“Sorry, but we thought it was over-rated by prior reviews” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Whispering Pines Lodge
Ranked #2 of 3 Kernville B&B and Inns
Fresno, CA
“Sorry, but we thought it was over-rated by prior reviews”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2006

Sorry to burst the bubble. We stayed at Whispering Pines last night.

The air conditioner in our room was terrible. It was one of those wall units and made awful noises all night. Besides our room was really hot when we got there. The owners didn't think of pre-cooling our room. . .

Also, little things like having a phone in the bathroom with the handset missing were weird.

This morning, the cook burned the bacon and put it out anyway. Other than that the breakfast was ok if you don't mind eating a Costco breakfast -- muffins, etc.

The decor of the rooms were also disappointing for a "bed and breakfast." It is ok if you really like "country kitch." We expected something more gracious - at least ruggedly elegant - to go along with the nice knotty pine celings and pillow top beds. Whomever decorated this place likes "cute."

In short it was really expensive for a motel with its name changed to a "B&B." Prior reviews set our expectations way too high.

• Stayed June 2006
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank h20skiguy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Berkhamsted, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2005

We stayed for 4 nights in August. The hotel is in a beautiful setting with the pool overlooking the river. Breakfast is an experience with all sorts of food I've never been offered at that time of day before! The room was lovely but we'd originally taken a room plus pull-out for two teenagers. Not a great idea as there were no curtains in the living room and no door to the bathroom! Apparently no one had ever noticed before! We took a second room and modesty was preserved.

The staff were friendly and helpful. The only thing that stops this from being excellent is the sense that a bit more maintenance - especially for the pool - would improve it more.

Kernville was fun - rafting and kayaking both memorable as were the giant sequoias. Wow!

• Stayed August 2005
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
5 Thank AnneBerkhamsted_UK
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2005

My girlfriend and I went stayed at WP for Valentine's day. We have a beautiful room with a fireplace and huge bathroom overlooking the river. It was so relaxing and romantic. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The breakfast in the morning was amazing. A full home cooked breakfast. I would deifinatly go back and stay there again. I would highly recommend WP.

9 Thank chelseafan72
Santa Clarita, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2004

I made a reservation at Whispering Pines Lodge and secured my reservation with a credit card for arrival on August 13, 2004. I was even given a confirmation number. Upon arriving with my family, I was told that they had given our room to someone else. When I was finally able to find the owner and speak to her, she most rudely told me that our predicament was "too bad" and there was nothing she could do about renting our already paid for room right out from under us. When I tried to reason with her, she said I could leave right now and closed the door in my face. I understand the lodge has new owners. I urge anyone goind to Kernville to avoid the Whispering Pines Lodge and the new owners at all costs. Really bad service. Really bad business. They caused us so much stress and practically ruined our entire vacation.

27 Thank Love2go1016
Orange County, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2004

We stayed at the Whispering Pines Lodge in July 2004. I had selected the McCambridge Lodge not knowing anything about the town of Kernville or the hotels. When we arrived at the McCambridge Lodge after two days of rafting the Kern River (amazing experience with Whitewater Voyages), the owner had given the one and only "cabin" that we reserved two months prior away (and to think I had re-confirmed the reservation just two days prior). We were offered a less than desirable smaller room at a slightly reduced rate for the inconvenience but were so disappointed by the way we were treated at McCambridge (and the less than desirable appearance of the McCambridge inside and out) that we opted to try our luck elsewhere. How fortunate we were to find a room at Whispering Pines Lodge just up the street. It was a bit more pricey but we had an amazing room with full kitchen, gorgeous balcony and a gas fireplace (though not needed in July, it was very pretty and romantic). The decor is perfect and the breakfast was outstanding. Service was great. After getting to know the town a little more, there are a number of quaint places to stay, but why mess with perfection? Stay at Whispering Pines. It's top notch, quiet and an ideal location. We'll go back.

7 Thank Amy M
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2004

Only a 1 night stay, room was superbly equipped and located. Very friendly staff, excellent breakfast. Try Mc Nally's for Steaks (24 oz filet mignon! - eats like butter). Wish we had booked for longer.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Lake Forest, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2004

My husband and I have stayed at WP twice. I had done a lot of research on places to stay in Kernville and decided to take a chance on WP based on the information on the website.

When we turned the corner to the resort we were pleasantly surprised. It felt as though we entered a different region - big shady trees, lots of greenery, and of course, the rapids of the river just below our deck. Our second stay was as expected - a wonderful respite from the city. As a previous reviewer wrote - do not miss the fantastic breakfast included in the room rate. We really enjoyed sitting on the deck next to the carved wooden bears and singing birds.

Keep up the good work WP!

5 Thank Cathy33LakeForest_CA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kernville
Sequoia Lodge
#1 of 8 in Kernville
Barewood Inn & Suites
Barewood Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Wofford Heights

Been to Whispering Pines Lodge? Share your experiences!