“A tent stay on the beach”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sihanoukville
Castaways Beach Bar & Bungalows
Ranked #84 of 228 Sihanoukville B&B and Inns
uk
“A tent stay on the beach”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for one night. I was charged $5 for a tent, which I felt was a bit steep considering there were dorms further along for $6.

There aren't any showers, only big bowls of water, but it was fine for one night.
The menu is more expensive than the other restaurants and I ate in Footprints further along which was nice.

The staff were very friendly and lovely and I made use of the phone charging in the reception area.

Otres 2 is lovely, much more quiet and a night sleeping in a tent on my own was actually quite nice

• Stayed February 2014
OukSreyka, Owner at Castaways Beach Bar & Bungalows, responded to this review, 9 October 2014
yes, there's a big bowl of water in the same room as the shower,but you should have asked and someone would have shown you the blue pipe with the faucet and shower head on the outside wall.

We're glad you had a nice stay at Castaways though. Thank you for your review.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Winnipeg, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

If you don't want to get robbed, then don't come to this place. Staff are thief's. Had my phone stolen right out of the bungalow when going for supper. Only people that knew we were going, and about the window that could not be locked properly, were the staff sitting ominously beside our place all night. When I reported it, the manager would not even look me in the eye, and said I probably lost it somewhere. Ohh and he also charged us $15 for a towel that was lost......

Room Tip: Just dont come here
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
You are accusing me and my family (who are my staff) of theft, but we are honest people and would never steal from a guess. I remember that you forgot your bags on the tuktuk that brought you here, and you forgot the towel (two, actually) on the island trip you booked. At the time you claim your phone was stolen (if not already lost with your forgotten bags), I remember this occasion, you were talking with my brother-in-law outside the bungalow, and I do not remember you going for dinner.

Guests leave us valuables for safekeeping all the time, and anything found or left around the grounds is safely kept and our guests' property respected.

We are sorry you had a bad time forgetting things on your trip. Blaming us is uncalled for.
Hanoi, Vietnam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

I booked a room at Castaways after reading about it here on TA - and to get away from all the tourists and noise for a couple of days.

Couldn't have been better. A driver picked me up from the bus station and I got a basic but comfortable upstairs room with mattress, fan and locker. Shared shower and toilet outside (no hot water). The bungalows were full. Even though I was really craving for some 'alone time', I enjoyed the atmosphere at Castaways. Ox and his family are really nice and make you feel at home immediately. So does the rest of the staff. In the evening they sometimes organize a BBQ for everybody or people just sit together at a bonfire. Food is a bit expensive though, but good.

It's about 15 minutes (by Tuk Tuk or motorbike) away from the crowded beaches close to Sihanoukville center. Nevertheless there are a couple of other guesthouses around, thus there are more people at the beach than I expected, but it's still ok ... a perfect place to relax for some days.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank fhsch
Thank you for your kind review. Please come visit Castaways again someday.
Boulder, CO
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

I called Mr. Ox two days before we came down to Otres from Phnom Penh. He said he had two rooms available and would reserve them for us. But when we arrived he did not have the rooms. He is very disorganized with lots of books that he writes things in. He seems to be a bit confused most of the time. I would suggest not trusting a phone reservation; just show up and see if they have room.

We looked at a room in case we wanted to stay at a later date but we chose to find other accommodations. The whole place is a bit ramshackle. And the location is sandwiched in between two other guesthouses. I would give it a pass and look for something else on Otres.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BopperX
Malmo, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

Lying at the far end of Otres Beach, they couldn't have picked a better spot to build their simple bungalows. The sunsets are amazing and the water is fantastic. Unfortunately they didn't put much effort into the construction of their buildings nor the maintenance of their property. The family who own and run the place are decent and the food was good. But, really, there's nothing special about this place other than the beach itself.

Room Tip: Don't bother getting an "ensuite" bungalow unless there aren't any others availabl...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank hpmatts
It's no accident we couldn't have picked a better spot. Castaways was the first resort in this area of Otres, long before any other, so it's natural we would have picked the very best spot.

thank you for your review. Please come and visit us again. We have built some newer bungalows by the way; but still rustic and authentic like our original ones.
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

Had booked 5 days, extended to 7 for as long as possible to cach my flight home, and seriously considered to buy a new flight ticket to not having to leave.

Got a Bungalow 3 meters from the sea, spent the week mostly in a hammock, got the best home coocked Cambodian food and meeting the extremely friendly owner Ox and his family.

I'm doing a lot of travelling in my work around the world, mostly staying at 5 star hotels. Castaways is on top my list to stay.

Life really felt better at Castaways and can't wait to get back.

Thanks Ox.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
We're glad you enjoyed your stay here. We look forward to your next chance to visit, and long-term guests are always welcome.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

My wife and I stayed at Castaways for five nights, and wish we'd stayed longer. We loved it. First, about the actual bungalows. They're basic, very basic. You get a bed, some mosquito netting, and a very basic toilet, sink, and shower. It's "rustic" to say the least, but it's clean, it's right on the beach, and it works for this place. Mr. Ox and family will welcome you and make you feel at home. The food is excellent, and the family will have a BBQ every few nights for the guests. The beach is quiet, clean and beautiful, and Otres 2 is well removed from the mayhem of Serendipity beach. And you'll spend more on beers in the afternoon than you will on the price of the bungalow. You will be awakened by roosters, geese, cattle, and Mr. Ox's kids, but you'll feel like you're just one of the locals, far away both mentally and physically from whatever you're trying to escape... We will be back someday.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MuggsyMurphy
We thank you for the great review, and are looking forward to seeing you come again someday.