“Wonderful tour”
Review of Smith Ranch - CLOSED

Smith Ranch
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My children, ages 10 and 10, and my husband and I really enjoyed this tour. I had to call to make the reservation, and bring exact cash to pay. It was a very informative tour with things for the kids to do. It was outstanding and am glad we were able to go on their tour.

2  Thank BigGameProShop

Reviewed 22 July 2014

The Smith family have worked very hard preserving some of Julian's gold mining history and did an excellent job. My familly and I got a private tour and learned alot not just about Julian but also about the grounds and the family history.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

We took the train & gold mine tour in June 2014. The tour was run by several members of the family that has been excavating and restoring the gold mine. It is clearly a labor of love for them, and they are still exploring and making new discoveries. Their passion carries throughout the tour. Instead of a bored tour guide droning on, we listened to guides who had worked hard to create what we were experiencing, and were clearly excited about new developments and discoveries at the mine. They have built a number of kids activities on site that relate to aspects of mining, and the gold mine itself is just part of the experience. My 7 and 11 year old boys loved it, and so did my wife and I. Do call in advance to be sure the tours are running on the day/time you are going (as suggested on their website).

3  Thank TJPickle
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This is more than just a train ride, it is a history of Julian and the gold mining era of San Diego. The Smith's make it educational and fun and interactive! Very good for children especially if studying California history.

2  Thank map48
Reviewed 12 April 2014

The Train and Track was very impressive. What a massive undertaking to build. Overall the train ride was about a mile long both ways. The mine cars were pulled by an actual gold mining train and the mine cars had been retrofit to seat passengers.

The gold mine was an actual hand dug mine from the 1870's so it didn't go back any more than 80' but it was more than enough to get the feel of being under 30' of dirt. Quite impressive. The staff was very nice and very entertaining. Highly recommend the tour for people of all ages.

4  Thank Homer S