“Best lodging in Kernville!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Kern Lodge

The Kern Lodge
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Kernville
Los Angeles, California
“Best lodging in Kernville!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

My family and I travel to Kernville several times a year. I think we've stayed at almost every place available. A year or so ago, we decided to stop shopping around and stay at the Kern Lodge every visit, because it's really the best. The rooms are well appointed and clean. Patrick and his staff are welcoming and very kind. Our last trip we stayed in the "Big House"...not only is the Kern Lodge the best place to stay in Kernville, but the Big House is the best room in Kernville. It's really a small house. It's nicely decorated and really a home away from home. Can't wait to go back! I'll upload pictures soon!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank bagels98

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Brea, ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2011

Me and my daughter drove into Kernville late at night and could not find an open motel until we stumbled into this gem. From the very friendly owner/staff to the unexpected nice accomodations, we had an awesome stay. Upon check in we picked out 3 DVD's from their library at the front desk which were free. Then we checked into our room which ended up being a house with all of the best features: granite counters, wood and granite floors, a spa shower, lcd tv's in every room (including a 60 inch LCD tv in the living room), comfortable beds, and Wolfgang Puck coffee. The motel is in the middle of town and close to the Kern river so you can walk down to town to eat or over to the river. There is a patio at the place with huge checker and chess boards where the player pieces are approx. 1-2' that is fun and very unique. Plus it had a real nice barbeque area. The cost was very reasonable. I like to travel and have stayed all over California, but I place this fine establishment at the top of my list. I have told all my friends about this place and plan to return soon! Thank you Kern Lodge.

Room Tip: This motel has numerous size units for different size travelers.
1 Thank Matt B
Kalispell, Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2011

I'd stayed in Kernville a few years back and was unimpressed with the motel I'd booked online, so I was cautious, to say the least, when we booked our room at a new location, The Kern Lodge this time around. Our stay at the Kern Lodge was superb!! We went during a slower time of year, and the attention we got from the owner was unexpected and spectacular. The rooms (we stayed in 2 different styles of room) were very clean, spacious, decorated very nicely and we were thrilled. The next morning I sat and drank coffee in a rocking chair out our door then explored the grounds. The pool area was clean, I found super fun life sized chess and checkers boards (we have 2 boys!) that were a big hit, but when I found the BBQ pit area I was dumbfounded! It was grassy, with sitting areas and 2 propane stainless bbq's. I was just so shocked at this wonderful little hideaway and so thankful that we'd found it. The Kern Lodge is a MUST stay in Kernville. We are a family of limited funds. The Kern Lodge was easily within our means. Next time we go visit family in Lake Isabella, we'll be dialing Sue directly to book our stay.

Room Tip: Just call Sue and ask her what would be best for your family.
1 Thank Kim W
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2011

A very good place to stay to explore Kern Valley, Sequoia Ntl. Parc and Lake Isabella. Spacious cabin style rooms for a reasonable price. Friendly service.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank JeffHager
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2011

Four friends went to Kernville for a mountain bike trip. The room was perfect, complete with full kitchen, seperate beds and a chillout area out back. The place is a short walking distance to almost everything. There's a market or two and the brewery just up the hill; the main part of town is a couple of blocks the other way.

We didn't require much attention, but we got the feeling that if there was any issue, they would have resolved it immediately.

We had a neighbor on our last night who has been coming up to the area for about 20 years and always stays here...that's saying something.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dave M
Barstow, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

My wife and I and my son and his family stayed in two rooms at the Kern Lodge on September 16th and 17th. Having stayed in Kernville on three previous occasions we were not expecting much. We were very surprised to see when we pulled up how nicely the property is maintained. Check in was simple and fast and done by a very courteous desk clerk. All of the staff members from housekeeping to owners are very nice and definitely more helpful than most of the places that we have stayed including so called high end motels such as Ramada, Rennasaince, Marriot, etc.

Our rooms although a little small were exceptionally clean and we are fanatics about cleanliness. The showers again were small especially for my 350lb 6' 4" son. But they were clean and fullfilled their purpose. The bed was very comfortable and the room's decor was knotty pine wood instead of paint. The rooms were very attractive and provided all the normal ammentities. One especially nice feature to us was the fact that although the owner's have a dog that likes to mooch meals, no guest dogs are allowed and that of course means that you don't have to sleep in a bed that a previous tenant's dog has slept in! I know that YOUR dog is as clean as a bar of soap and that you love him very much, but not all of us share your adoration of your dog and some of us don't think that your dog is clean.

The housekeeping ladies were all very attentive to our needs. They all had smiles and went out of their way to get us anything we needed AND they all speak English! Which reminds me, there is a very nice bbq area with tables and swinging chairs and fire pits. The staff has gone out of their way to make it nice. On our stay, some guests the night before left it like a pig stye. I got up early to fix breakfast and because it was so early, the staff had not been able to clean it yet so I did. But folks, please remember, just because they offer housekeeping, that does not mean that you should go out of your way to leave a mess. Do the next guy a favor and clean up after yourself. And BTW: a tip for the maid is a nice touch.

The swimming pool was very nice and very clean. My family enjoyed it a lot. This entire motel really stands out from the others we have stayed at in Kernville.

If there were any cons to this place I would have to say that although the MicroBrewery next door is a nice place, the outside patrons can get a little loud on weekends. The bathrooms are a little small for big guys, and the walls are very thin so loud guests in the next room will be heard. But, these are really very petty beefs for everything else being so nice a this hotel. And remember, I was at a Harley rally and this is a river and fishing community so don't expect the Ritz, expect what the lodge is expected to be, a nice, clean, friendly staff, with clean rooms, clean pool, and nice bbq area and you will find that this place really exceeds all your expectations. I will definitely be going back next year!

Nick
nick@nickscomputerworks.com

Room Tip: Tell the staff at reservation time what your needs are i.e. quickest access to bbq, quieter side of...
1 Thank ncbenson
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2011

This was a great little hotel that we spent two nights at. The rooms are quaint, comfortable, and clean. Beware that at least for room #105 the kitchenette does not mean it has a stovetop. There was just a minifridge, microwave, and extra sink. Still it was better than not having it. Also the hotel is next door to the awesome Kern River Brewing Company which is the perfect place to relax after a day of rafting.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sukhoi_584th
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kernville
Sequoia Lodge
#1 of 8 in Kernville
Whispering Pines Lodge
Whispering Pines Lodge
#2 of 3 in Kernville

Been to The Kern Lodge? Share your experiences!