“2 Star place at 4 Star Prices”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of June Lake Villager

June Lake Villager
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in June Lake
Lake Ozark, Missouri
“2 Star place at 4 Star Prices”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

If you like to back to the 50s, then you'll like this place. Also, if you don't mind paying a premium for not so premium digs, then this is the place for you.
I will say that our room was very clean, but very outdated. When's the last time you had a kitchenette with metal cabinets and a porcelain sink that said "welcome to 1955".
I had requested a quiet unit, but ours was at the intersection of two streets. It was pretty quiet after about 11:00 p.m., but there is lots of early vehicular traffic going by.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
junelakevillager, Manager at June Lake Villager, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
I am sorry to hear that you did not like your suite. Many people love the vintage style cabinets and the porcelain bathroom fixtures, but we do understand that you can not please everybody. Therefore, we do our best to make sure every room is very clean and comfortable which we feel is most important. We do try to accommodate all of our guest's requests whether it be a view, quiet location, pet friendly room, or anything else. During our busy season, this can sometimes be a challenge and I am sorry that your room was not as quiet as you would have liked. As for prices, we are actually one of the most economically priced lodging facilities in the June Lake Loop. Prices tend to be on the higher side here because it is a year round destination resort town...

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Orcas Island, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

In fairness, I did not even know where June Lake, CA was when I planned our trip on the east side of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. I wanted an overnight place near the east end of the Tioga Pass road, and Mammoth seemed too far away and too pricey; and Lee Vining had nothing that appealed to me. I learned where June Lake was, and found what I thought would be a good property for our stay.

First, the reservation was processed swiftly, the room was clean and adequate, there was plenty of hot water, and we did have as much of a view as possible (I had requested a room with some sort of view of the lake and/or mountains.) However, there were many aspects of the Villager that caused me to say it is overpriced at $122/night. When we drove to the parking lot, I had all sorts of second thoughts. The outside of the building looked dark and due maintenance. The stairway to the second floor was dark, narrow (it seemed), and the treads and carpet were really worn. The indoor/outdoor carpet on the second floor deck need to be replaced--badly worn. The room was minimal in decorations, but the flat screen TV did have cable, and the bed was reasonably comfortable. We had thought about doing laundry here, but the laundry area was under construction, and it looked like the pace was slow to get it fixed.

When I walked around June Lake, I saw several other places to stay (some were small, and some may have been B&Bs), so if I were to come back to June Lake, I would look elsewhere, or expect to pay less at the Villager than we did this time. I realize it is a resort area, but to the best of my knowledge, there was no special event going on.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
junelakevillager, Manager at June Lake Villager, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
We are happy that you chose June Lake and the Villager for your night's stay on the east side. With new owners as of Oct, 2013, we have been busy making many improvements and upgrades to our property. It is great to know that you enjoyed our brand new pillow top mattresses and our new flat screen TV's. The bedding, linens, and drapes are also brand new. We know that there are many things that still need attention. With our busy season here now, we do have to pick and choose one project at a time and work minimal hours as not to disturb our guests. We are happy to tell you that our new laundry/ vending/ ice room is almost complete and ready to open within a week or so. We have also been busy painting and staining the exterior of our property. Next on the list is to take care of the outdoor carpet that you spoke of as well as some needed tile work. We realize that there are still a few eye sores but feet that it is most important to make sure our guests are comfortable and happy inside their rooms. We hope that you can return to see all of the great changes and improvements that we will continue to make.
University Place, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Stopped for one night in June Lake without a reservation. Got a room here with a kitchenette. Room with odd layout, bath and kitchen facilities occupy center of room with bedroom and living room areas on either end. Bed comfortable. Desk person very nice

• Stayed May 2014
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our new pillow top mattresses. There are a lot of different unique rooms with different layouts here at the Villager. The room layout that you stayed in is a bit odd as is 1 or 2 others. We try to make these rooms especially comfortable for our guests. Some of our return guests actually love it and request this room often. Thank you for choosing us and we hope you can come back a try another room with a different layout. :)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

While planning a trip through Yosemite from the valley, on over to Tioga, I pre-purchased a room at the Villager based on Trip Advisor reviews. Came over the pass early evening, and by the time I got to June Lake it was dark. The room was great, tidy and comfortable, well-apportioned, and very cheap for the area. The VIllager appears to have different types of rooms: stand-alone or duplex style buildings, and a large, two story building with rooms above and below. I was on the first floor of the large building. Luckily, no one was in the room above me, because it's an old building, and the floors creak and moan. The walls are also thin: some neighbors had an amorous interlude and I could hear every sound without placing my ear to the wall :-).

