Rivernook Campground
The Kern Lodge(Kernville)(Great Value!)
US$108
River View Lodge(Kernville)
US$116
Travelocity
  • Free Internet
Barewood Inn & Suites(Wofford Heights)
US$108
US$64
US$57
WoodSpring Suites Bakersfield(Bakersfield)(Great Value!)
US$74
Travelocity
US$53
  • Pool
Kernville Inn(Kernville)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsnice campgrounddump stationlarge sitesfull hookupshook upsnew managementcamp groundcamping tripgolf cartminute drivethe rivertroutlake isabellapottiesrvraftersfolks
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We have just returned from camping here in a travel-trailer. Our family had been there in the past, so we went with a larger group this year. We stayed in the full hook-up spots and will NOT be doing that again. You are not very close to water, and the walk is not so great when you have rafts, coolers, etc. Two of the couples we were with have been going there for 30 years and noted that there was a negative difference in the way the grounds were maintained.

PROS: Right on the Kern River, and down river from the Hatchery, where fish are usually stocked into the river. There is a neat little creek that runs through the camp, large enough to swim in.

CONS: Literally no management. They were there when we checked in, and that was the last I saw anyone in the office. The sites are EXTREMELY dusty (I am an avid dry-camper, so I don't expect a lot, but this was BAD) and none of our group's sites were cleaned prior to check-in. In addition, there is trash littered all over the property, including near the water. This isn't entirely the management's fault, as campers should take-in/take-out. I was pretty disgusted with the amount of trash...broken bottles, plastic cups, etc. People seem to have no sense of courtesy either, as by the second day, we were listening to mariachi music come from the tent sites at 7 am (this would be something that management could do something about). We had campers also come in and set up at 3 am, blasting music and running around in a golf cart.

I would not recommend this campground, but if you HAVE to go, stay in a site near water. If you have small children, the river usually runs quite fast, so you won't be able to just 'relax' in the water.

We did go next door to Camp James, which was like the Ritz Carlton compared to this place. But, their water sites are not as numerous and the non-water sites are much smaller.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank SurfBum79
JamiWard, General Manager at Rivernook Campground, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2016

Hello,

I would first like to introduce myself, I am Jami and I took over management a year ago as did the new owner. We have taken all past posts into consideration and have put money back into the park. We have completed our lower restroom renovation and will be finished with the island restrooms February 2017. We have hired more maintenance crew that work year round to work on beautifying the park without taking away it's rustic charm. We hope that next time your in the area you come and see for yourself, we would love to gain your business back. Thank you for your time.

Reviewed 30 May 2012

I have been comming to Rivernook for the past 20 years and have seen a huge drop in campers. There was a time when people worked and cleaned up the campspots before new campers arrived when bathroom were cleaned on a dailey baises when toilets and showers were fixed in a timely fashion. There used to be managment on site that were strict and sometimes heavy handed but made sure that everone had a good time. Now managment is non existint. I met a man named Steve who said he was the owner and that if i didnt like the way it was then leave . Some customer service Believe me in the future I will be staying next door at James Camp

Room Tip: Go to James Camp!!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank BigCamper1
JamiWard, General Manager at Rivernook Campground, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2017

Hello,
I just wanted to introduce myself as the General Manager. I have been actively the General Manager for almost 2 years now and the previous owners daughter took over ownership. We are happy to say that Steve is no longer a part of the campground :) Alot has changed since your post, we have remodeled the office and added a little general store we have also remodeled our restrooms and updated to WIFI availability.. We would hope next time your in the area you stop in and check out all of the positive changes we have made.

Reviewed 19 February 2012

I love this campground! It is very clean, the showers are warm and pretty clean. There is no crazy wildlife waiting for your food. I've been to other campsites where the raccoons are practically sitting on your lap asking to be fed. Not this place! Rivernook is an all-time favorite of ours. We go at least once a year.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Marib17
Reviewed 4 November 2011

It seems Eric L. from Redondo Beach needs to stick to a campground more his level.

Perhaps the KOA - Beverly Hills is more to your liking? I'm sure they will even heat up your Toilet seat before using it if his Majesty so pleases?

I've camped there more than a few times over the past 10 years and not once have I seen Diapers on the ground NOR Dog-poop-land-mines scattered around as he suggested.

Sure... there are trailers that have full-timers.... but they are near the front.

The point of going there is to be near the river.... not up front. They are however very clean as I remember.

I don't remember the Bathroom conditions NOR do I recall seeing any "Tweekers". I do think that had the bathrooms been as bad as suggested that I would remember that. (We use our Trailer bathroom for convenience though).

I'm going to chalk his review up to being (possibly) a competitor from "a much better spot downstream".

Look up Yelp reviews to see what people on average really think.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank Camper D
Reviewed 5 September 2011

We stayed in a pull thru site toward the end of the camp area. When we pulled a group of deer were walking thru our campsite! The river is within walking distance of the camp area (some camp site are right on the river). They provided us with a cable hook however I couldn't get it to work. The staff wasn't overly friendly but still helpful when needed. The park is occupied by permanently resident as well as vacationers. The weather wasn't too great when we went in April but its awesome in the summer time (very busy, and more of party atmosphere in the summertime). The town is a less than a mile away from this camp area, which is very convenient. Down the rod, less than a mile is a boys detention center , where we often seen the boys working outside (monitored by guard), which creeped me out a little.

Room Tip: campsite a good size, full hook ups available, very scenic, good priced!
  • Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family