“Great experience and realistic expectations of an old Inn”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Jenner Inn

The Jenner Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Jenner B&B and Inns
California
“Great experience and realistic expectations of an old Inn”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2008

I stayed in the Rosebud Cottage and had a great experience. The Rosebud is a one-room cottage with a private balcony, river view, sleeps 2 and shares a spa with the Rosewater (a larger, nicer cottage). The Rosebud is free-standing, north of the main lodge.

I really enjoyed staying in the Rosebud and would definitely go back. It is right on Highway 1, so there is some noise. But it wasn't to such an extreme that I could not sleep. The private balcony was very clean - no bird feces, dirt, etc., like others complained - and has a great view of the river and the pretty hillside. There are tons of birds. But, I love those sounds so I found it very relaxing. The bed is very comfortable and faces the balcony so you wake up looking at the Russian River. Nice!

There are I think two seatings for breakfast: one at 8am and one at 9am. The morning I was there they served a tomato quiche, a muffin, and some fruit. Coffee and Tea were also available. The food was perfectly fine and in portions you should be eating anyway. So, if you need a Denny's Grand Slam, then go there.

I found every staff person I encountered to be perfectly friendly. I couldn't figure out how to get the old door on the cottage to lock on my way out and the innkeeper offered to walk down the highway (at night) to help me out. Luckily, she didn't have to do that since I figured it out eventually. But, the point is that she was willing and wasn't the least bit gruff about it.

If you want upscale/luxury, then don't go to the Jenner Inn. But, if you want peace, comfort, solitude, and simplicity, DO go. And about the price: you're paying for location folks. Welcome to Highway 1 (and California for that matter) where pretty much everything is expensive!

• Liked — Views, relaxing
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank Beona

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Toronto Ontario
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2008

What a nightmare! The walls in this place conduct sound better than a microphone. The guy snoring in the next room might as well have been in my bed. We were entertained by the sound of him brushing his teeth and gargling in the morning rather than the sound of sea birds and soft breezes.

Then there was the security alarm that went off at 2AM in a room nearby. Despite our best efforts to alert hotel staff or local authorities, it was ignored and was still going off when we fled at 8:30 the next morning....after I had emptied the ants out of my shoes that had been sitting next to the dresser.

Save yourself and stay away. This has to have been the worst hotel experience of my life.

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Kaciebear

Travellers are raving about these Jenner hotels

San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2008

Wow, the varied reviews are really something else...

We have been going to the Jenner Inn for 10 years now, and we find it charming every time we go. We love it so much we spent a week of our honeymoon here, and I even named my photography business after this special place. We have always been greeted by friendly innkeepers, our room (we always stay at the Mill Cottage) is warm, romantic and inviting, and the food has always been good. This time we had quiche the first morning with a homemade muffin, and the second day was buttermilk waffles with raspberry sauce and whipped cream. Our server was lovely, and treated us very well.

Jenner/Russian River is a laid back kind of place. If you are looking for more traditional luxury, you might try wine country or Mendocino. We still think its a good value for the money - when we first started staying at the Mill Cottage it was about $150 a night. The bathroom has been nicely renovated to include a whirlpool tub, and the upstairs has been remodeled as well. The shower/hot water always worked for us.

We will continue to go back again and again. It rained the whole time we were there last weekend, but just sitting there with a roaring fire, a good glass of wine, and my husband and baby son, and some good books was just wonderful.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank millcottage
lake tahoe, nv
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2008

This is the second year in a row that my Mom and two sisters and I stayed at the Jenner Inn, in particular, in the Pelican Suite. At first sight last year, I thought "way too small", but we immediately fell in love with the now newly renovated Pelican Suite. It's small, but quite adequate for up to four good friends (one queen bed and one sofa bed). The small kitchenette and dining room are fine, but the best part is the window seat overlooking the Russian River. The view up the river and down the river to the ocean is incredible. Each morning you are served breakfast in the main Inn which is home made and wonderful tasting. The personnel who work at the Jenner Inn are very friendly and it's easy to get into comfortable conversations with other people who are having their breakfast in the charming, old fashioned dining room. If you want excitement and lots of activity, this isn't really the place. But if you want beauty, peace and comfort, I highly recommend the Pelican Inn. We checked out a couple of the other cottages, but really don't want to stay anywhere other than the Pelican Suite. You can go for walks, drive to nearby Bodega Bay or drive north on Highway 1 for gorgeous views of the ocean. We love the Jenner Inn!

• Liked — comfort and views, no cell phones, no internet
  • Disliked — no complaints
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank lovewintertravel
Oakland, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2008

I received a gift certificate from my boss, for christmas, and was eager to use it. I planned on using it for a nice get away for my boyfriend's birthday in Feb. Unfortunately, I started reading the reviews on here and didn't want to use it at all. On Monday my boyfriend suggested using it for my birthday:) and I thought, well we didn't pay for it if it was a total "dump". I decided to book the Merlin room and we LOVED it. It was all rainy and by the time we got there the sun had already set, but there wasn't a sunset to view anyway, due to the weather. The room looks out onto the Russian RIver and is very romantic. The hot tub was clean and toasty. The room was extremely clean and cozy. The only issue we had, no tv in the room. I wanted to bring some dvds up to watch while we stayed in from the rain, but no and you can only be "romantic" for so long. I woul definitely recommend the Jenner Inn B&B.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cloverall
Atlanta, GA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2008

We had booked early in November based on the the Jenner Inn website photos and asked for early check-in. When we arrived, not only was the early check-in denied but we were greeted with astounding surliness and asked immediately for our credit card.
The furnishings were old and none too clean, the cottage we had suffered from much deferred maintenance, no tv, a radio with static, no cell service and a bed with sheets that were too short for the bed. Don't bother to have the breakfast which was one freezer waffle and two small slices of fruit all tarted up with whipped creme.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — The roof and the staff
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
7 Thank chessie7
sacramento
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2008

We chose this place based on the website pictures and the ammenties that were supposed to come with our room. We were camping for a week and wanted our last night on the coast, the day of our wedding anniversary, to be spent in a warm cozy bed. Ha we were fooled. We booked the Mill house cottage because of the hot tub. Upon arrival, where they had us stuck, we were informed that there "are issues with the hot water heater" but "is easily fixed" and the room is believed to be 'haunted". We checked in and I went to shower when what do you know the hot water went out. So I had to stand in the shower freezing waiting for someone to come to the house go into the basement and reset the hot water. After the shower we went out to get in the hot tub. I pulled back the cover and was disgusted, there was a large amount of dirt and sand on the bottom of the tub and a ring of grease aroung the top of the water line. We went back in and called the front desk. The reply we got was basically that we should have called sooner beacused the maintanence guy had gone home for the evening and there was nothing that could be done. During the night we were awoken by strange noises, and the pitter patter of feet over our heads. the ghost had arrived and it turned out to be racoons or some other rodents invading the upstairs portion of our place. The next morning the hot water heater wa not working and it was 2 hours before someone came to fix the problem. After all the complaints management never offered a refund or even a discount. I would never recommend to anyone, EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everythin
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
9 Thank h2osno
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jenner
Timber Cove Resort
#5 of 5 in Bodega Bay
Bodega Harbor Inn
Bodega Harbor Inn
#2 of 5 in Bodega Bay

Been to The Jenner Inn? Share your experiences!