“Pluses and Minuses”
Review of Fort Ross Lodge

Fort Ross Lodge
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Jenner
Reviewed 24 October 2007

We enjoy so much about the Fort Ross Lodge: ocean view, herds of deer tippy-toeing on the lawns at dawn, the "unhotel-like" rooms, the quiet, and the privacy, a Weber kettle for BBQing on the patio including a free chimney and charcoal. Unfortunately, on this, our second stay in the same room (number 11), we noticed a few not-so-nice features that could be attended to if the owners choose to do so:
1. The odor in the room was a real turn-off. Even when we put the "scented" candle outside, we smelled a completely unrelated unpleasant aroma that seemed to come and go and was perhaps heater-related. One evening the reek actually woke me.
2. The mattress really needed replacing. Zero support.
3. No screens on the sliding glass doors. In order to get some fresh air, the doors need to be left open, and with all the critters, especially those cute but aggressive raccoons, a screen is a real necessity.
4. Uncomfortable chairs!
That said, we will probably try the lodge once more, but book a different room.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LvsNrthCA

Reviewed 15 October 2007

If you're near Jenner on the coast, you're not near much, so this hotel may be close to the only choice. Our group had 4 rooms for 1 night and on average they were okay. I loved the woodburning fireplace! Some window door sliders had no working lock which bothered a couple of the solo women, and the hot tub heater was broken when we were there, but on the whole it's an interesting, coastal kind of redwoodsy place. A short walk brings you to breathtaking views of the ocean.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank CJAW2012
Reviewed 11 October 2007

We've stayed at the Fort Ross Lodge several times over the years. The views are nice and the rooms are ok considering their age and that they are technically beach houses that are exposed to a lot of weather and elements; definately 70's chic.

The owners are moody, they can be nice and they can be rude or nosy, and they definately don't mind their own business, even to the point of commenting on how we attend to our children.

Up to this point I'd considered going back, but the last time we went the septic tank was over flowing down below the pool, in the open grass field. We had no idea why the ground was so wet, but seeing as how there are seeps in the area we figured it normal. We were flying our kite there and the kids were in and out of the wet grass and ice plant for an hour or so. It wasn't until we headed in that we realized that it was untreated sewage from the septic tank that was making the ground so wet. I told the owners, he tried to convince me it was something else until he inspected it and found that the septic pump was broken and not pumping up to the leach field.

Upon returning home our youngest became very ill and lost a lot of weight for a toddler. He had contracted 3 different parasites (including salmonella) from being in the sewage and it took him 2 weeks to recover. Shortly after the rest of the family became ill with similar symptoms and were all treated for the same 3 parasites. So here we are 6 months later and we all still have the same symptoms and have all been tested again and all still have the parasites.

I've called the management, and told them and got the response I expected: indifference, and no apology.

So, unless you like stomach cramps, diarrhea, and irritable bowels watch where you step and don't take your kids to the Fort Ross Lodge. It's a shame because it could be such a nice place if it weren't for the owners. Watch for "under new management" signs when your in the area, only then will we go back.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank Bear_and_Frog
Reviewed 15 July 2007

We stayed here one night during our Highway 1 motorbike trip. Though probably not the "target audience", we were warmly welcomed.
The room was very nice and so was the bathroom. The apples and the small bottle of wine we found in the room upon our arrival were a nice touch.
The room had a veranda outside, which looked very inviting.
I would love to come back here and stay a bit longer to make full use of the facilities.
The only problem with Fort Ross is that, if you arrive after 9 p.m., there are no dining options around at all.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
4  Thank GulfWanderer
Reviewed 3 July 2007

Ft Ross Lodge is our favorite getaway. We have been going there for several years. There is no cell phone reception or telephones and you really do get away from it all. We have our favorite room which looks out upon a meadow and has a direct view of the ocean, has a private hot tub on the patio and a really comfortable king size bed. The room has a TV with VCR and DVD player, small refrigerator, microwave, extra bar-sized sink, complimentary bottle of sparkling wine, fruit, cutting board, table for two and a candle. Fireplace in room with lots of firewood restocked each day. When you go to anyplace on the coast you cannot expect to be in the lap of luxury because the coast is rustic. So is Ft. Ross Lodge! I could live without the racoons that visit each night but I hear the problem is that they get fed by the guests. If you leave your patio door open, I think they might walk right into your room. Wish there were screens on those doors! Other than that, we go for 2-3 nights at a time, couple times a year and always feel refreshed upon coming home. You can't believe how many stars are in the sky until you are away from the city lights.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sacramento87
Reviewed 25 June 2007

Just spent the night at Fort Ross Lodge on 6-18-07. We have not been up here in a couple of years due to the previous condition of the rooms. At last, it seems that considerable improvements have been made. The matress and bedding was new and extremely comfortable. All the units have received new front doors and several are receiving partial repairs to the walls facing the ocean. Our stay was very pleasant from the start. The gentlemen at the front desk was very nice and there were only three rooms occupied this evening. Same peaceful, quiet grounds and awsome ocean scenery. Plenty of seasoned firewood and the spa in our room #17 worked perfectly. For those of us that really loved this place until it got so run down, it seems that it is rapidly improving and worth going back again! I would definately recommend this place for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CAMike
Reviewed 28 April 2007

The female manager was extremenly rude. I was with my mother and young children, trying to find a place because it was a very rainy and windy night and we were camping. During the course of filling out my paperwork to stay at this hotel, she called me a "Brat" more than four times. She said "I was acting like a brat, just like everyone else my age." (I am 36.) I finally told her I didn't need to stay at a place like this, and to debit my charge card.

Her behavior was totally unprovoked and I can't believe how managers can be in this business and treat innocent people, let alone customers, in this discourteous and desrespectful manner.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
6  Thank CaliforniaFrog
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jenner
Timber Cove Resort
#3 of 5 in Bodega Bay
22 mi away
Best Western Dry Creek Inn
Honor Mansion, A Wine Country Resort

Been to Fort Ross Lodge? Share your experiences!