“wonderful historic place to stay”

1859 Historic National Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Jamestown B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
irgendwo
“wonderful historic place to stay”
Reviewed 18 July 2010

I stayed in the 1859 historic hotel in Jamestown, CA while being on a business trip. Jamestown is a unique place to stay, very historic. And the hotel matches perfectly to this atmosphere: Very nice historic bar and restaurant, rooms with antique interiour. Really liked to be here – unique experience, not like any of those faceless business hotels. Totally recommended.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Grantown-on-Spey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2010

Me and my husband stopped off overnight in Jamestown because it looked like such a lovely little place. This hotel is in the old town and has a lot of character and charm.

The rooms were clean and the bathroom had a twin shower-head which was a nice gimmick...but a gimmick none the less. The bed was a little soft..but that is just me being picky, as is the lack of a television, but heck, who needs a TV all of the time! This was the old west after all. :)

The staff were friendly and the breakfast was nice, with fruit, yoghurt, cereal and french toast which was lovely! The coffee served in hall early in the morning was spoilt by only having the choice of powdered creamer....not nice! The staff were very chatty and pleasant and overall it was a good experience.

My only quibble is that you are paying a premium for the 'charm' and 'character' factor, which was nice, but I did not think it was worth the $160 we paid for one night.

I would recommend this as a one/two nighter romantic break, but not for a long time or for Yosemite....which is quite a drive away.

Overall lovely little place...

San Francisco CA
Reviewed 27 April 2010

I booked this hotel because I found it on dogfriendly.com. Most hotels that accept dogs are Motel 6 or Best Western type places, so I jumped at this historical opportunity. The staff were *so* friendly--gave a gift basket to my dog with bowls, blanket, and biscuits! The restaurant, which was the only place we could dine [in the outdoor patio area] was top-flight, allowing our dog to lie under the table. The soaking tub is great. We had Room #7 which has the two shower heads, and water pressure was better than at home! There is so much to do in and around Jamestown and we didn't meet a single prorietor who was less than friendly in the whole town. Also, within driving distance of Yosemite. The buffet breakfast that comes with the room is definitely ample enough to avoid paying for brunch elsewhere. Highly recommended!

Stockton, CA
Reviewed 14 April 2010

A friend recommended a trip to Jamestown when I mentioned it was our anniversary weekend and that my husband's hobby is trains. It was the opening weekend for Jamestown's Rail Town. We were not disappointed.

I called this hotel based on the great reviews they had and was pleased to find out they could accommodate a last-minute reservation. We were greeted very warmly upon our arrival and were very pleased with the comfortable room we had. The bathroom sink was in the bathroom, along with a shower and really cute pull-chain toilet. Yes, it was narrow, but I was pleased that each room had their own!

We had dinner in their restaurant downstairs and found it very lovely. We enjoyed our meal very much and the service was great. They offer a wonderful breakfast to their guests and we enjoyed that, as well. They had recommended spreading lemon curd on the french toast and it was delicious!! I'm going to do that at home!

The only thing I would find fault with would be the bed - it seemed to be sunken in the middle making it difficult not to roll into one another. But I can honestly say there haven't been many places I've stayed where the bed has been to my liking, so I just chalk it up to hotel beds. It just makes me appreciate my bed at home more!! :-)

1 Thank WanaBinHawaii
Rocklin, California
Reviewed 1 April 2010

The National Hotel is a great little hotel with great managment. We were greeted warmly and treated with great hospitality. Very personal. The hotel has a great historic feel to it and has been greatly preserved. There is lots to do in the area and at the end of your day sightseeing you can look forward to great food prepare din the downstiars kitchen. Make your reservations because the food is so popular people come from around town to eat there and it fills up fast. There is a fantastic old soaking tub upstairs that is elaboratly stocked with music and bath essentials and great mood, most of all plenty of hot water, and sized for two. In the morning we got up a little late and were past the serving time, the owner of the hotel personally went into the kitchen and made sure we had what we needed and sat down with us and had a great conversation. I was really impressed by the hospitality and genuine care by Mr. Willey (hotel owner) Thansk again and we'll be back soon!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
San Rafael
Reviewed 23 March 2010

I have read the other Trip Advisor reviews on this hotel with some surprise - especially after our weekend there.

