“Great Vacation”

GreenLeadersSilver level
California
“Great Vacation”
Reviewed 12 May 2007

This was the second time we've stayed here. The staff is always pleasant - even when my children went up to the front desk 4, 5, 6 or more times a day to request different items. (They keep a stock of games, crayons, VCRs, etc. that families can check out.)

The scenery is lovely. Our room had a small deck that we sat out on to watch the world go by. There's also a large deck with BBQs to cook any fish you catch. My husband tried out the hot tub and sauna and found them to be in good working condition. There's a HUGE fireplace in the center of the lodge. The big screen TV next to it is open for anyone to pop in a family-friendly movie.

The Manager was very knowledgeable on the local attractions (fishing holes, tourist attractions, etc.) and also had literature that we could rummage through.

The entire place is very clean. The bedrooms in the units are a little on the small side but we don't spend much time in the rooms anyways. Really, the only complaint we have is the beds which are terribly HARD. Not very comfortable to us. The huge tub was wonderful to soak in. The only complaint my teenagers had was the TVs - not big enough and not enough selections. As parents this is a plus to us. Just forces them to find something to do outside.

There's a couple of restaurants within walking distance. However, at this altitude it's quite a walk! The candy shop is always a plus with our kids. The little local grocery store is over priced so major shopping should be done in Mammoth or another town nearby.

We are a family of five and definitely have a hard time finding a place that we ALL enjoy. Heidelberg Inn definitely fits our bill pretty well. There is SO much to do and all of the locals are SO helpful. The little movie store (again within walking distance) has a gal running it who knows TONS of places to visit that are off the beaten track. Just ask...

• Liked — location - scenery
  • Disliked — beds
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank pest003s
karsie37, Resort General Manager at Heidelberg Inn, responded to this review, 20 May 2007
Thank you for such a terrific review. I agree with your attitude regarding the televisions. It frustrates me to no end to hear guests complain about cell phones and internet when there is so much to do and see! Put technology aside for a week and really relax in the great outdoors! Glad we could provide something for everyone and your family had a memorable experience with us. You have provided us with one of the greatest compliments by coming back. As far as the beds being too hard, some like it hard, some like it soft - everyone has their own preference, and, for every too hard comment I have a too soft comment to match it.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Los Angeles
Reviewed 23 April 2007

My family recently stayed at Heidelberg Inn, June Lake from April 14- 21, 2007. I wasn't too excited about the place due to photos posted on its website. The photos looked outdated and didn't have any charms. However, when we arrived, we were glad to see that the photos on its website were "really outdated".

The lobby was something you would see in a movie. It had a huge stone fireplace with a full size stuffed bear and a dear head. The fire place was big enough that you could walk through it. Also, the walls of the lounge area were decorated with black & white photographs of movie stars from the 30's - 50's who were regulars at this classy place.

Customer service was also above and beyond. Check in was easy and speedy. People who worked at the Inn were very friendly and eager to please its guests. Janice was especially helpful whenever I needed something. She even stayed longer for the Rootbeer Float night so that my family didn't miss out coming back late from our dinner.

The room was beautifully decorated. It appears all of the rooms were recently remodeled with granite top, new kitchen & bath cabinets/appliances, and new furniture & carpet. However, the room need some colorful paint job instead of boring dull white walls. I would love the opportunity to repaint the rooms in exchange for free stays!

Anyhow, my family (wife & 2 kids), mother in law, and uncle Art, really enjoyed staying at Heidelberg Inn. I would highly recommend anyone visiting June Lake or Mammoth area to give it a try. Mammoth is only 20 minutes away and it's perfect location away from the hustle and bustle of Mammoth but not too far.

Town of June Lake is very charming and its residents are friendly to all it's visitors. Local restaurants are great and the view of June Lake is just magnificent.

We are planning our second trip to June Lake in May...can't wait to go back.

• Liked — Location...close to Mammoth but not in Mammoth.
  • Disliked — Pillows were uncomfortable.
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank sftonykim
karsie37, Resort General Manager at Heidelberg Inn, responded to this review, 30 April 2007
Thank you for such a positive review and for mentioning an outstanding employee by name. We pride ourselves on our nationally recognized customer service.

