“Best place in Sonoma or Napa Valley”

Kenwood Inn and Spa, A Four Sisters Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kenwood
“Best place in Sonoma or Napa Valley”
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed there for only two nights but wish it was more. The room was beautiful! Staff went beyond to make our stay perfect. Ate outside at private restaurant - only for hotel guests and friends. Stay in the large suite overlooking pool and vineyards. A must.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Richard R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Reviewed 6 July 2014

This would be a 4 star review at $199/night or less, but given rooms here range $~500-~$1000/night...

After thoroughly researching accommodations on Trip Advisor, Yelp, etc, I decided on the Kenwood Inn and Spa for my wife's birthday. I had visited the Inn previously for a wedding and because of that experience, thought it would be perfect. It was to be a short trip, two nights, along with a couples massage treatment. Directly after booking I received various confirmation emails and a phone call from the Inn detailing our upcoming stay. Very attentive, this gave me the impression that the service was going to be stellar. When we arrived, the concierge was very gracious and professional, check in was quick, and we were in our room, #2, in less than 15 minutes. They had placed some nice chocolates and a bottle of bubbly on ice in our room in honor of my wife's birthday. Nice touch, and thank you. So far so good...

CLEANLINESS: A little bit later on, my wife noticed that the toilet had not been cleaned 'at all' after the previous guests' departure. There were poop stains. That is disgusting. We have stayed in every caliber of place from cheap European B&Bs to 5 star properties, domestically and internationally, and have never, ever, seen this, not even at the most inexpensive highway motel. When we went down to dinner, I went to the front desk to ask them to address our bathroom but there was no one there. I waited about ten minutes and then decided to come back later, as my wife was now sitting alone at the dinner table. I went back later and told the rep about the issue and I was assured they would take care of it. It wouldn't have been a big deal if this was a gas station, but it's not. By the time we got back to our room, the issue had been addressed. Thank you.

NOISE/ROOM TEMPERATURE: Upon going to bed, we noticed that the hvac had an issue with the fan in the bathroom, whereby it could not be turned off, and it was blowing cold air. There was also something inside the hvac register in the main room that was creating a chirping sound throughout the night, which was disturbing and not conducive to a good night's sleep. The next morning, my wife called to ask how to shut off the hvac (because the obvious way, using the thermostat, wasn't working) and was told that our room and the one below us had some problems with the hvac system and there was no solution, but they would be remodeling soon and then the issue would be repaired. Really? The next night my wife asked for a pair of ear plugs.

BREAKFAST: We thought the breakfast had a good variety of self-serve items, and a good menu, which was unfortunately paired with a seemingly incompetent kitchen staff. The kitchen service was very slow, and in my opinion they shouldn't offer eggs at all, because they have no idea how to cook eggs. My wife ordered eggs over medium, which arrived sunny-side down, and her crispy bacon arrived almost rare. The problem was fixed, albeit very slowly (not the server's fault, she was great). The following day, I ordered the eggs benedict, which was perfect the first day, but this time the poached eggs arrived hard boiled. Even the server was appalled. Portion sizes for breakfast were just right if not a bit large. The coffee, granola, juices, and smoothies were excellent. Make your own mimosas included too!

DINNER: Let me start out by saying that our server, Kyle, was great. Very friendly, attentive, and knowledgeable. As far as the actual food, the main courses are really small and they don't offer ala carte side dishes to help fill you. They do bring you some fresh bread, which is very tasty with the delicious local olive oil served with it, but I recommend ordering a salad - they are of a normal size and tasty. The waiter took my knife with my salad plate and never replaced it. I was concerned not having a knife because I had ordered the pork loin, but it arrived so tender that there was no knife necessary, it cut easily with a fork, and it was juicy and delicious. There were a few potatoes and carrots, but not much to fill you. My wife ordered the chicken piccatta, which had a few ribbons of pasta and 3 pieces of artichoke served with it, the latter of which amounted to about one full bite, and were so stringy and chewy they were barely edible. So, even after sharing a dessert(equally small), my wife was still hungry and ate snacks in the room later. Now, we're not buffet-eating, stuff-to-the-gills people, but these portions lacked some substance.

SPA: GREAT massages in the huge, breezy (but not too much) spa terrace, however, we arrived slightly early and there was no one in the reception area to offer any kind of direction, water, etc. My wife did call the front desk and was told someone was on their way just as the therapists walked in. Our therapists were clearly professionals and the massages were certainly one of the highlights of our overall experience.

THE GOOD PARTS: Now, this may sound like a lot of complaining, but the point is this is not a Motel 6 where you'd let a lot of the above items "go" and not think too much about it. You don't expect to have to deal with any of these things at a property of this caliber and price. But, there are some good parts to this property - the pool and large hot tub are great, there are plenty of chairs and shade or sun. There's drinking water, sunscreen, magazines and towels. You can order food & drinks, although sometimes you have to call as it was not always tended. The look of the property IS amazing, rustic, a lot of character and a peaceful setting. The rooms are spacious, our balcony was one of the best we've enjoyed to date. The feather beds were really comfortable even though the down comforter was a bit overwhelming for summer use and the sheet alone too cool... Parking is not an issue. It's an 18 and over place, so no loud kids. The staff is all really friendly, gracious and accommodating and we did really have a relaxing couple of days.

Next time we're in the area, we will try a different property. While overall we enjoyed ourselves, we really feel that given the price point and image the facility attempts to present, it comes up short.

Room Tip: #2 has a pretty private, large balcony that has a plant secluded pool view, with a very pool-conveni...
2 Thank bob u
GMKIS, General Manager at Kenwood Inn and Spa, A Four Sisters Inn, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Michele

I am delighted to hear you found our anticipatory service to be up to your standards. The Kenwood Inn & Spa strives to ensure that our guests feel that their needs and requests are catered to at all turns. In such regards, please accept my apologies that your experience fell short of your expectations.

We are very proud of our accommodations given their authentic Italian appearance and as such we work diligently to ensure our rooms are thoroughly cleaned. We are aware of the fact that our air conditioning units in your room are outdated, which is why we are installing an entirely new system that will feature a seamless user interface and temperature readout to negate the issues you experienced. I am sorry that you were one of the last guests to experience this antiquated system. I would be delighted to speak with you in regards to your experience with us.

My sincerest wish is that you return to us so that we might personally ensure your experience is one which will be forever remembered fondly.

Heike Pacchetti
Kenwood Inn & Spa
~~~~
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Stayed for our 20th anniversary the and it was incredidible! Everyone was very friendly and the property was gorgeous. We felt we were all alone even though the place was full of other guests. Great access to the best vineyards in Sonoma Valley.

Birmingham
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Beautiful inn with lovely grounds, spacious rooms, lovely pool area, excellent dining with sumptuous breakfast. Wine bar with ample choices. The staf were attentive and helpful. Located on the main road, it is peaceful and close to numerous wineries and the old shopping square

Room Tip: Book the third floor rooms with beautiful views of Sonoma Valley

Highland Park
Reviewed 30 June 2014

our stay at the Kenwood was a gracious Tuscan experience. A pleasure to come back to after a days journey on our rented tandem bike from Wine Country Tours in Healdsburg which we rode through the the Dry Creek and Russian River area, and lunch at the Dry Creek General Store ; this is an area not to be missed! The Kenwood Inn is very gracious in feel and presentation and designed for privacy and luxuriating. The staff is very attentive for as much or as little as one requires.
Will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Stay in Room #11 or the second floor suite across from it.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Boulder
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Very disappointed in the room which was not inexpensive, but still noisy, dark, and had a missing bathtub drain. This was reported to the staff but was not repaired the next day when promised. It's a beautiful hotel, but make sure you know what room you are going to be in. We requested a garden room, not realizing that breakfast was served in the garden, and pretty early at that on a Saturday morning, so it was noisy. I also don't recommend the first floor, the light isn't very beautiful.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear David,

Thank you for sharing with us your experience at the Kenwood Inn & Spa. I am terribly sorry to hear that you disliked your room. The room you were in, the Stanze Nel Giardino, is in general our most basic room, however, the room you were in possessed an upgraded bathroom that only our largest and most extravagant rooms contain. The marble flooring, jetted tub, and oversized glass-walled shower are usually a hit with our guests! Unfortunately, and please accept my sincerest apologies, a previous guest decided to try and dismantle the rather complex drain on your rooms jetted tub. While were able to acquire a replacement, it was unfortunately operating no more than an hour after your departure. I would very much like to speak with you in regards to this incident and as such I make myself available to you. (707-833-1293)

Heike Pacchetti
Kenwood Inn & Spa
Denver, CO
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

The only thing negative I can say is that we only stayed one night. I have been fortunate to be able to travel the world with my job and hands down was one of the nicest places I have ever been! From arrival to departure it was pure luxury and 5 star treatment. Hats off to the chef too as the meals were outstanding. The highlight for me and my wife was not the amazing hot tubs...the amazing food, the beautiful pool..the fireplace in the room.... - for us the highlight was the best in the industry concierge. Both the evening and day concierge were beyond friendly and two of the most welcoming people in the industry! We cannot wait to go back and spend more time there!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JK4
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenwood
MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,286 reviews
Auberge du Soleil
Auberge du Soleil
#1 of 1 in Rutherford

Been to Kenwood Inn and Spa, A Four Sisters Inn? Share your experiences!