“Can't Thank These Guys Enough” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Kern Lodge

The Kern Lodge
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Kernville
Brentwood
“Can't Thank These Guys Enough”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

We talked to Patrick about bringing 25 motorcyclists to his lodge for the night. He made all arrangements for us with the individuals in an expedient fashion. All rooms were neat and clean as could be along with the grounds. Very quaint place that reminds me of the smaller mom and pop motels when I was a kid. Much better than the chains. I had a 2 bedroom suite with kitchen and huge fireplace. I will go back and stay again. Thanks again Patrick.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank iraywest
KernLodgeSue, Owner at The Kern Lodge, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
I'm glad that you had a good time at the Lodge and that all the other motorcyclists did also. We enjoyed having you!! Patrick works very hard to make sure the groups are taken care of, so I appreciate your input that he is doing a great job!! The whole town of Kernville hopes that you will return again in the future, as you helped several businesses with your stay! Sue Wiruth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Lancaster, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

We have stayed at Kern Lodge many times and love the small town hospitality that it offers. It is very clean and comfortable and they are always very helpful. We love the location in Kernville, because you can walk to almost every part of the town, including restaurants and the local market. It was a very relaxing weekend and the whole family enjoyed it!!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
KernLodgeSue, Owner at The Kern Lodge, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
Pam,
First of all, Thank you for coming back and staying at the Lodge. I want everyone to have a great time while staying here and to resolve any issues that a guest might have with the rooms or any service from my crew. I noticed that you seemed to have a problem with the service. May I ask what the issue was so I can fix it for next time? You can call the Lodge or email us at info@thekernlodge.com -- I will answer your email personally. Hope to see you again in the near future.
Sue Wiruth
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

We just spent the week end at Kern Lodge with another family (two nights).

Today, I logged into my bank account only to notice an additional unauthorized charge from Kern Lodge for $110. Wow, that must be an error I am thinking, so I call and this is when it became really unpleasant (and odd).

So let me back-track a bit.

We checked in at around 9pm on Friday night. Despite the fact I had specifically requested a quiet room, we were assigned to a room adjacent to a noisy restaurant patio (#204). I kindly mentioned that this wasn't going to work for us because, after all, we had asked for a quiet room and were here to sleep.

The young blond front desk lady that checked us in already (and surprisingly) sounded annoyed and overwhelmed by such request. She called her manager and quickly offered us an upgrade to a larger room for only $10/night which we gladly accepted (#304).

The room was huge but not properly cleaned and smelled; it had obviously not been rented in a while. The floors were very dusty and walking barefoot caused us to have black soles. But we didn’t mind nor mentioned it, since it was an upgrade after all.

The next day, nobody came to make the beds and clean our room. I inquired around 12pm and was told that they were understaffed but would come later, but none ever came. A bit strange, I thought, but oh well, it wasn't a huge deal since it was a short stay. (By the way, they never came to clean our friend's room either: Maid service optional?)

During our stay, our son, who is only two-year old, had an accident while sleeping in one of the beds, but we didn't feel the need to mention it because, after all, sheets would be cleaned at high-temp and this wasn't serious.
Well, sounds like it was: when I called to inquire about the $110 charge, the same young blonde lady rudely told me that one of our kid made a 'huge mess' and we hadn’t let them know and that we were so incredibly rude and complaining about everything (!!?) therefore they charged us for incidentals. OMG! I still cannot believe it. This has never happened to me and I am well-travelled. Can't a child have an accident but moreover, can't a decent washing machine with laundry detergent clean sheets? A new pair of their cheap white sheets wouldn’t even cost $40!

I am disputing the charge and I am left with sharing (venting) my story on social networks. But hey, it's at least that’s something!

I sincerely wish good luck to families that plan on coming to Kern Lodge with their children. Word of advice: Don’t stay there!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Fratacci
KernLodgeSue, Owner at The Kern Lodge, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
To Future Guests: I have always believed that the Guest is always right. However there are certain circumstances where the guest is not right. This is one of those cases.

