“Everything you could want for $5 a night!”
Review of GBT Guesthouse

GBT Guesthouse
Ranked #176 of 234 Sihanoukville B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Everything you could want for $5 a night!”
Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

We got into sihanoukville without a hotel reservation. Our tuk tuk driver dropped us off at GBT guesthouse and it ended up being a perfect spot. For $5 we got a great room with a fan and a private bathroom (tho no hot water). The room was very clean and big. There wasn't wifi in the rooms, but they had it in the restaurant which also had great food. And, most importantly, the guesthouse was in a great location around 2 blocks from serendipity beach. So, we got a quiet night's sleep but were right near all the action.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 25 September 2013

This review is about GBT4 which is down the beach road away from the cluster of bars, restaurants and lodges but an easy walk.

GBT4 has some very old, dark and smelly rooms as reported in other reviews however, they do have a relatively new building where the 2nd floor rooms are all clean and bright. These are the only rooms to go for.
They have a big restaurant which was convenient for breakfast but our evening meals we took outside at one of the many beach eateries (which had enthusiastic and fun staff).

Despite the downsides we stayed for 6 days for $13 per night in a room good for 4 (2 x double beds) with AC, TV, fridge and hot water. Clean and comfortable.

Now, the downsides.
1) The WiFi is only good for 20 minutes, after which you have to re-login. Totally disastrous if you are trying to get any work done or banking or make onward bookings, whatever. It was a constant source of frustration to us and pushed me to breaking point many times.
2) I am sure that the young general staff are lovely people outside of their work environment but I suspect that there is something rotten about their work conditions which makes them sad and wooden. We did manage to force a smile out of some them from time to time but it was an exception.
3) The manager, in my opinion there is something sly and untrustworthy about him . . . I don't know, it is just the way he made me feel.
I rented a motorbike from him which was a piece of crap. When I went to review the bike with him before riding off; he just turned his back and walked away, naturally that left me wondering about his motives, as I say, I thought he was untrustworthy. Anyway, it all ended okay.
But I did not give him any more business than I needed too.
Which is why I booked our bus tickets to the border at another agency.
And I guess that is why he was totally uninterested when our pick up was late and I asked him to contact the bus company.

GBT4 offers a good nights sleep but do not expect anything more.
You will experience so much better as I have during my travels in Cambodia.

Room Tip: Only book if you can be guaranteed of a new 2nd floor room.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Barcelona
Reviewed 23 September 2013

In low season we paid 5$ for a double room. The place is not extremely dirty but it's not clean, and the mattress was old and stinky. They have rooms around a small garden, where we were, and another rooms, same price, in some kind of dark narrow alley. Of course at first they offer you the creepy rooms in this alley. If you complain, they finally show you the ones in the garden. It's not an amazing place, but just a few steps away from the beach. I guess for 5$ you can not expect a better deal in that touristic area.

The worst for us was the attitude of the staff. In general they don't even look at you when you arrive to the reception and try to ask them something. But today we had a problem with the bus we booked to Koh Kong, but as we didn't booked it in their guesthouse they just laughed when we asked for help, and ignored us. Twice. And we where just asking them to do a phone call...

The restaurant they have is pretty expensive considering what you get for your money, the coffee is one of the worst on earth, (cheese sandwich is probably the best thing they have though) and while you are eating you have less than two meters away from you one or two of the waiters staring at you, completely immobile. So if you like to be observed while you chew expensive-cheap stuff and then have a receptionist that doesn't look at your face while you ask him anything, under any circumstance, then this is your place.

Oh, by the way: if you try to pay your room on a regular moment of the day and he doesn't look at your face 'cause he's mucking around with other staff, don't worry: he will come to ask you for the money the first second you sit to eat your breakfast the next morning.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Sihanoukville hotels

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Budget hotel for the average backpacker. So don't expect much. USD15 for an air-con room.
Good location, just so close to Serendipity beach & the beach night life.

Yes, sometimes staff's service not so good.

But so far they treat me ok, as I go there quite often.

Room Tip: No Fitness Center & Room service.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Eugene G
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Cambodia on a whole is a very cheep place to stay but I found GBT have very good rooms for the price and the beds were more than big enough, couldn't be much closer to the beach and the night life, only downside is the staff. They tried to be a 5 star hotel which it clearly wasn't, I was a budget traveller and it was perfect for just that. I would go back but not for the flashy over dressed miserable staff.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
london
Reviewed 24 April 2013 via mobile

First i was mislead over the rate where the manager claimed he had discounted the room from £18 to £15 when he hadnt. I think it was a ploy to get me to take a seaview room which was £20 but discounted to £18. I decided to take it anyway because it was close to the beach and the room was modern and spacious

On the same day I checked in the Air con stopped working. They tried to fob me off with an excuse that as it was still making a sound it was working ok but in fact no cool air was coming out. They spent 90 mins trying to repair it after which it was only marginally better. They then tried to convince me that it would take and hour so for the repair to take effect. They told me that they could put a fan in my room. Great considering I had opted for the air con room which was $3 more than the fan room.

When I got back the AC unit was leaking water and was no better - there was also no fan. I was offered 3 more rooms all of which had no proper working air con. I checked out at 4am as it was far too hot to stay.

Ultimately the staff went out of their way to mislead me and and failed to deliver on promises

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank scaramanga007
Barrington, Australia
Reviewed 12 March 2013

We were dropped off here by a tuk tuk driver even though we didn't ask to be. Had breakfast here as it was early and nothing else was open. The two staff members who we spoke to were really rude.
As soon as we said we were only coming to eat one of the staff became really short and rude. Another when we said thank you to him laughed at us really rudely and mimicked us back. The food was not bad but a little pricey for what you get. Because the two staff members were such jerks and the tuk tuk driver clearly had some kind of deal with this hotel we definitely decided we wouldn't be staying here, no matter how cheap the rooms were.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple