“My favorite restaurant”
Review of The Small Hotel

The Small Hotel
Ranked #10 of 236 Sihanoukville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I can't find The Small hotel restaurant at Independance Beach listed but it is really worth mentioning so here it is. I have been there several times. The food is so good I go there especially. You can sit right there at the beach and eat while enjoying the view. I just love the Spinach and Egg soup and everything else i have tried so far. Great service, friendly efficient staff,go there, you will love it. I have not stayed at the hotel in town but hear it is excellent.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for The Small Hotel

Reviewed 27 October 2013

After a month of budget traveling, my sister and I were so happy for our tranquil break at the small hotel! SUPER nice staff, good food, clean rooms with soft beds, fluffy towels and hot water, good common area with tons of books and DVDs and free rides to the beach. All for less than $20 a night. We loved it!

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 17 October 2013

stay at the hotel in town, but because there isn't a TA review site for their restaurant / bar at Independence Beach I'm putting it here.
It's certainly worth a mention.
We took a tuk tuk ( $2) many times over our 8 day stay in Sihanoukville to dine/ swim/ relax at this wonderful spot.

Independence Beach is lovely and clean and the reclining chairs and dining tables are right at the waters edge in the shade....if you wish.
If you don't go during the day, it's still worth it for a sundowner.

The food is lovely, large serves and very reasonable.
We weren't aware of the Hotel but would certainly look at staying there next visit.
There's also a money exchange office at the beach.
A Few beach vendors but do not pester.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 October 2013

The small hotel is the perfect place to stay in Sihanoukville for the type of traveller who wants to explore everything the town has to offer while staying away from the 20-year-old sleaze that may be inhabiting the beach area during your stay. My girlfriend and I planned on staying at Heinrich's establishment downtown for three days, but ended up staying for six. Apart from the outstanding food available at The Small Hotel (I would totally recommend trying the Swedish meatballs or the excellent Khmer selections), they also offer a free tuk tuk service to a (semi) private beach at their beach bar away from the hawkers at Serendipity Beach.

Heinrich's staff will really make you feel at home, especially Rita with whom we enjoyed great conversations about Cambodian life.

I couldn't recommend this place enough.

Room Tip: Eating at The Small Hotel may be more expensive than some places around town, but the food and the a...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sam F
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I booked at The Small Hotel based on reviews on TA and the Lonely Planet. Was looking for somewhere at a good price, location and not a backpacker den. All my enquiries were by email, very quick to respond. Henrik and Mom (Owners) must be proud of their staff's efficiency, helpfulness and friendliness - it makes a holiday so much more enjoyable. My room was always clean every afternoon when I returned and the staff can help with onward travel bookings or suggestions on what to do in Sihanouk Ville. The hotel has their own beach at Independent Beach, but I ran out of time to go there but I wish I did - less crowded and more relaxed than Serendipity. There is a good selection of Western, Swedish and Khmer food on their menu with food/drink available from 7am-10pm. Hotel is located in downtown Sihanouk Ville, far enough away from the hustle of the beach but close enough to leisurely walk down there (20-30mins), or a moto is anywhere from US$0.5-1.50. Would I stay again - definitely would, am already booked in for a night on my return loop from Kampot.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

Just checked out of here around an hour ago. If staying in Sihanoukville then this is the place to be. Rooms good size and extremely clean (cleaned everyday, fresh towels etc), the staff are the nicest we've met since being on our travels. The food is gorgeous we ate at least one meal a day there everyday! Meatballs, Swedish hash and my boyfriend was addicted to the burger and chips!! Khmer food is lovely too! We've had a fantastic stay here and have lots of memories to take away with us. Small hotel is definitely the place to be!

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I were originally booked in for 2 nights but ended up extending to 5 as we liked it here so much!
We arrived at 7 in the morning after an extremely uncomfortable journey on the night bus from Siem Reap, and felt exhausted and filthy! The double room we had booked wasn't going to be ready until after 12 noon and we weren't really up for hanging around for 5 hours, but they said they had a twin room we could have for the first night. We had a look at the twin room and each of the single beds were huge, big enough for 2 people so we decided to take it and we really liked this room and ended up keeping it for the whole stay. The bed was comfy, wifi worked great, as did the aircon and cable tv! And they had a huge stash of books and movies downstairs so we were very happy. It rained a lot whilst we were there so it was nice
to have lots to keep us entertained whilst stuck indoors!
We ate at the hotel one night and the Swedish meatballs were very tasty! We also had cocktails there most nights which were lovely and well presented. The big breakfast is expensive but huge and delicious so we couldn't resist it! It is based away from all the action and beaches, but we hired a scooter and its a 10 minute ride to the nearest beach and to the main backpacker area so it was not a problem for us. It was quite nice being away from the main drag as it was abit tacky around there!
The staff were all absolutely lovely and we felt very welcome at the small hotel!

• Stayed: August 2013