“Rude staff”
Review of GBT Guesthouse

GBT Guesthouse
Ranked #174 of 236 Sihanoukville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 September 2013

In low season we paid 5$ for a double room. The place is not extremely dirty but it's not clean, and the mattress was old and stinky. They have rooms around a small garden, where we were, and another rooms, same price, in some kind of dark narrow alley. Of course at first they offer you the creepy rooms in this alley. If you complain, they finally show you the ones in the garden. It's not an amazing place, but just a few steps away from the beach. I guess for 5$ you can not expect a better deal in that touristic area.

The worst for us was the attitude of the staff. In general they don't even look at you when you arrive to the reception and try to ask them something. But today we had a problem with the bus we booked to Koh Kong, but as we didn't booked it in their guesthouse they just laughed when we asked for help, and ignored us. Twice. And we where just asking them to do a phone call...

The restaurant they have is pretty expensive considering what you get for your money, the coffee is one of the worst on earth, (cheese sandwich is probably the best thing they have though) and while you are eating you have less than two meters away from you one or two of the waiters staring at you, completely immobile. So if you like to be observed while you chew expensive-cheap stuff and then have a receptionist that doesn't look at your face while you ask him anything, under any circumstance, then this is your place.

Oh, by the way: if you try to pay your room on a regular moment of the day and he doesn't look at your face 'cause he's mucking around with other staff, don't worry: he will come to ask you for the money the first second you sit to eat your breakfast the next morning.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for GBT Guesthouse

Reviewed 15 September 2013

Budget hotel for the average backpacker. So don't expect much. USD15 for an air-con room.
Good location, just so close to Serendipity beach & the beach night life.

Yes, sometimes staff's service not so good.

But so far they treat me ok, as I go there quite often.

Room Tip: No Fitness Center & Room service.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Eugene G
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Cambodia on a whole is a very cheep place to stay but I found GBT have very good rooms for the price and the beds were more than big enough, couldn't be much closer to the beach and the night life, only downside is the staff. They tried to be a 5 star hotel which it clearly wasn't, I was a budget traveller and it was perfect for just that. I would go back but not for the flashy over dressed miserable staff.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 April 2013 via mobile

First i was mislead over the rate where the manager claimed he had discounted the room from £18 to £15 when he hadnt. I think it was a ploy to get me to take a seaview room which was £20 but discounted to £18. I decided to take it anyway because it was close to the beach and the room was modern and spacious

On the same day I checked in the Air con stopped working. They tried to fob me off with an excuse that as it was still making a sound it was working ok but in fact no cool air was coming out. They spent 90 mins trying to repair it after which it was only marginally better. They then tried to convince me that it would take and hour so for the repair to take effect. They told me that they could put a fan in my room. Great considering I had opted for the air con room which was $3 more than the fan room.

When I got back the AC unit was leaking water and was no better - there was also no fan. I was offered 3 more rooms all of which had no proper working air con. I checked out at 4am as it was far too hot to stay.

Ultimately the staff went out of their way to mislead me and and failed to deliver on promises

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank scaramanga007
Reviewed 12 March 2013

We were dropped off here by a tuk tuk driver even though we didn't ask to be. Had breakfast here as it was early and nothing else was open. The two staff members who we spoke to were really rude.
As soon as we said we were only coming to eat one of the staff became really short and rude. Another when we said thank you to him laughed at us really rudely and mimicked us back. The food was not bad but a little pricey for what you get. Because the two staff members were such jerks and the tuk tuk driver clearly had some kind of deal with this hotel we definitely decided we wouldn't be staying here, no matter how cheap the rooms were.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2013

We were brought here by tuk-tuk drivers, but unfortunately we had to stay having confirmed that no other place had enough room for our group. The rooms on ground floor were more spacious and a little cooler, but thanks to the wood on the walls upstairs you couldn't see how dirty they were, as opposed to downstairs. There were bugs in the bathroom, the drain wasn't working, overall one of the worst places I've seen in SE Asia. On the upside: it's bearable, the beach is really close, a few bbqs and spas nearby, beverages can be bought on the premises 24/24. For us a fan was sufficient. Wifi in common areas only.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 February 2013 via mobile

I arrived in Sihanoukville right on Chinese new year so accommodation was sparse so I didn't mind when mr tuk tuk at bus station asked me if I wanted hotel. (despite the obvious commission scam). I only wanted 3 nights and when I got there they only had a double twin. I checked the room out and went for it..... So, room was great, clean and towels fresh. Shower was good and beds comfy. Air con was brilliant. My only real niggle with this place was the price for what I received (okay Chinese new year). The wi-fi here is terrible... No signal in room and public areas simply no good. The restaurant here is nothing special either although I found the service good. The coffee was the best thing about it. Location is brilliant beach is 90 seconds away. It fairly noisy due to road, bars n restaurants but I don't mind that. Overall not a bad place at all.

• Stayed: February 2013