“9th Year in a Row Staying at the Kern Lodge”
Review of The Kern Lodge

The Kern Lodge
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Kernville
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Once a year my motorcycle group does a Memorial ride for a friend that past away. We always stay at the Kern Lodge and have had nothing but great experiences there. After our big ride on Saturday, we go the the picnic area they have, light a fire in the pit, and cook up a delicious meal on the two professional grade gas BBQ's they have. This year we had the BBQ for 31 people without a problem. The rooms are alway clean and well supplied, and the beds super comfy. The management does everything possible to make your stay great.

Room Tip: The Bungalow rooms are quaint and charming, but the suites are spectacular.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Peter L
KernLodgeSue, Owner at The Kern Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Thank you for coming back year after year! I look forward to having you guys stay here. See you next time -- Sue

Reviewed 5 October 2013

Sue went above and beyond in returning the luggage that I left behind. I woke her up, but she was very accommodating, and had it FedEx'd to me. The lodge was great - rooms clean and neat. I was in a group of about 25 bikers, and we all got in and settled in record time. Amazing! Thanks again, and sorry I woke you up.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Thanks for the great review! I'm also glad that you got your luggage back in a timely manner. I hope that you come back again in the future -- and you can wake me up anytime. That's why it's called Hospitality... Sue

Reviewed 30 September 2013

We talked to Patrick about bringing 25 motorcyclists to his lodge for the night. He made all arrangements for us with the individuals in an expedient fashion. All rooms were neat and clean as could be along with the grounds. Very quaint place that reminds me of the smaller mom and pop motels when I was a kid. Much better than the chains. I had a 2 bedroom suite with kitchen and huge fireplace. I will go back and stay again. Thanks again Patrick.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank iraywest
KernLodgeSue, Owner at The Kern Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2013

I'm glad that you had a good time at the Lodge and that all the other motorcyclists did also. We enjoyed having you!! Patrick works very hard to make sure the groups are taken care of, so I appreciate your input that he is doing a great job!! The whole town of Kernville hopes that you will return again in the future, as you helped several businesses with your stay! Sue Wiruth

Reviewed 28 September 2013

We have stayed at Kern Lodge many times and love the small town hospitality that it offers. It is very clean and comfortable and they are always very helpful. We love the location in Kernville, because you can walk to almost every part of the town, including restaurants and the local market. It was a very relaxing weekend and the whole family enjoyed it!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Pam,
First of all, Thank you for coming back and staying at the Lodge. I want everyone to have a great time while staying here and to resolve any issues that a guest might have with the rooms or any service from my crew. I noticed that you seemed to have a problem with the service. May I ask what the issue was so I can fix it for next time? You can call the Lodge or email us at info@thekernlodge.com -- I will answer your email personally. Hope to see you again in the near future.
Sue Wiruth

Reviewed 23 September 2013

We just spent the week end at Kern Lodge with another family (two nights).

Today, I logged into my bank account only to notice an additional unauthorized charge from Kern Lodge for $110. Wow, that must be an error I am thinking, so I call and this is when it became really unpleasant (and odd).

So let me back-track a bit.

We checked in at around 9pm on Friday night. Despite the fact I had specifically requested a quiet room, we were assigned to a room adjacent to a noisy restaurant patio (#204). I kindly mentioned that this wasn't going to work for us because, after all, we had asked for a quiet room and were here to sleep.

The young blond front desk lady that checked us in already (and surprisingly) sounded annoyed and overwhelmed by such request. She called her manager and quickly offered us an upgrade to a larger room for only $10/night which we gladly accepted (#304).

The room was huge but not properly cleaned and smelled; it had obviously not been rented in a while. The floors were very dusty and walking barefoot caused us to have black soles. But we didn’t mind nor mentioned it, since it was an upgrade after all.

The next day, nobody came to make the beds and clean our room. I inquired around 12pm and was told that they were understaffed but would come later, but none ever came. A bit strange, I thought, but oh well, it wasn't a huge deal since it was a short stay. (By the way, they never came to clean our friend's room either: Maid service optional?)

