“OK for a nite”

Ranked #176 of 234 Sihanoukville B&B and Inns
Golden, Colorado
“OK for a nite”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

This review is for GBT 4 Guesthouse.
There are FOUR--4 GBT guesthouses in SNK, of varying quality.

I gave in to suggestion from my motodup, rather than going all the way to Otres 2 --a mistake!
For a rate of $15 I got 2 double beds (I asked for one, got two!), two oscillating fans, TV, ensuite bathroom (COLD water), complimentary toiletries, flip-flops, and water.

The restaurant is large, plays music 'constantly', and loudly. The TV is on, 'constantly' and also loudly. There is a surfeit of waitstaff: I observed one standing to the side of his table the whole time the folks were there --I would've asked him to 'give some space'. There were a few warm, smiling faces, and some rather expressionless. I watched volleyball on TV while people-watching, recouping from a bus ride from Koh Kong.

The room was clean, large and airy, with a screened window (w one tape-repair). There were at least 5 mosquitoes in the room, and they behaved as mosquitoes do, much to my frustration! Although I did bring four to rest, many more came in the room--the space under the door is almost 1.5 in! I did ask for mosquito coils, they had none (at my previous guesthouse, these were supplied with a friendly smile).
One fan was not oscillating, and was quite noisy in its attempts to do so. I went to the guy at reception - he used a walkie-talkie to convey the message; a guy came in a couple minutes. The fan was totally replaced! Although it ended up being installed at an angle, it worked as it should.

The TV reception did go out several times, for two minutes or less. The internet was good, and available in my room.

I was going to eat at Snooky's (there are TWO) near Ocheteaul (closed!), and ended up eating red snapper at Nice Ocean, a 5-7 min walk toward town, on the street behind GBT4. It was EXcellent!! $5.

I am leaving after one night at GBT4--going to Otres 2.
It is an OK place -- having a cold water shower is fine, it's just that I'm ready for a HOT shower to have before bed, after a gritty day of travel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Reviewed 8 February 2014

This is the first review I have ever wrote on tripadvisor but after a couple of days of having to deal with shockingly rude staff it has left me with no option!!! Yes the rooms are only $15 dollars for two people so I have nothing to complain about room wise and actually I thought they were pretty ok, it is just the damn right RUDENESS, BAD MANORS, DISRESPECTFUL , UNHELPFUL & IGNORANT staff. We are now checking out to a hostel down the road as they are plenty of other places at the same price with very helpful staff!! Basically .... Do not stay here !!

• Stayed February 2014

Travellers are raving about these Sihanoukville hotels

Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Good location, ok room (old and dark but you couldn’t expect more than that from a 10$ room) but weird staff – the girls never smiles as if they are forced to do their job, and above all – worst manager ever!
We rent a motorbike there and got crashed by some crazy local drivers who ran away after the accident. Some parts of the bike got broken and my friend was badly injured. The traffic police wanted to take the bike as it had no number plates or paper but we were leaving soon + didn’t want to cause the hotel trouble, so we said we would handle the bike and fix it, please return it to the hotel! At the hotel, the manager forced us to pay 300USD (which was ridiculous) or “fix it by yourself” (he thought we couldn’t as we were leaving on the same day). We didn’t give up though, we actually tried to fix it by ourselves by finding motorbike service stores and asked some mechanic guys to come over the hotel to take it, repair it and return to the hotel when it is alright (should be around 89$ to replace the broken parts the store said). But this time, the manager said we cannot bring this bike anywhere, he still insisted on us paying 300$. We couldn’t do anything as we were leaving.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 January 2014

While GBT4 is directly across from beach and the room was ok, the staff, especially the managers are nasty and have no sense seemingly of the business they are in, namely hospitality. Only time in Cambodia I have found such rudeness and disregard for people, which cannot be attributable to language. Very disappointing!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 19 January 2014

stayed here @ the xmas time.booked in on the 22 dec.paid for 2 nights $20.was told on the 23rd that the rooms were going up $10 a night until the new year was over.i said i was leaving then the guy said he wud only put it up on xmas day only.good location across from the beach.guy at the reception was a cheeky ,greasy ,ignorant low life.wud never arrange to get the room clean,wanted a tip when i asked for clean towels after having a row over not getting my room clean.bar the location this is a hole,people that work there are similar

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Kep, Cambodia
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Positive points: clean room and good location

Negative points : unfriendly staff, worst manager in the world!

Explanation: checked in on the 24th which was 10$ (double room) and booked for two nights. Because we quite enjoyed our location and werent fit to travel we decided to see it day by day. We ended up adding two more single days to our stay which were told 24 hours in advance to the manager( also directly paid). When we told the manager we wanted to stay untill the 1st of january he wanted to charge us 30$ for the room on the 31st and got extremely rude. Saying that we were annoying because we booked single days. When I asked him why he was being rude to us he just continued his job. When we left we asked for clean towels, they gave us dirty towles. Very immature.

Staff doesnt throw a smile, and they dont speak English very well and dont try, they dont care

Conclusion: stay here for a night and move on.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
bei heidelberg
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Dont expect too much - but what you get is a useful and clean (cambodia-clean...) room with Fan and TV and private bathroom for 7USD. They are often full and sometimes you need to book one day in advance.
Their Restaurant is cheap and offers good food: Asean and western cuisine. Had nothing really bad but also nothing really delicious dishes there.

All in all: recommended. All 3 GBT Guesthouses are well located and not too far away from the nightlife so everything is easily reachable in walking distance.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo