“Family Fun on the River.”
Review of Sequoia Lodge

Sequoia Lodge
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Kernville
Bakersfield, California
“Family Fun on the River.”
Reviewed 15 June 2013

Greatest of times; family groups were using the BBQ grills; friendly fishermen willing to share fishing tips and the host and hostest were the best....advice; info on dining locally......try the chatterbox; fishing was great and out the back door. Also, clean and tidy; well stocked and maintained; can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Plan a trip with friends and share cooking and dining on the patios.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Bakersfield, California
Reviewed 6 May 2013

This is the perfect getaway lodge in a prime location! The atmosphere was majestic and peaceful. The lodge is very easy to locate and just a stone's throw away from the Kern River. We were there for a friend's wedding nearby and could not have picked a better place to stay. The staff is very friendly and they made sure our room was accessible as we were checking in late. The room was the best part with very comfortable beds and quaint furnishings. I will definitely be returning soon!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Andrew L
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed 30 April 2013

My friends and I stayed at the Sequoia Lodge on a Friday in late March/2013 which was a beautiful time to visit Kernville. The weather was gorgeous...sunny and mild during the day. The evening was nice and cool, perfect with a sweater/sweatshirt. The Lodge is in a great location right on the Kern River and surrounded by beautiful mountains! The views are spectacular! The river can easily be accessed via some stairs. There is also a general convenient store with a small restaurant across the street from the Lodge.

The staff, a young couple (Russell and Christi) were so friendly and accommodating! They offerred suggestions on where we could get some good food and a good beer/drink in the area (definitely check out Kern River Brewing Company for some awesome beer!) and made sure we had what we needed to have a comfortable stay. For my LGBTQ brothers and sisters, we felt very welcome there by the staff!

We stayed in a room with two queen beds. The room was clean and had a charming, rustic decor. The room also had a small, eat-in kitchenette stocked with a microwave and refrigerator, a flat-screen tv with cable and FREE wi-fi. The beds were comfortable.

Overall, I would highly recommend staying at the Sequoia Lodge! I know I will definitely be going back!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank RIWIN
Reviewed 29 April 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the lodge during spring break. We had such a lovely experience. The rooms were clean, cozy and very quiet. The couple that runs the lodge were very friendly and helpful. We will definitely be back for another stay.

1 Thank Puffer0625
Dayton, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 29 April 2013

I drove through Kernville in the middle of a road-trip and it was my favorite place of my whole trip. I only spent one night at this Lodge but I was incredibly happy with my stay and I am thinking about traveling to the area again just so I can stay here for a while.

We called ahead to let them know that we would be arriving late and it was no problem. They turned the lights on in our room and the air conditioning so it would be nice when we arrived in late. This room has a fridge, microwave and small kitchen. I was amazed at the love and care that this rooms clearly get. It feels less like staying in a cookie cutter room and more like staying at a family members house. The room was extremely clean, the toilet paper and towels were folded cute, and they even have silverware and dishes.

There is a beautiful stone path right to a beautiful river great for fishing, as well as a fish smoker and cleaning area. There are great spots to relax and enjoy how beautiful the area is.

Most of all the staff was kind and extremely helpful! A sweet girl gave us lots of tips about the area and was very accommodating to our needs.

I wish every hotel was just like Sequoia Lodge!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Sarah B
Reviewed 27 April 2013

This was our family's fourth annual spring break vacation at the Sequoia Lodge. We've always enjoyed ourselves in the past and were surprised at how many positive changes have taken place since our last visit. First off, the staff was so friendly throughout my lengthy reservation process--they not only shuffled things around to keep the family in rooms right next to each other, but we were also able to negotiate a slightly discounted group rate.
In my opinion, the property and rooms have never looked better. It's obvious that a lot of work has gone into landscaping and renovations over the last year. The rooms had new flooring, new TVs, and many small delights. Someone had set-up flowers and a welcome card for my parents, whom I had mentioned were celebrating their 46th wedding anniversary when I made our reservations.
Our family stayed in the four rooms closest to the river. We had a fantastic view of water and wildflowers. There is also a patio/deck area with a BBQ that we grilled that on and had a big family dinner around the outdoor table.
We love that you can fish on the back of the property. My daughter's even caught and we were able to clean our fish in their fish shed and grill them that evening.

Overall we enjoyed our stay and will be back next year!

Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 26 April 2013 via mobile

We stay at the Sequoia Lodge a few times per year for the past 8 years, it is a wonderful place. This last trip is the first time our room was not clean. The plates were put back in the cupboard dirty (one had what appeared to be a plateful of dried meat juice on it) there were old cheese puffs, other crumbs a lot of dust and a used paper towel under the bed ( none of this ours) and the provided lotion tube had been used ( again not by us). The new managers are very nice but I'm hoping this is not a sign of things to come.

1 Thank Cupcake2807
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kernville
River View Lodge
#1 of 1 in Wofford Heights
Piazza's Pine Cone Inn
Piazza's Pine Cone Inn
#1 of 8 in Kernville

Been to Sequoia Lodge? Share your experiences!