“I wanted to love it.”

Johnny McNally's Lodge
Ranked #8 of 16 Restaurants in Kernville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 8 December 2013

The menu boasted "generous portions" so we were expecting to have plenty of food to go around, We didn't leave hungry, but I definitely wouldn't have considered the portions generous.

Pros:
The pickles! They tasted just like the pickles my neighbor back home would make every summer.
The service! One of the members of our party was on a restricted diet, and the chef was able to accommodate her request for vegetables instead of a potato, even though there were no vegetables on the menu. Our bus boy was exceptionally friendly.
The location! Could the Kern River be any more lovely? I don't think so.
The steaks! Rarely do I find a steak that tastes as good as one grilled by my dad.

The cons:
The portion sizes:
Other than the steaks, we were disappointed with the portion sizes. Had the menu not mentioned "generous portions," we likely would not have been disappointed.
The lack of healthier options:
It would be nice to at least offer a vegetable.

The rundown:
Good steaks. Small portions. Limited selection.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

Terry & Carol are the best hosts anywhere. A well stocked bar means you can enjoy your favorite beverage outdoors overlooking the river. The only other steaks of this quality I recall were in the Midwest and the homemade side dishes are ‘like Mom made’. First-rate service and friendly staff make this at least an annual occurrence. Sometimes twice a year.

Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

As there isn't a separate entry for this, and it's on the same property, a review is in order. This is a great option during the day. Great burgers and fries. You can either order to go, or enjoy on the shaded picnic tables in front. Been coming here for years and never yet disappointed!

Reviewed 11 August 2013

My husband & I had dinner there tonight. Food was excellent & service was great! Ordered our drinks and the hostess, Penny, suggested we take our cocktails out back & stroll across the Kern River bridge. I have not been to this place in 40 years. So peaceful listening to the river. Went back inside the diner as it was time for our reservation. Salads were very good, along with house pickles & peppers. Grilled halibut was perfection. Service was excellent. Thank you again for a wonderful time!

1  Thank michanne8
Reviewed 3 August 2013

If you have heart problems, high cholesterol, high-blood pressure or overweight issues, Johnny McNally's menu is not a nutritious choice for you. If you do not fall into one of those categories you will probably like it.
There was only ONE vegetarian choice, lasagna, and the limited menu for fish was fried. Not good if you care about healthy, nutritious food. It is the only restaurant to choose from on the Upper Kern River, near Kernville, so I guess you could say they have a captive audience. The waitress brought the wrong salad and dressing to the table, and failed to have prepared separate bills which we asked for when we placed the order.
Regretfully, the prices are way overpriced for the food, service and culinary taste