“Trip to the top of Mount Konocti”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Mount Konocti

Santa Rosa, California, United States
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Trip to the top of Mount Konocti”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

Climbed to the top yesterday. It is 4,200 feet up and it is very steep in some parts so I would call this a moderately strenuous climb. It takes two hours up and about an hour back down. The views are spectacular especially when you reach the summit and have a 360 degree view for many miles. The two and one half million year-old Clear Lake is below you. Take a lunch, plenty of water and a camera. Always helps to have a windbreaker as well as it can be very windy at the top. You reach the park through Kelseyville going out Konocti Road. It is a great way to spend the day!

Visited May 2014
2 Thank rbruck54

San Jose, California
107 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 196 helpful votes
“Hike Mt. Knocti -- steep/strenuous but a great view”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

A group of us hiked up the newly-opened trail to the top of Mt. Knocti. You can drive up to a parking lot about halfway up, but beware the DUST if you're going in the dry season. I have rarely seen such dust--my blue car turned clay-colored! Near the start of the trail is a weird section that loops around private property, and you go up at about a 50 degree angle. But then you hit a fire road, and it's much easier, but still steep. Go up to where you get a great view of the lake, then head back. We valiantly pressed on until we got to the meadow with the site of the settler cabin. Nice little meadow, with surrounding forest, but I'm not sure it was worth the extreme cardio-workout. Some of us stayed here, while my husband and his father continued to the top. Disappointing, they said---view was blocked by brush. Then we got to head back down. Whee. It didn't seem that steep on the way up, but my toes mashed the front of my hiking boots most of the way down. Reminded me of the hike back down from Half Dome, in terms of steep.

While I appreciate the park putting in the trail, it's definitely for serious hikers. No privies after the parking lot, so go while you can. And there's not a lot to see, once you get up near the top. The best view is about a mile up the trail, so go that far and head back.

Visited October 2011