“OK for a night”
Review of June Lake Villager

June Lake Villager
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in June Lake
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Stopped for one night in June Lake without a reservation. Got a room here with a kitchenette. Room with odd layout, bath and kitchen facilities occupy center of room with bedroom and living room areas on either end. Bed comfortable. Desk person very nice

• Stayed: May 2014
junelakevillager, Manager at June Lake Villager, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our new pillow top mattresses. There are a lot of different unique rooms with different layouts here at the Villager. The room layout that you stayed in is a bit odd as is 1 or 2 others. We try to make these rooms especially comfortable for our guests. Some of our return guests actually love it and request this room often. Thank you for choosing us and we hope you can come back a try another room with a different layout. :)

Reviewed 18 May 2014

While planning a trip through Yosemite from the valley, on over to Tioga, I pre-purchased a room at the Villager based on Trip Advisor reviews. Came over the pass early evening, and by the time I got to June Lake it was dark. The room was great, tidy and comfortable, well-apportioned, and very cheap for the area. The VIllager appears to have different types of rooms: stand-alone or duplex style buildings, and a large, two story building with rooms above and below. I was on the first floor of the large building. Luckily, no one was in the room above me, because it's an old building, and the floors creak and moan. The walls are also thin: some neighbors had an amorous interlude and I could hear every sound without placing my ear to the wall :-).

The Tiger Bar is next door: it's a great place to have a beer or cocktail and a bite. I think it might be the only joint in town open late, but I was there early in the season: more options might be available in the Summer.

I encountered Max, the hotel's ancient cat, and a very nice lady the next morning at the front desk while checking-out. She recommended breakfast at a diner on Silver Lake and she was spot-on: it was fantastic.

Whle driving to Silver Lake I was stunned by the beauty of the area. I ate breakfast at the diner, then I drove past Silver Lake nearly back to 395, then made a "U" and drove the loop the other way. Spectacular!

I will be back to June Lake, and I will stay at the Villager whenever I am.

Final note: There is a great little pottery shop in June Lake, behind the fishing shop on the main drag. The artist and his wife are very nice, and he is very talented, and is prices are reasonable. I bought a piece as a memento of my first June Lake visit.

Room Tip: I would avoid rooms on the first floor of the large building: if someone is in the room upstairs th...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Zumajay
junelakevillager, Manager at June Lake Villager, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Thank you for taking time to write us a nice review. We are so happy that you fell in love with June Lake. It is very easy to do. We are also glad that you enjoyed your room and your stay with us here at the Villager. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 25 March 2014

We were only able to stay for one night, but we found the hotel to be great. The rooms were extremely clean (the bed sheets and comforter seemed brand new) and well maintained. The hotel is just across the street from a bar/restaurant with good food at decent prices. Everyone in June Lake seemed very friendly and helpful.

4  Thank Tr4vler256
junelakevillager, Manager at June Lake Villager, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us in June Lake. Thank you for noticing our new beds and bedding and thank you for the kind review. We hope you are able to come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed 24 March 2014

We made this reservation after seeing a picture of the rooms online. We even upgraded to a superior queen bed. Well, there was no view of anything, except for the back alley and the sides of other buildings. The room had a very strong odor which was burning to our throats. The bed linen appeared clean, but did not feel clean when we laid in it. When the toilet was flushed an overwhelmingly strong foul odor of sewer seemed to come through the floor and fill the room. It was nauseating! Also the tv was mounted over the sofa and not within view of the bed. The sofa had a strong urine smell, thus we never sat on it!
The experience was terrible and we felt deceived from the photo of the room online.

Room Tip: This room was 112, on the bottom floor, tucked almost in an alley way. Horrible conditions.
3  Thank Julie P

It is a huge disappointment to see this poor review. We have recently worked very hard to make all of our rooms more comfortable and enjoyable for our guests. We have all brand new pillow top mattresses, brand new bedding, new flat screen tv's, new black out drapes, and also new decor.
These guests arrived very late at night and left before the office opened in the morning. We have a phone # posted on the office door should any of our guests need anything at any time of night or day...They did not alert us of anything dis satisfactory otherwise we would have gladly moved them to a different room of their liking. We did receive an email the following day from these guests complaining that we had falsely advertised the room and that they wanted a refund.
The room is not falsely advertised as we have more than one superior queen room and each one has a slightly different layout. This unit is ground level and does have a mountain view from the bed room and the living area. We actually have many people who love this particular room and we receive requests to stay in it often. We have never had a complaint of foul smelling anything in it before so this was also a surprise. I, myself, went down to inspect this room after these guests left and found no such odor even after flushing the toilet.
It is unfortunate that these guests did not like our accommodations. We are no Ritz hotel but we do strive to provide our guests with a comfortable, clean, and enjoyable stay.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

I can't recommend the June Lake Villager enough. It has comfortable and nice rooms that make my wife happy and is a great deal which makes me happy. It is across the street from the Tiger Bar and just down the road from June Mountain which makes both of us happy. The rooms have new beds and TVs but still have a nice rustic feel. It is clean and has character and does not feel like a "motel." You will enjoy your stay here and will want to come back.

Room Tip: The motel rooms were perfect for my wife and I
2  Thank dan z

Thank you for your nice review. We are glad you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

I was at the Villager for a lengthy stay in February. You couldn't ask for better, friendlier, more helpful staff. The Villager is a June Lake classic. I stayed in room 116, which had 2 large windows in every room, with nice views of the mountain from the kitchen. The kitchen had all I needed to cook with (some new and some old but serviceable items), a brand new refrigerator, and little gas stove. The bed was brand new and I slept like a log. New curtains were installed also, and there is a great wood-burning stove. The Villager has always been pet friendly too. If you are looking for a friendly, non-fussy place to stay that is right (RIGHT) by the Tiger Bar and the town's tiny Main Street, including the General Store and Ken Willingham's great little pottery shop, you couldn't do better than to stay at the Villager.

Room Tip: Ask to see if they have a view room available! Some rooms are suites and some are mini-suites with k...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank CaseyC32

Thank you so much for your great review! It was so nice to have you stay with us for such a long period of time. You were able to experience a lot of our up improvements first hand and it was great to have your feedback and see you enjoying yourself in our lovely town. We hope you will come back for a visit again soon. We would love to see some more of your artwork and pottery skills as well!

Reviewed 23 February 2014

I've stayed two weekends at The Villager in June Lake and it is the best deal in the Mammoth ski area. about 1.5 miles from June Mountain Ski Area, 20 minute drive to Mammoth Mountain by way of the Mammoth Scenic Loop, and right across the street from the World Famous Tiger Bar.
The new owners an managers are making improvements weekly. New flat screen TV's, Free Wifi, new furniture and the beds are all brand new.
If you are a skier or snowboarder, you can get your stick (Snowboard) waxed at Ernies Bait & Tackle while you have breakfast at the Tiger Bar. .
The Sierra Club is also down the street and there was a live band with great dancing music and lots of two steps and waltz's.
I am looking forward to staying at he Villager again soon.
Best bargin for the price in Mammoth Ski Area.

Cowboy Tom

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank T A S

Thank you, Tom , for writing such a nice review for us. It is always a pleasure to see your friendly face in June Lake. We are happy to hear that you have enjoyed all of the upgrades we have been making so far. We only plan to continue making improvements to our rooms and our property. Can't wait for your next stay with us so you can see for yourself...

Also consider these accommodations in or near June Lake
Lake View Lodge
Lake View Lodge
#2 of 4 in Lee Vining
Double Eagle Resort and Spa

Been to June Lake Villager? Share your experiences!