There is a complete other side to this reviewer. First of all, the guest complained about room 204 so we upgraded for a nominal fee of $10 per night (part of the additional $110 she is talking about and said she knew nothing about) and the room was a $300 per night room that was freshly cleaned for them. My first introduction to the family was to find their two kids kicking my locked chemical room door at the pool -- I yelled at the kids to stop and the parents glanced over and told the kids not to do that... No apology to me even though the kids had kicked the door off the track. Easy repair, but still... Concerning the Maid Service: My maid, Rose, told me that she had gone to their room to do the make up at noon and was told that the woman's son was sleeping and to come back after 1. Rose showed up at 1:30 and the woman said her son was still sleeping and to come back later. Rose explained that she was her last room before leaving for the day. The woman snipped back that she didn't need anything then. Rose left. Rose also informed me that 113, their friends, had a DND on their door. (We keep a track of Maid Service on each room and all the Do Not Disturbs on a sheet for situations just like these. All of the above information about room 302 and 113 were well documented before Rose left for the day.) Then I got a call early in the evening from another guest that said there were two kids kicking the oversized chess and checker pieces all over the lower property. I was with another guest at the time, so I was unable to go down immediately, but I brought it up on the video monitor later and sure enough, it was the same two kids who had kicked my chemical room door off the tracks. I was pretty upset but decided to let the incident go and to just put the guest on the do not allow list. But then we went to their room at check out. On the floor in the living room was a pile of two sheets and one blanket. There was feces smeared all over them. This was not an accident. These sheets and blanket (which are from American Hotel Luxury Collection) were used to wipe up a major fecal mess and there was no warning from the guest to my maid, who incidentally just went to the pile and scooped them up to her arms to carry to the cart when she realized that she was holding fecal matter against herself. I did not clean the sheets and blanket because they were so very soiled, but rather threw them away. I would not want to sleep on sheets soiled this way, nor would I want a guest to sleep on them. No matter how hot the wash water is!

I try very hard to please all my guests, but sometimes there are certain people that you cannot please and who let their kids run wild and damage other peoples property. I put the reviewer and her family into this category. Sue Wiruth, Owner
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

Came with four tween-teen girls for Labor Day weekend and could not have asked for more. Great service and Room 401 is actually a 2br house with a full kitchen, 2 full baths and its own gas grill. Pool is well-maintained and loved that the lodge is walking distance to the market, restaurants, river etc. Highly recommended!

4 Thank Robyn C
KernLodgeSue, Owner at The Kern Lodge, responded to this review, 15 September 2013
Thank you Robyn for your review of the Kern Lodge. I remember seeing your girls having a great time. It is the reason why I enjoy owing the place when I see my guests enjoying the property and exploring Kernville. Hope to see you again sometime in the future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

This hotel was outstanding - customer service was brilliant, they could not do enough for you e.g. Keeping the wonderful pool open late, providing us with a bottle opener etc.

Pool was great, rooms were huge and our only tiny complaint was that the tv's were incredibly difficult to work.

Beautiful place, lovely people and highly highly recommended.

3 Thank Travelgeek77
Thank you for your review. I am aware of the TV situation and I am trying to resolve it. Ever since the change over from analog to digital -- I have had to put in boxes to make my old TV's work. I am changing out the TV's as funds provide! I hope to see you again in the future and I will be putting in better instructions about the tvs in the room until then. Sue
Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

Late night arrival in Kernville with nowhere to stay. Ate at the wonderful Kern River Brewing Company. Noticed this "Lodge" next door had the vacancy sign lit so my lady went to inquire. Took some time but finally got an answer from a very rude night manager who yelled at her to "...read the damn sign we are full". Obviously the hotel may have been full but this is one person who has no concept of customer service. So, no, we didn't stay here but bad service should be warned about. Next time in area we won't even bother asking.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Roger61Texas
Roger,
I am so sorry that you had an unpleasant experience at the Kern Lodge. The night you came, I was not on the property or I would have greeting you the way I try to greet all my guests, which is with courtesy and patience-- whether I am booked or not. The employee that was covering me was spoken to concerning this issue and assured me that it would not happen again. Please give the Lodge another try. I assure you the management does care and asks that you give us another try. Sue
Bakersfield, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

As lodges go the Kern Lodge is relatively nice. Rooms are clean and spacious. In fact I would consider staying there again if they have new management. I've never been treated as poorly as I was at this establishment.

The manager is arrogant, condescending and an all around jerk. We complained about the front door not locking and received a laugh and were told that we were wrong (had to leave a suitcase in front of the door so at least we'd hear someone tripping over it). On the last day out room was given to another customer before we even checked out . Again out concerns were met with an annoying laugh. There are enough nice people in the Kern Valley, no need to spend your hard earned money on someone who doesn't know the first thing about customer service.

2 Thank michael c
Michael,
I am sorry that you had an unpleasant experience during your stay. I was not on the property during your stay, or I would have made sure to take care of your door issue personally. I take pride in my place and I especially take pride in the fact that my guests enjoy themselves while staying at the Lodge. The employee you are referring to was spoken to and assured me that it would not happen again. I am on the property 99% of the time, I am sorry that you came during the one percent when I was gone. This isolated incident is not the norm for the management, so I ask you to please come back and give the Lodge another try. Sue
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kernville
Sequoia Lodge
#1 of 8 in Kernville
No photo provided
Kern Riverfront Lodge
#5 of 8 in Kernville

Been to The Kern Lodge? Share your experiences!