I stayed there with my 3 children. Fortunately, our rooms had private bathrooms (though tiny/narrow bathrooms, they were workable). Unfortunately, though, we were next to the communal bathroom, so we could hear everybody coming and going (literally...) The sinks don't fit in the bathrooms, so they are in the bedroom itself. There is a weird, Liliputian ledge above the sink that is so low, you can't see the faucet handles. Strangely designed. Similar design strangeness - there are hooks on both sides of the door to hang a chain across. The hook on one side is so close to the door handle that you can barely get the key in the door.

On the first morning (Saturday) of our stay, we were awakened by several people going to the bathroom before 6 am, and then by vacuuming in the main dining room below us.

The beds were fairly comfortable, though small (the largest is a Queen.) The decor in the room, while period-appropriate, is dark and heavy - the room would seem bigger if the decor were lightened up a bit. Both of our rooms faced the wall off the next door building (a few feet away), so our rooms were especially dark. If you go, be sure to ask for a room that doesn't look at the building next store!)

Good things included the soaking tub (a big bathtub) - though it's a little weird that you're supposed to tell the bartender that you're going to take a bath, and you have to clean it out yourself after (or before) your bath. There is coffee in the hallway in the morning - so you can meet all those people who kept you up the night before....

Dinner was fair, not excellent. The cherries jubilee was fun - they flame it at the tableside.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank LWE
national2, Proprietor at 1859 Historic National Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2010
I would like to start our response by saying, that our historic hotel is one of the oldest continuously operated hotels in the entire State of California, dating from 1859.

Think of John Wayne or Clint Eastwood in one of their westerns. The National Hotel has been completely restored with much of the original antiques, and the addition of modern plumbing, heating, a/c, etc. the rooms are on the small size, but authentic and immaculatly clean.

1. Some of the bathrooms are small, as they were added to this historic hotel in the areas where we were able to fit them.
2. We have no communal bathrooms, as each room has its own bath, and all rooms are reasonably insulated for sound.
3. 8 of the 9 rooms have queen size beds and the 9th has twins. We have no king size beds.
4. We have no housekeeper in the evening, so we ask anyone using the soaking room to wipe down the tub for the next person.
5. Although most of our dinner guests rave about their dining experience, we are not able to please everyone. We really do try!

I am sorry that this customer did not have a great experience. I suspect that she is more comfortable staying in the Hiltons and Embassy Suites of the World. and that, of course, is ok.
Up The Hill
Reviewed 22 March 2010

I absolutely love the National Hotel! Have been going their with friends and family for more than 10 years and and love it more every time. They show a dedication to quality, service and ambiance that is just too hard to find these days. Also it's the best bang for my buck :) Full dinner, (no ala carte menu here), and each dish sautee'd to order (no Applebee's microwave needed). Oh, and don't forget the selection of flambe desserts because no other restaurant in the county does them.

Despite knowing all this already I still try other places once in a while.....and am never as satisfied as when I'm at a patio table surrounded by the herbs (yup, don't know ANY place around that grows it's own herbs), flowers and soft candle light. The inside is just as lovely and romantic as the outside. Did I mention the service? WoW! Friendly, knowledgeable and quick on their feet :)

I imagine everyone who reads internet reveiws has to take them with a grain of salt, but when the vast majority of them sing the praises of a place like the National than it's propbably a safe bet for any tourist visiting the area, and certainly any local. I read what the guy below me wrote and have to disagree, and I don't appreciate the comment "tourist's will swallow anything", since we are ALL tourists with a full range of taste buds when we get outta town. So read on, fellow travelers, and then head down to the National's Gold Rush era bar (the bartenders are a blast!) for a glass of wine (or a shot of tequilla, haha!) and a wonderfull dinner experience that will have you writing your own reveiw soon!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jamestown
Best Western Plus Sonora Oaks Hotel & Conference Center
#3 of 3 in Jamestown
Sonora Inn
Sonora Inn
#5 of 8 in Sonora

Been to 1859 Historic National Hotel? Share your experiences!