“Nice” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 39 things to do in Julian
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Situated at an elevation of 4,600 feet, this small 110-acre lake is surrounded by Cuyamaca Rancho State Park that is mostly wilderness.
San Diego, California
“Nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

Got there at 6am when the bait shop opened. The lady answered all my questions but nothing more (not real friendly). They rented me a boat for $25 for the day (winter discount). It was ready and warmed up by the time I got to the dock. The dock dude was very nice--told me about waterfowl hunting (apparently they rent blinds). The geese are friendly too! One of them scared the crap out of me when I saw him out of the corner of my eye within a foot of the boat. I tried to get him to jump in so I could sit on him and have a nice goose dinner but he wasn't going for it (just kidding enforcement officers).

I caught one trout--a 10 inch rainbow--at 9:45. I had a couple bullheads (or catfish--I don't know the difference) next to the boat at around Noon but both got off before I could net them. The trout went in my belly when I got home. Tasty!!!

I saw a lot of folks fishing from shore--probably 20 or more. Not sure if they were having any luck. Frankly, I didn't get to sleep early enough the night before so I took a few cat naps in the boat :)

The scenery is beautiful and the weather was very nice. Quite crisp in the morning as expected in this location in March. I had to wear all my layers except the "big gun" jacket. Once the sun came out I started stripping layers and stayed comfortable all day. The wind picked up about 11:00am and I only stayed until 4pm. I would have stayed longer but, as long as you are this close to Julian, you HAVE to head up there for an apple pie to go!!!

All in all a pleasant day. I would have given 5 stars if I had caught a limit of trout but it is not their fault.

Visited March 2014

San Clemente, California, United States
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Serene surroundings”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

Well worth the drive from just about anywhere in SoCal---moving through the rolling hills of quietly beautiful cattle country will make the outing worthwhile all by itself---Lake Cuyamaca offers hiking, biking, jogging and fishing in serene surroundings, PLus don't miss the picturesque little town of Julian. LIke most attractions, best experienced on a day other than Sunday, when tibgs aren't so crowded.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank David L
Julian, California
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“A small but very ice lake for fishing and hiking around .”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

A good area to see deer,wild turkeys and ducks have a picnic or camping experience. Some boats to rent. At 5'ooo feet elevation it can be cold and windy. Small restaurant open most days but only 8 miles from the town of Julian

Visited October 2013
2 Thank JIM K
San Diego, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Chambers Park Campground at Lake Cuyamaca”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

Chambers Park at Lake Cuyamaca is PERFECT! The RV sites have a beautiful view of the lake and the tent campsites are right on the water. There are also Cabins and Condos here if you prefer. Sites are clean and there are water & electric hookups. No sewer but there are places to dump nearby. Everyone here was so nice and friendly.

Fall is absolutely the best time to come here. The leaves are all changing and the weather is nice and it is less crowded than summertime. I think we have found our favorite go to campground!

Visited October 2013
7 Thank unitedmom7
Peoria, Arizona
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Boatin'and a hikin'”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

Our ten day trip began in Orange Calif. and ended here. I took my 11 yr. old grandson to see the last couple days of the Yonex OCBC U.S. Open Badminton Championships in Orange/Anaheim CA. Amazing stuff,played indoors by top players from all over the world. Awesome!

We then headed down Ca.Hwy 5 to San Clemente where my brother lives, to hook up with the rest of our family and headed out to our Campground at KQ Ranch near Julian. Had our RV and a cabin for all eleven people (6 Kids & 5 adults) and a dog. San Diego being only 45 minutes away accounted for two whole days of the remaining week. We beached it one day and did Birch Aquarium at Scripps in La Jolla. What a fantastic time for kids and all.

On the third day we went down to this quaint little lake about 10 mts. from our favourite campground that has all the fun stuff for all ages and crammed with happy campers like us. I know because we meet all these people and talk about it endlessly. It's camping done right.

At the lake we rented 2 motor boats for eight people. At 1 o'clock the rates are half price for the rest of the day and that's till 7:30 pm. We crisscrossed the lake and found several places to
dock in,some rocky and others beach sand/rock. Got off the boats and took hiking trails that lead to all sorts of woodsy views of the lake and surrounding areas. At one point we saw herds of deer and wild turkey in abundance. Unlike the regular turkey we never once heard them make a noise....no gobble,gobble or any such noise, just busy eating. Lots of other birds and wildlife to see and picture in natural habitat. Variety of ducks and geese some of them pretty large. Must have good fish to keep them happy and healthy.

Nearby restaurant serves catch of the day fish, trout and others that are kept pretty stocked year round. The weather was just enjoyable, mid 70's to low 80's. All in all another exquisite trip and vacation to this California mountain location. It is at about 4,600 ft. above sea level in the woods off Ca. Hwy 79 north of Interstate 8, 6 miles before Julian,Ca. a quaint little town famous for apples and pie. It once was a gold mining town and still offers visits to ghost mines with a guide to tell you all about it. Lots to do and so little time.

Visited July 2013