Admittedly, our web photos are terribly outdated. The rooms have been remodeled within the past two years. It is quite a challenge tracking down all of our photo representation to have it updated, but we're sure trying.

We are glad your family had such a memorable vacation and we look forward to your return.
Ormskirk, England
Reviewed 26 May 2006

We visited The Heidelberg Inn fron England in May, 2006 and had a wonderful stay. Karen Resort Manager) and her staff Lisa, Janice etc. were very friendly and helpful. We initially had a rear two bedroomed apartment, but there was no problem changing to one at the front of the property with wonderful views and a large shared deck, the following day.
We would call June Lake a small town or village and this time of year definately geared to fishing. The scenery is wonderful, the weather certainly helped, cloudless blue sky each day and temp. in the 70's.
One word of advice and caution for Europeans travelling to this area. We were expecting to be able to drive into Yosemite from June Lake, the Tioga Pass entrance is only about 20 miles away, however, on our map it does state 'closed in winter' on this side of Highway 120. We expected the pass to be open in May (spring) but it was still closed so we had a 7 hours drive (approx. 300 miles) to the western side of the park. Karen at The Heidelberg told us the pass didn't open until early July last year (2005). Something to bear in mind.
Anyway there is plenty to see and do in the area and we had a great stay at The Heidelberg Inn.

• Stayed May 2006
8 Thank PGH9
karsie37, Resort General Manager at Heidelberg Inn, responded to this review, 17 August 2006
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It is wonderful that you were able to see Yosemite despite the round about way of getting there. We encourage potential visitors to contact us directly at the resort for this type of information as it can make all the difference in your stay. Regardless, you seemed to make the best of it and enjoy yourselves. We hope you will visit us again.
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 October 2005

My husband and I were very excited to get away for a much needed vacation -- our first in years. We booked through a third party reservation service called Resortime and we were guaranteed a room for a Mon-Fri stay. When we checked in, we were advised that Wednesday night of our stay was overbooked and we might have to leave the hotel midway through our trip -- not what you want to hear when you're planning on a relaxing break! The hotel manager was apologetic laying blame with Resortime. Resortime indicated that the hotel failed to notify them of the availability (or lack thereof) of rooms. By the following day, we were notified by the hotel manager that we were okay and that our stay would be uninterrupted as originally planned - Whew!

Well, when we got home, we discovered that we had been billed TWO erroneous charges for the Wednesday night of our stay. The entity that billed us was Extra Holidays, yet another booking service for the hotel and one with whom we had zero prior contact. I can only assume that in trying to remedy our reservation problem, the hotel manager provided our credit card info to Extra Holidays who then billed us inappropriately. I made in excess of a dozen calls to both Extra Holidays and the hotel manager at the Heidelberg Inn over the following several weeks. I was assured on more than one occasion that my credit had been processed. On my second to last call to the hotel, I was advised that Extra Holidays was actually sitting on my credit but that they would expedite it and that I would receive a credit by the following Monday -- that was almost 2 weeks ago and still nothing. I finally had to dispute the charges with my credit card company.

The inn is nice and comfortable. June Lake is a quiet, beautiful location. While the staff at Heidelberg Inn was pleasant, the problem with my reservation together with all of the hassles surrounding the bogus charges and failure to rectify the problem in a timely manner leaves a bad taste. Service is how you are treated not only before and during your stay but also after -- esp. when there is a problem. The frustration I have endured trying to remedy the errors made during our stay detracts from whatever enjoyment we had while on vacation. Next time, I'll stay someplace else.

• Stayed August 2005
15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 July 2005

We loved staying here. We had a lovely one room-studio with an incredible shower and jacuzzi tub. The kitchen, while tiny, suited our needs for home cooked meals each night! We also had a dining area and a great full sleeper sofa our 18 year old enjoyed. (well, I think he was having such a great time snowboarding that he didn't mind the couch)We were 5 minutes from June Mountain Ski Resort and about 20 minutes from Mammoth Lakes Ski Resort. The outdoor jacuzzi was awesome- the beautiful views of the town of June Lake in the snow were amazing. The fireplace in the main gathering room is wonderful and having games available for families to play is a nice touch. I am still the family champion of Mille Bournes!!! The staff was helpful and attentive. This was a great bargain for Easter Week. The snow storm that brought 9" of snow didn't hurt, either! Great POW days at June!

