“LOVED IT!”

Sierra South Mountain Sports
Ranked #3 of 11 things to do in Kernville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Sierra South has been in business 30+ years and offers: The oldest, largest, and most experienced whitewater kayaking school in Southern California. As well as, guided whitewater raft trips on the Kern River through Kernville as well as on the Upper Kern's Class III-V sections north of town. We offer recreational kayak trips on Lake Isabella, rock climbing courses at local climbing areas, standup paddleboard (SUP) rentals & classes, and river tube rentals and shuttles at the end of the whitewater season. We also have a brick-and-mortar outfitters store stocked with gear, clothing, and gifts for paddling and mountain sports adventures. We are centrally located in the river town of Kernville, with a view of the Kern from our deck. Since 1995 an online River Store, where an actual person who knows paddling will handle your order and/or answer the customer service line. We support the Kern Valley River Council, the annual Kern River Festival, and Kern River Streambed and Park Restoration Project. This is an award-winning location for those scouting for film, television, and print media.
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I am the only one in my family who has white water rafted. I read the descriptions of the Lickety Blaster and it seemed like a good intro for my husband, kids ages 7 and 5, and parents, ages 66 and 67. I was right. We had SUCH A GOOD TIME. The river was pretty low due to low snow pack, but it was still a great ride. Brandon was our guide and he was funny, knowledgeable, patient with the kids and a nervous grandmother. Awesome. Totally worth the time and money.

1  Thank msjen141
SierraSouthMtSports, Public Relations Manager at Sierra South Mountain Sports, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2017

Jen,
Thank you for your kind review. We are glad that your family had such a great time. Hopefully you will be spending some time in the Kern River soon. This year looks like we may have the best water we've had in years. No low water conditions in 2017!!

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"parents"
"instructor"

Reviewed 18 May 2012

I am a middle aged woman who had never rafted before. I was a bit apprehensive but the entire staff worked in a friendly manner to calm my fears. The entire experience was a positive one from the time I started inquiring about rafting trips to the time I turned my life vest and paddle back in. I highly recommend this company for rafting the kern!!

Thanks to all of the staff at Sierra South, I am no longer afraid to raft and look forward to the next time I can go!!

Sue,
Thank you for your review. So glad to hear that you are no longer afraid to raft. It is a truly fun and memorable experience. Hope you are looking forward to being in the Kern River soon. 2017 looks like it is going to be a great year for water. See you then!!

Reviewed 7 August 2011

Whitewater river rafting on the upper Kern in the Southern Sierra. Choose your level - having just done their Class IV water, I think I'm more of a III gal myself, but this was definitely a thrill. You are well prepared and supervised by your guides: lifevests and helmets and what to do when. We took a practice run in Kernville, then up to the Johnsondale Bridge to run a more difficult stretch two times. (Not all of the river is runnable, so specific stretches are selected).

Your guides take great care of you - plenty of cold water, snacks, and corny schtick on the bus rides. They are young, fit, and unflappable. All of them constantly supervise the flotilla of about 4 rafts with 6 to 4 passengers each. I did go flying out of the raft in one rapid - wow is that river powerful! I was plucked out promptly - all the guides have an eye on everyone and a whistle to communicate.

Thrilling and absolutely beautiful. The weather was hot and river was cold, so it felt great to get splashed in the white water. What to bring: water shoes, non-cotton clothing and cheap sunglasses with a tether. They will keep your other things while you raft. A couple rafters brought their cameras inside hardened water-proof cases, securely tethered. I wish now we'd asked for a picture - none were taken by Sierra South, although they had a set-up so they might on the week-ends. It would be great if they had a camera set up, like they do on rollercoasters, to catch the action. But the river is very changeable as the snowmelt varies so it might not be practical. This is a seasonal attraction, spring through summer. This year is predicted to be long, with record-high flows.

Jane,
Thank you for you wonderful review. Could not have described the Upper Kern trip any better. Hopefully you will be coming out for some excitement this summer. 2017 looks like it will be an exceptional year for water sports. Hope to see you soon!!