The Tiger Bar is next door: it's a great place to have a beer or cocktail and a bite. I think it might be the only joint in town open late, but I was there early in the season: more options might be available in the Summer.

I encountered Max, the hotel's ancient cat, and a very nice lady the next morning at the front desk while checking-out. She recommended breakfast at a diner on Silver Lake and she was spot-on: it was fantastic.

Whle driving to Silver Lake I was stunned by the beauty of the area. I ate breakfast at the diner, then I drove past Silver Lake nearly back to 395, then made a "U" and drove the loop the other way. Spectacular!

I will be back to June Lake, and I will stay at the Villager whenever I am.

Final note: There is a great little pottery shop in June Lake, behind the fishing shop on the main drag. The artist and his wife are very nice, and he is very talented, and is prices are reasonable. I bought a piece as a memento of my first June Lake visit.

Room Tip: I would avoid rooms on the first floor of the large building: if someone is in the room upstairs th...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Zumajay
junelakevillager, Manager at June Lake Villager, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thank you for taking time to write us a nice review. We are so happy that you fell in love with June Lake. It is very easy to do. We are also glad that you enjoyed your room and your stay with us here at the Villager. Hope to see you again soon!
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

We were only able to stay for one night, but we found the hotel to be great. The rooms were extremely clean (the bed sheets and comforter seemed brand new) and well maintained. The hotel is just across the street from a bar/restaurant with good food at decent prices. Everyone in June Lake seemed very friendly and helpful.

4 Thank Tr4vler256
junelakevillager, Manager at June Lake Villager, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us in June Lake. Thank you for noticing our new beds and bedding and thank you for the kind review. We hope you are able to come back and see us again soon!
Gardnerville, Nevada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

We made this reservation after seeing a picture of the rooms online. We even upgraded to a superior queen bed. Well, there was no view of anything, except for the back alley and the sides of other buildings. The room had a very strong odor which was burning to our throats. The bed linen appeared clean, but did not feel clean when we laid in it. When the toilet was flushed an overwhelmingly strong foul odor of sewer seemed to come through the floor and fill the room. It was nauseating! Also the tv was mounted over the sofa and not within view of the bed. The sofa had a strong urine smell, thus we never sat on it!
The experience was terrible and we felt deceived from the photo of the room online.

Room Tip: This room was 112, on the bottom floor, tucked almost in an alley way. Horrible conditions.
3 Thank Julie P
It is a huge disappointment to see this poor review. We have recently worked very hard to make all of our rooms more comfortable and enjoyable for our guests. We have all brand new pillow top mattresses, brand new bedding, new flat screen tv's, new black out drapes, and also new decor.
These guests arrived very late at night and left before the office opened in the morning. We have a phone # posted on the office door should any of our guests need anything at any time of night or day...They did not alert us of anything dis satisfactory otherwise we would have gladly moved them to a different room of their liking. We did receive an email the following day from these guests complaining that we had falsely advertised the room and that they wanted a refund.
The room is not falsely advertised as we have more than one superior queen room and each one has a slightly different layout. This unit is ground level and does have a mountain view from the bed room and the living area. We actually have many people who love this particular room and we receive requests to stay in it often. We have never had a complaint of foul smelling anything in it before so this was also a surprise. I, myself, went down to inspect this room after these guests left and found no such odor even after flushing the toilet.
It is unfortunate that these guests did not like our accommodations. We are no Ritz hotel but we do strive to provide our guests with a comfortable, clean, and enjoyable stay.
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

I can't recommend the June Lake Villager enough. It has comfortable and nice rooms that make my wife happy and is a great deal which makes me happy. It is across the street from the Tiger Bar and just down the road from June Mountain which makes both of us happy. The rooms have new beds and TVs but still have a nice rustic feel. It is clean and has character and does not feel like a "motel." You will enjoy your stay here and will want to come back.

Room Tip: The motel rooms were perfect for my wife and I
2 Thank dan z
Thank you for your nice review. We are glad you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to seeing you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near June Lake
June Lake Pines
June Lake Pines
#6 of 7 in June Lake
Double Eagle Resort and Spa

Been to June Lake Villager? Share your experiences!