See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I really, really, really wish these guys did not charge $130 a night in Kern! If only they had charged around $70, we could have left an amazing review. Would I come back? Yeah, I would - but I certainly would look around - like at the Sequoia Lodge. River View had a nice location right on the river, but, be warned that the rooms are in shabby shape and it's located right next to a trailer park. The TV only received one channel, the toilet was broken, rug was very dirty and absolutely no room amenities. Nice continental breakfast and the internet worked and also very centrally located for those who don't want to wake up in the wilderness ( which we prefer as well ). In summary, nice people - ok location - but 100% look around and do not pay Hilton rates for a shack and a rack.

Room tip: there are two rooms that the lodge claims are haunted.
Date of stay: May 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank jasndom
foolforfish, Owner at River View Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Jasndom,
Thank you for your review. We work hard to give the best experience we can. The T.V. does 67 cable channels but can be confusing to use due to us having to use digital boxes form the cable company. This will be eliminated soon as we are in the process of installing digital ready flat screens in all the rooms. I am not sure what other amenities we could furnish as all rooms have microwaves, refrigerators,Cable T.V., free Wi-Fi and Air conditioning. We clean our carpets often but due to our location (on the river, beach), this is a constant endeavor. Our rates are comparable with all other local establishments and are usually even cheaper. We take pride in our lodge and will be constantly striving to bring you the best we can offer in what we feel is the best location in town.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

This property has potential but has become a little rundown. The chairs on the porch are overly worn. There was dust behind the bed so the rooms need to be more thoroughly cleaned. All of that said, it is a charming place located conveniently in the heart of downtown Kernville. The bed was comfortable as was the couch in our king sized room. The river is nearby and that is a plus too. What we most appreciated is that they accept pets since the people we were traveling with had dogs. The continental breakfast was okay ... prepackaged sweet rolls, fresh fruit, coffee/tea. The staff was very friendly. With a little more effort on the rooms and attention to detail to eliminate anything that looks frayed around the edges, this place would garner a higher rating from me.

Date of stay: February 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank CacheOn
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We enjoyed our stay here, our room was very cosy and had a nice rustic feel to it. The bed was so comfy too. Kernville itself was nice too and there are lots of restaurants to choose from near to the hotel.
We were on the end of the row of rooms so had some noise late at night from people returning home from bars but all in all a great stay. Breakfast was a little bit basic and there was no where to sit, but if you want a quick stop its fine. Very friendly people, nice location by the river, good and clean rooms. Good stop over if visiting Sequoia NP or Death Valley. Don't take the shortcut through Glennville at night if you are coming from Sequoia it was long and windy and steep! It is better to go via Bakersfield.

Date of stay: November 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I have stayed here a few times. The proprietors, John, and his wife are very nice people and John always has the lowdown on the area fishing.

I stayed here last month for two nights. John is very accommodating as I reserved two rooms and accidentally forgot to cancel one of the reservations when my buddy backed out a few days before. He graciously looked the other way, and I hope he was able to rent the room out.

The whole vibe of the place just takes you back to a time long gone by. The building is about 100 years old. They used lots of logs, bark, and knotty pine to give this place an of-the-woods feel. They have some nice antiques positioned around the property, and there are large old, cottonwoods that add to the beauty of the property. It's rustic, no doubt, but very appropriate given you are in the Kern Valley, up in the Sierras, and next to a free-flowing BEAUTIFUL Kern River. Fishing is literally a few steps away from your door.

I would definitely recommend this lodge to anyone. The rooms were clean, the beds were comfortable, and the showers were warm after a long day trekking through the valley. In the morning, there is a small but free continental B-Fast with coffee, cereal, fresh fruit (they keep this out all day long) and danishes.

Room tip: I stayed in 5 with 2 queen beds. I think you cant go wrong with any room.
Date of stay: October 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We choose the property as they accommodated pets. Other pros is the location of the hotel, which is on a major street, easy walk to restaurants, shops and right in front of the river. Then there is the property itself. There is rustic, and then there is rustic. I would classify this property as a motel and not a lodge. The bathroom needed a new shower curtain. The shower needed to be cleaned. I will leave it at that. Also found spider webs on the lamp and window treatments inside the room. The windows have drawing blinds but not all of them worked. The blinds are not wide enough, so technically, at night you can look into the room from the outside if you really wanted to. I had to hang my shower towel over the sides of the windows to cover up and ensure privacy.

Room tip: Don't stay in room 1 as it is immediately adjacent to the main road, so you can hear big trucks pass by all day and night.
Date of stay: September 2013