“Decent place”

The Small Hotel
Ranked #12 of 233 Sihanoukville B&B and Inns
“Decent place”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Sihanoukville is probably not my first choice for a place to stay in Cambodia. It's generally catering for the younger back packer with it's huge number of bars etc. Nothing wrong with that, it's just not my thing. Not needing or wanting to be near the beach area, the Small Hotel is a good choice. It's also walking distance to where most of the bus companies drop off and pick up.

If you do want to go to the beach then I recommend taking the free tuk tuk that leaves the hotel at 9am everyday. It goes to the hotel's beach bar at Independence beach which is quite pleasant and not so crowded. It costs about 4$ to take a tuk tuk to the main beach area.

The rooms are pretty decent. The door on our bathroom didn't close but apart from that it was clean and tidy.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Finnish first
  • Thai first
Gothenburg
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We are for here for I don't know which time, but we always come back to this Hotel. Mainly it is because of the staff, who are all so friendly and helpsome, but also for the excellent food. The portions are rather big and and the athmosphere are peaceful with many guests that are talking to each other, even if you don't know them before. This time we stayed at another hotel downtown, but had a number of meals at the Hotel in town or at the Small Beach restaurant on Independece Beach run by Mom and her staff.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Warnbro, Australia
Reviewed 21 December 2013

What can I say that others already havent? But, this is a fantastic Hotel. I cannot not give enough praise to the staff, they really do make the stay fantastic, Chenda (I hope I spelt that correctly) was a stand out for us, showing a genuine interest in our stay. Any way, just read what others have said, great hotel, great beach, great food.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Largo, Florida
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Sihanoukville is not a town I would wish to spend much time in. We had to be there for a night in transit. Since we didn’t need a place for several days on the beach, The Small Hotel fit our needs very well.

It is centrally located in the uncharming business part of town. But that does mean that it is pretty easy access to everything by a short tuk-tuk ride. It is also within easy walking distance of the very good market in town.

The rooms were spacious and clean. The AC was cold and the water was hot. The beds were comfortable. There is a pleasant café in the lobby area, but we didn’t eat there. Unfortunately, breakfast is not included in the very reasonable rate.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We had booked two nights but ended up staying for ten nights. Honestly we couldn't leave this hotel and its staff. We have stayed in lots of guesthouses, hotels, camping etc. etc. and nothing can be compared to this one. It felt much more like a home than a hotel. The owner and the staff were lovely, professional and with a fantastic sense of humour. I think all the rooms had a different layout at least the four rooms we stayed in and they were all spectacular clean and very nice furnished. The food was to die for. The hotel also has its own beach with a restaurant which they have a free tuk tuk that will take you the short way to the beach. I can highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Like many others I am writing here to review the beach cafe. We were staying locally and ate here most days for lunch and dinner. The food was great and so much cheaper and the staff were extremely friendly. I never thought I would sit on the beach eating Swedish meatballs. They were delicious.It was very relaxing sitting in the armchairs just letting the world go by. Well worth a visit.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Sihanoukville, Cambodia
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I can't find The Small hotel restaurant at Independance Beach listed but it is really worth mentioning so here it is. I have been there several times. The food is so good I go there especially. You can sit right there at the beach and eat while enjoying the view. I just love the Spinach and Egg soup and everything else i have tried so far. Great service, friendly efficient staff,go there, you will love it. I have not stayed at the hotel in town but hear it is excellent.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends