“OK place with nice people” 3 of 5 bubbles

Gull Lake Lodge
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in June Lake
GreenLeadersSilver level
california
“OK place with nice people”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

We tried two rooms. Both had gas leaks. We stayed in the one with the least smell and turned off the gas to the stove. The wall heater only worked after the management came and lit the pilot. Very old place with very very nice staff. Pleasant views of Gull Lake and surrounding mountains. Walking distance to downtown June Lake's restaurants.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

I took my 2 year old son for a late season ski trip to June Mtn. What a week! We arrived at Gull Lake Lodge with very modest expectations based on price and our lack of experience with the area. I could not have been happier when we walked into the room and it was spacious, featured a full kitchen and sitting area and good size bathroom and bedroom. Linens were suitable and clean. The next day when I got to chat with management (we arrived late and picked up key in envelope) my sense of comfort and faith that I had made a good choice for our visit was affirmed. Great restaurant recommendations both in June and Mammoth. Good folks.

Added bonus, it is a short walk to a playground for little ones, short drive to June Mtn ski area, short walk to the gorgeous Gull Lake with picnic areas and short walk to the Tiger Bar, a fun, easy spot for burgers, beer and... crayons if you have a little one.

I am already planning our next visit and we will hope Gull Lake Lodge has room for us again. One thing I will remember is I think they have a Smoke-Free room -- we had no issue with smoke odor or any other odor but it is something to remember especially during a busy summer, I would think.

Overall assessment is that they are very conscientious and interested in problem solving and meeting your needs as a guest. So any issues that might come up would be immediately and readily addressed.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SWrede
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

This review is very, very overdue. My husband and I stayed five nights in June 2013 as a base for hiking in the Yosemite high country. It's a reasonable drive from YNP but we enjoy driving (even on the other side of the road) so I didn't think that was a problem, others may find it a bit far.
We had a wonderful stay, the kitchen was brilliant. When they say "fully-equipped" they mean it. Pots and pans and crockery and an oven as well as a microwave and a full-size fridge. Combined with the barbeques on the deck, it's a great place for self-catering. We could stock enough provisions to make our lunches for our day hikes and also fill and chill our water-bladders (much more difficult to chill 3 L bladders with only a bar fridge).
The accommodations were very spacious, I loved having the separate bedroom and living room and we weren't tripping over our bags and packs all the time. The beds were really comfortable, the shower water pressure was good and the hot water was plentiful.
It's a short walk to the June Lake village for groceries and meals (I recommend the Sierra Inn and Cathy's Candies).
I would love to come back for a winter visit, I've seen the pictures of snow-covered Gull Lake and would love to see it with my own eyes.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AussieGirl86
Orange, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

Another reviewer said it best, "much more like an apartment than a motel."
Our rooms were clean and spacious. The mattress's in our double were a bit worn out.
The management was helpful and kind.
The kitchen was well equipped and allowed us to avoid eating out at every meal.
Definitely NOT the Double Eagle, but it's not as pricey either.

I recommend the lodge for it's location and price.

My family will be back.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank BobDinOc
Mentone, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

Jan myself and our dogs have just spent our 39th year staying at the lodge. The rooms are clean and keep up, The staff is always help full and willing to give tips on day trips or how the fishing is doing.
If you like fishing or just enjoying the great outdoors, you will not do better when in June.
Jan and Rich Orbaker

Room Tip: You will enjoy any of the rooms
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Richard O
Mammoth Lakes, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

A vintage motel that has been upgraded with modern conveniences--great value. Very roomy--much more like an apartment than a motel. Located right in the center of June Lake Village, an easy and pleasant walk to the shops and restaurants in town. Just a 5 minute drive to the June Mountain ski area. Lots of beautiful scenery in every direction. A great base location for those seeking to enjoy the natural beauty of Mono County and the Eastern Sierra without the crowds and hustle of Mammoth Lakes.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank John D
Turlock
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

Location makes for a great starting point if you're headed off to fish or play in/around Gull Lake or June Lake. The room was very clean and check-in/out was quick with the keys hanging on a bulletin board and was a completely humanless transaction. Which is certainly not a problem for me.

My room was #1. The view, unfortunately, was only of an equipment room or something. I thought I'd read there was a nice view of Gull Lake, but certainly not from room 1. Nonetheless, I'd stay there again. :-)

Room Tip: Stay upstairs and as far south as possible.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Double Eagle Resort and Spa
June Lake Villager
June Lake Villager
#3 of 7 in June Lake

Been to Gull Lake Lodge? Share your experiences!