“Loved our stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Melbourne
“Loved our stay”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

This review is very, very overdue. My husband and I stayed five nights in June 2013 as a base for hiking in the Yosemite high country. It's a reasonable drive from YNP but we enjoy driving (even on the other side of the road) so I didn't think that was a problem, others may find it a bit far.
We had a wonderful stay, the kitchen was brilliant. When they say "fully-equipped" they mean it. Pots and pans and crockery and an oven as well as a microwave and a full-size fridge. Combined with the barbeques on the deck, it's a great place for self-catering. We could stock enough provisions to make our lunches for our day hikes and also fill and chill our water-bladders (much more difficult to chill 3 L bladders with only a bar fridge).
The accommodations were very spacious, I loved having the separate bedroom and living room and we weren't tripping over our bags and packs all the time. The beds were really comfortable, the shower water pressure was good and the hot water was plentiful.
It's a short walk to the June Lake village for groceries and meals (I recommend the Sierra Inn and Cathy's Candies).
I would love to come back for a winter visit, I've seen the pictures of snow-covered Gull Lake and would love to see it with my own eyes.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AussieGirl86

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Orange, California
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Another reviewer said it best, "much more like an apartment than a motel."
Our rooms were clean and spacious. The mattress's in our double were a bit worn out.
The management was helpful and kind.
The kitchen was well equipped and allowed us to avoid eating out at every meal.
Definitely NOT the Double Eagle, but it's not as pricey either.

I recommend the lodge for it's location and price.

My family will be back.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank BobDinOc
Mentone, California
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Jan myself and our dogs have just spent our 39th year staying at the lodge. The rooms are clean and keep up, The staff is always help full and willing to give tips on day trips or how the fishing is doing.
If you like fishing or just enjoying the great outdoors, you will not do better when in June.
Jan and Rich Orbaker

Room Tip: You will enjoy any of the rooms
2 Thank Richard O
Mammoth Lakes, California
Reviewed 30 November 2013

A vintage motel that has been upgraded with modern conveniences--great value. Very roomy--much more like an apartment than a motel. Located right in the center of June Lake Village, an easy and pleasant walk to the shops and restaurants in town. Just a 5 minute drive to the June Mountain ski area. Lots of beautiful scenery in every direction. A great base location for those seeking to enjoy the natural beauty of Mono County and the Eastern Sierra without the crowds and hustle of Mammoth Lakes.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank John D
Turlock
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Location makes for a great starting point if you're headed off to fish or play in/around Gull Lake or June Lake. The room was very clean and check-in/out was quick with the keys hanging on a bulletin board and was a completely humanless transaction. Which is certainly not a problem for me.

My room was #1. The view, unfortunately, was only of an equipment room or something. I thought I'd read there was a nice view of Gull Lake, but certainly not from room 1. Nonetheless, I'd stay there again. :-)

Room Tip: Stay upstairs and as far south as possible.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Paul R
SANTA ROSA
Reviewed 26 October 2013

My husband and I and our Golden Retriever visited from Oct. 8- Oct. 11. We had the equivalent to a medium apartment for $101. There was a good size living room, a small kitchen with a dining area, a newly remodeled bathroom with shower and tub, and a good sized bedroom with a king-sized bed. What I really appreciated were the windows. There were windows in the bedroom on one side and windows in the living room and dining area on the other side. They all looked out at the beautiful fall trees and at the softly falling snow--on our first morning. We were on the second floor so left the shades up the whole time. I called ahead to see how much extra our dog would cost, and was told, "Nothing. We consider dogs part of the family." After years of traveling and paying anywhere between $5-$20 a night for our dog, this was a first for me. June Lake is a nice small town, so it doesn't give the feel of being in a commercial area.
After checking prices of accommodations several evening, I'm really glad my husband and I chose this one. It did fill up a couple of the nights, so is good to book ahead.

Room Tip: No swimming pool and not many restaurants nearby-- just a couple that were open this time of year.
3 Thank Sandra M
San Anselmo, California
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We were going to the Eastern Sierras to look at the fall colors, and chose this lodge based on the price and reviews here. This is nothing fancy but was far better than what I thought based on the price. Lots of room, pretty well equipped kitchen, friendly and helpful staff, VERY clean, comfortable bed. I would definitely stay here again if we are in the area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near June Lake
#1 of 31 in Mammoth Lakes
June Lake Villager
June Lake Villager
#4 of 7 in June Lake

Been to Gull Lake Lodge? Share your experiences!