During our stay, our son, who is only two-year old, had an accident while sleeping in one of the beds, but we didn't feel the need to mention it because, after all, sheets would be cleaned at high-temp and this wasn't serious.
Well, sounds like it was: when I called to inquire about the $110 charge, the same young blonde lady rudely told me that one of our kid made a 'huge mess' and we hadn’t let them know and that we were so incredibly rude and complaining about everything (!!?) therefore they charged us for incidentals. OMG! I still cannot believe it. This has never happened to me and I am well-travelled. Can't a child have an accident but moreover, can't a decent washing machine with laundry detergent clean sheets? A new pair of their cheap white sheets wouldn’t even cost $40!

I am disputing the charge and I am left with sharing (venting) my story on social networks. But hey, it's at least that’s something!

I sincerely wish good luck to families that plan on coming to Kern Lodge with their children. Word of advice: Don’t stay there!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Fratacci
KernLodgeSue, Owner at The Kern Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

To Future Guests: I have always believed that the Guest is always right. However there are certain circumstances where the guest is not right. This is one of those cases.

There is a complete other side to this reviewer. First of all, the guest complained about room 204 so we upgraded for a nominal fee of $10 per night (part of the additional $110 she is talking about and said she knew nothing about) and the room was a $300 per night room that was freshly cleaned for them. My first introduction to the family was to find their two kids kicking my locked chemical room door at the pool -- I yelled at the kids to stop and the parents glanced over and told the kids not to do that... No apology to me even though the kids had kicked the door off the track. Easy repair, but still... Concerning the Maid Service: My maid, Rose, told me that she had gone to their room to do the make up at noon and was told that the woman's son was sleeping and to come back after 1. Rose showed up at 1:30 and the woman said her son was still sleeping and to come back later. Rose explained that she was her last room before leaving for the day. The woman snipped back that she didn't need anything then. Rose left. Rose also informed me that 113, their friends, had a DND on their door. (We keep a track of Maid Service on each room and all the Do Not Disturbs on a sheet for situations just like these. All of the above information about room 302 and 113 were well documented before Rose left for the day.) Then I got a call early in the evening from another guest that said there were two kids kicking the oversized chess and checker pieces all over the lower property. I was with another guest at the time, so I was unable to go down immediately, but I brought it up on the video monitor later and sure enough, it was the same two kids who had kicked my chemical room door off the tracks. I was pretty upset but decided to let the incident go and to just put the guest on the do not allow list. But then we went to their room at check out. On the floor in the living room was a pile of two sheets and one blanket. There was feces smeared all over them. This was not an accident. These sheets and blanket (which are from American Hotel Luxury Collection) were used to wipe up a major fecal mess and there was no warning from the guest to my maid, who incidentally just went to the pile and scooped them up to her arms to carry to the cart when she realized that she was holding fecal matter against herself. I did not clean the sheets and blanket because they were so very soiled, but rather threw them away. I would not want to sleep on sheets soiled this way, nor would I want a guest to sleep on them. No matter how hot the wash water is!

I try very hard to please all my guests, but sometimes there are certain people that you cannot please and who let their kids run wild and damage other peoples property. I put the reviewer and her family into this category. Sue Wiruth, Owner

Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

Came with four tween-teen girls for Labor Day weekend and could not have asked for more. Great service and Room 401 is actually a 2br house with a full kitchen, 2 full baths and its own gas grill. Pool is well-maintained and loved that the lodge is walking distance to the market, restaurants, river etc. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank Robyn C
KernLodgeSue, Owner at The Kern Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2013

Thank you Robyn for your review of the Kern Lodge. I remember seeing your girls having a great time. It is the reason why I enjoy owing the place when I see my guests enjoying the property and exploring Kernville. Hope to see you again sometime in the future.

Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

This hotel was outstanding - customer service was brilliant, they could not do enough for you e.g. Keeping the wonderful pool open late, providing us with a bottle opener etc.

Pool was great, rooms were huge and our only tiny complaint was that the tv's were incredibly difficult to work.

Beautiful place, lovely people and highly highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank Travelgeek77

Thank you for your review. I am aware of the TV situation and I am trying to resolve it. Ever since the change over from analog to digital -- I have had to put in boxes to make my old TV's work. I am changing out the TV's as funds provide! I hope to see you again in the future and I will be putting in better instructions about the tvs in the room until then. Sue

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kernville
Sequoia Lodge
#1 of 1 in Wofford Heights
Kern Riverfront Lodge
Kern Riverfront Lodge
#9 of 9 in Kernville

Been to The Kern Lodge? Share your experiences!