• Stayed March 2005
6 Thank michelelyl
, Resort General Manager at Heidelberg Inn, responded to this review, 8 August 2005
It is a breath of fresh air to hear a positive winter weather experience after the snowfall we had this past season. While traveling may have posed some difficulty, it sounds like the fresh powder certainly made up for it for you and your family. See you at our resort and on the slopes next year!
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 March 2005

As a return customer to Heidelberg Inn I was very dissapointed this last weekend with the the service at the counter. I booked a 2 bedroom condo for us thru the management company for a weekend stay. Tha rate that we pay as owners in Pono Kai timeshare has been 75 dollars for 2 bedrooms for may years. This rate was quoted to me at the time of booking and expected my checkout bill to reflect this. As we were leaving on Monday morning, I asked my wife to checkout and sign our bill while I was loading the car. She did, after waiting 10 minutes at the counter for someone to show up, then showed me the bill as I was packing. I noticed that we were not charged our normal rate so I went back and asked the counter clerk if she could explain why the rate has changed. She seemed annoyed and did not even plan on walking up to the counter, she attempted to help me while she was preoccupied with some filing work she was doing. She insisted that I was wrong and she knows that the rate I was charged was correct.

I asked if we could call the management company to sort this out, since they are obviously not on the same page. She replied, "Maybe in 20 minutes, right now I am busy with something else". I asked what could be more important then a customer standing in front of her, and she said " I have bigger problems right now then this" In the end she flat out refused to take care of a customer issue, that I was clearly unhappy about. I am a customer service manager at my company and if any of my staff handled themselves like Lisa did on Monday, they would not have much of a future.
It was a simple problem that could of been solved in 2 minutes, with a helpful attitude and a little effort. I love staying at the Heidleberg Inn, I think its a beautiful lodge, but must say that with this kind of service it really leaves a black eye on the experience. Its the people that make the difference and Lisa made the wrong difference.

• Stayed January 2005
15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, Resort General Manager at Heidelberg Inn, responded to this review, 17 March 2005
I apologize that you were not given the attention that you deserved. However, it sounds as if there may have been something else occurring at the time you were attempting to check out. The front desk staff does their best to isolate problems with other guests to prevent them from spilling over. Sometimes, back-to-back situations can send the best employee into a flustered state. Regardless, as the guest standing at the counter, you should have been taken care of right away. Within the next few weeks, the entire Heidelberg staff will be undergoing a customer service training program developed by our parent company. We are always striving for improvement and hope that one less than terrific experience will not keep you from returning.
SoCal
Reviewed 16 January 2005

First a little background for those of you willing to make the long drive from LA or Reno. June Lake is not like Mammoth or Tahoe. It's a small town with a modest ski hill which is what makes it special, and for that matter the Heidelberg Inn. We were there from the 4th through the 7th of January. I have been going to June for a number of years and have never stayed at the Inn. The Inn dates back to the 30's and was a popular hotel for Hollywood stars of the day. The lobby is very large and decorated with pictures of the rich and famous that stayed there through the years, many stuffed animals, and a very large fireplace. The room was large, clean, and modern. It is equiped with updated appliances including a full size fridge, a two burner stove, and a convection microwave. The staff is very freindly and professional. The hotel is located in the Village and is within walking distance of the general store and the Tiger Bar--a local restaurant and bar. We really enjoyed our stay will make this our first choice when we return.

12 Thank mugu_surfer
, Resort General Manager at Heidelberg Inn, responded to this review, 24 February 2005
Thank you for singing our praises. We are happy that the road closures, avalanches, and general blizzard-like conditions did not have a negative effect on your stay. See you again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near June Lake
Westin Monache Resort Mammoth
Westin Monache Resort Mammoth
#3 of 31 in Mammoth Lakes
Double Eagle Resort and Spa

Been to Heidelberg Inn? Share your experiences!