“Excellent Dinner”

Green Valley, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent Dinner”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We made reservations for Friday night. They had a quaint quiet table waiting for us. We ordered the "Ribeye Special" and 'Penne de Portofino". Both were delicious. They served mixed drinks--the margarita was great!

Visited July 2014

Huntington Beach
“Authentic Italian”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

A fine aroma of garlic and other spices filled the restaurant. We were warmly greeted by the waitress and were requested to choose where we wanted to sit. The tables were clean and the flatware was shiny (no water spots, some restaurants still don’t get it). Our drinks, salads and excellent garlic toast were promptly served. Our meal was expertly prepared, which unfortunately left no room for desert. The waitress was always available, but not intrusive. The restroom was impeccably clean. We will definitely return.

• Visited June 2014
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Surprising Find”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Great Italian food where you least expect it. Most perfect salads I have had in a long time. Prices moderate.

Visited May 2014
“Never again”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Made reservations and arrived right on time. Our first indication this was going to go bad was as soon as we sat down at the table it was dirty with crumbs. One of the placemats were moved to brush under it and we found an unappetizing stain from a previous diner. It looked like they just reset the table rather than changing the cloth tablecloth. Second the waitress ignored us for 30 minutes before taking our drink order and then disappeared for another 15 minutes before she brought them to us. We ordered an appetizer at the same time of our drinks. Before we were able to place our order they came and took our menus to give to another table. As we were explaining that we haven't ordered yet the waitress just walked away. We then receive our "fresh bruchetta" which was nothing more than frozen garlic bread lightly toasted with canned diced tomatoes and processed mozzarella cheese slices melted over top. As we were gawking over this so called appetizer we then saw the waitress take the order of diners who came in well after us. That was the final straw. Rude service, dirty location and not as ounce of class from the staff when we explained why we were leaving. Make the extra trek to McNally's up the road. It takes another 20 to 30 minutes to get there but the scenic drive and staff will make it worth it. That's Italian? Not so much!

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank MrsKHawes
Lodi, California
“Our "average" rating is quite generous.”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Nice restaurant in terms furnishings, decor, and overall attractiveness for a small town. The staff members we talked to were great. The only problem was that neither of us enjoyed our meal (though I devoured my ice cream). I had eaten here several years ago and had found the food colorful but pretty bland. Nevertheless, That's Italian was the only suitable restaurant (we didn't want Mexican) within a very short walk from our lodgings.

We were seated outside in a prime location as we had reserved. It was absolutely perfect as was the weather. We were waited on promptly, familiarized with the evening's specials and soon placed our orders. Anne ordered eggplant parmigiana and I the cannelloni. I think I noticed that the menu stated that were made with crepes but I didn't give it any thought.

Long story short, here's what we received. The parmigiani looked like a 4 x 6 piece of frozen Gorton's white fish of some type that I was forced to eat as a kid . . . only this little rectangle appeared to have been deep fried about two days past al dente. Whatever it was was hard with no discernible cheese. The cannelloni was soft but presentable with flavors that could at best be describe as subtle . . . I can see why many people would like it but I am not one of them but I ate more than half of it. I didn't find the crepes appropriate. While writing this I looked up recipes for cannelloni both from the U.S. and Italy . . . all used pasta (which gives a nice consistency if not overcooked). The only reference I could find for using crepes was in Argentina and Uruguay. Now That's Italian???? But not in any part of Italy or even Little Italy I have been to. But the chef certainly has the option to choose all ingredients and method of preparation. And if I were the owner I would certainly want to please my local clientele which I am sure that he does on a consistent basis.

In fairness, the owner was very gracious and "comped" the parmigiana. If he, the staff and the ambiance had not been so nice we would have entered a "two" rating. WWe try to be as truthful as possible in all of our reviews.

Most people have given it a "four" or a "five" . . . but most of these, but not all, were not particularly experienced travelers or restaurant reviewers. But then taste is in the mouth of the beholder.

Recommendation: Make sure you are very clear about what you are ordering and how it is prepared. It sounds like some of the sauteed dishes and old standbys such as meatballs seem the most satisfying.

• Visited May 2014