“A bit of a dump”

Ocean Walk Inn
Ocean Walk Inn
Ranked #156 of 237 Sihanoukville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 July 2013

The first room we stayed in was really dingy, only one small light worked. There was only one towel, I asked for another and was given one with holes and stains, frankly it looked like the sort of thing I would dry my dog with.
We came back from bars at around 10pm and found bugs crawling on sheets and underneath. The manageress found us another room (we would have left but it was late and we had prepaid) and helped us move our things. The other room was larger but was very dusty. The sheets had holes in too. The bed was also a bit broken.
For the same price we have stayed in much cleaner and nicer rooms in Cambodia.
It really wouldn't be too bad if they gave the place a good clean and some new sheets and towels.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 July 2013

We had a fan only room and coped pretty well without A/C so don't always assume you need A/C. A few niggles though really, yes we had a fridge, but it had an English plug on it, luckily we had adapters so could plug it in ourselves. The door to the bathroom basically wasn't held on, had to very carefully open and close it to not let it fall off the only hinge holding it up. Large hole in the bathroom ceiling, and the bathroom didn't appear overly clean.

Staff were nice enough though, breakfast was not bad, a bit pricey but you did get free coffee with its which we didn't know to start with. Overall it's not a bad place to stay for the price, that is if you can handle being there - we personally found the whole area to be pretty run down and crappy place, which was a shame as that's not what we were expecting.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Stayed with a 5 year old child. Large rooms, but not enough light sometimes (because of energy saving bulbs). Electricity almost all the time - big plus in Sihanoukville. Fair price. Sometimes noisy early morning because of slamming doors of other rooms (but this depends on inhabitants really, some people just do not care of others sleeping). Working aircond and fan. Normal bathroom in the room. Bugs... Saw a few during three weeks of stay, but it's Cambodia! Very good morning coffee for only 3000 riel. Very nice people at reception, made us happy. Very good place for guest house - everything is near. Sea view from shared balcony. Free parking (we had a car for rent). No additional/hidden charges. We did not want to leave, but we had to. )

Room Tip: Choose a room with no balcony view window or you get much noise from outside.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 April 2013

Of all the places for accomodation in Sihanoukville, Ocean Walk Inn is the BEST. Matt the owner is a great guy and is super helpful if you are on a visa run. The place is super safe as they lock it up for the night and a night watchman is available to let you in at any hour. So feel safe staying there, also they do have a safe which you can lock anything up in, when I first moved to Sihanoukville they let me keep a pretty large amount in there and my lap top when I'd do small travels and never felt so safe leaving it there.
As for the food, its great.... If you visit Sihanoukville for sure you will get a hangover, its unavoidable, but the english breakfast (and I'm American) is off the wall and will cure you instantly. The beer, while priced I bit higher than other bars is always cold and the vibe is nice, never have to worry about "bar girls" bothering you, its just a nice place to chill

Great place, and if you go, say hi to Matt for me!

Room Tip: make sure not to get the rooms over looking the bar area, as if there is an early soccer game on you...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Stayed in the 'deluxe room' for 3 nights and did not get much sleep at all. People partying every night until 3-4am. The only reason we stayed the whole duration is because we could not find anything suitable after the 1st night. Dont get me wrong, we are not picky at all but after seeing bugs running around in rooms at the nearby hotels, we decided to stick with the Ocean Walk Inn. Be aware that your room is not going to be cleaned or towels changed even if you stay longer. We had to ask for clean towels right after check-in as the ones we had in our room were dirty and smelled horrible. The hotel seems to cater for English people only (we are not) so we thought we were being ignored if we had a query.
We left our bags there for the day after check-out and were told we could use their shower when we return in the evening which was great. Unfortunately when we asked for towels when we got back from the beach, their answer was: all wet, drying out, wait 15min. Did not have that much time left as we had to catch our bus to Siem Reap so took a shower and used our clothes instead.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
OceanWalkInn, Owner at Ocean Walk Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2013

Dear Sir,
I do haft to say I feel your review is a little unfair, let me quote you...

“The only reason we stayed the whole duration is because we could not find anything suitable after the 1st night. Dont get me wrong, we are not picky at all but after seeing bugs running around in rooms at the nearby hotels, we decided to stick with the Ocean Walk Inn”

I do haft to ask the question why give us such a low score, if in your own words you are admitting we were the best hotel for the money in the area, seems a little unfair to me.

As for the room cleaning, we do clean rooms, at check-in you was asked to leave the key with us when you wanted the room cleaning, which you never did, hence why the room wasn’t cleaned, we are happy to clean rooms on a daily basis if required.

You also state you left the bags here, and we offered you the use of showers in the evening, before you got on the night bus. The reason we didn’t have any towels available at that exact time was because the hotel was full and they had just been washed, as you say we did offer you them in 15 minutes as that’s how long it would take to tumble dry for you, we did try to help you, and again I feel this was an unfair comment.

I do haft to ask why you never raised any of these points with me at the time, then we could have corrected the situation, but we thank you for your feedback and hope you enjoyed your time in Sihanoukville.

Regards

Matthew
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 26 February 2013

Its nice to get a comfy bed when you stay in a hotel and this was one and to top it all the food was Excellent, the staff are fantastic they look after you like your one of the family, thanks every one form making my stay such a good one.
I will come back to stay here every time, great place, Lee

Room Tip: Rooms at the top
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 February 2013 via mobile

After hunting round in the high season for somewhere to stay I finally found this place and payed 15 dollars for a room just behind the bar we ended up staying for 4 nights ( me and my girlfriend) ill be honest it's nothing amazing but it does the job. Good beer, nice staff, the food was soooo tasty remember after the second day as soon as we sat down they has our pinnaple juice ready as we had that with breakfast everyday. We ate here everyday for breakfast and sometimes to snack which is very unlike us but we really enjoyed the food and service. Decent fan comfy beds and the shower wasn't bad at all(shared). If your looking for perfection just don't stay here or anywhere in shv to be honest but don't steer clear of this place.

• Stayed: February 2013