from the hotel. They had about everything you could want or need.

This hotel is also pet friendly. We boarded our dogs and did not take them to the hotel, probably a good call as we have rambunctious retrievers, one of whom might have dragged me like a wrecking-ball up and/or down the grand staircase... Probably a good call NOT to introduce a bull-in-the-china-shop beast of a dog, to this charming, enduring-but-dainty hotel.

Would we stay here again? Absolutely! We hope you will too, and hope your stay is as delightful as ours was. As places in the foothills of the Sierra go, this little place is... about as good as it gets.

Originally, I booked this hotel because it was indicated to be pet friendly.

The Friday morning we were to leave for Jamestown,

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2009

We had planned on visiting Yosemite and were looking for lodgings within driving distance. Lucky for us, one of the hotels we found online was the 1859 Historic National Hotel in Jamestown. Based on our research and other people’s reviews, we booked a room for two nights…. and we are very happy that we did.

The hotel is incredible – a trip back in time to the 1850’s and gold rush times. The rooms were all decorated in period pieces along with modern conveniences like high-speed internet. What was missing were the IN-conveniences like tv and telephone. What a relief to be truly away from it all.

The staff is friendly, helpful and truly wonderful. They make every guest feel as if the hotel were their home.

The front porch was available to guests and provided a quiet and peaceful place for my husband and I to get reaquainted. We enjoyed watching the people walk by below us. It was also the perfect place to watch the sunset.

Breakfast was a delicious buffet with hot coffee, tea, juice, yogurt, homemade granola, scones, quiches, french toast, fresh fruit, etc.

There were lots of little touches including a jar of candy in our room with plenty of hard candies to choose from.

Also in each room was a journal for the comments and suggestions of previous guests. It was so much fun to read other people’s stories and how they enjoyed their stay.

Also written in the journal was people’s experiences with Flo, the hotel’s resident ghost. We personally had our share of weird experiences in our two day stay. Paranormally exciting!

This hotel was a truly delightful discovery. Don’t hesitate to make reservations at this hidden gem in Jamestown. You won’t be disappointed – we certainly were not.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ngtybtnice
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jamestown
Jamestown Hotel
#2 of 7 in Groveland
Sonora Inn
Sonora Inn
#4 of 8 in Sonora

Been to 1859 Historic National Hotel? Share your experiences!