“Very warm family welcome but...”
Review of Carpe Diem

and 1 more site!
Carpe Diem
Australia
“Very warm family welcome but...”
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Ok...the family welcome is nice. The family (not staff) were extremely attentive to any of my needs and very enthusiastic for feedback which is good. However, i don't like to complain when on holiday. i think its their responsibility to know how to run a villa! Just do a little competitive research online, or go and visit competitors and assess their pricing and value proposition, you don't have to be a genius. The bed was comfortable with a couple of nice fresh flowers laid on the pillows. Sheets, towels, bathroom and bungalow in general, were clean with soap provided. Mosquito net was seamless and effective. Internet worked in bungalow, just. Now, here's the bottom line. The villa is remotely located and about 20-25 mins walk from otres 1. Water pressure virtually non existent with brown water. Sink and toilet hoses both leaked. I had to try the italian food as the family are Italian which was promising of high quality. I mentioned I was in a little bit of a rush to meet a friend. I ordered Spag carb as i though it would be a quick choice but it took about 25 mins to prepare and was a little salty. I, starving, scoffed it down in a hurry and left. Just for the spaghetti, it was overpriced at $8, and was left feeling a bit ripped off. I was offered bread with the meal, but why offer it and not just serve it with the meal? Fruit was also offered after the meal, but perhaps it was forgotten that I was meeting someone despite mentioning it a few times. Also, after paying too much for the meal I certainly didn't want to be charged extra for extras offered, which may or may not have been complimentary. I lived with Italians for years and worked in Italian restaurants also so I love Italian food and know quality when I taste it. I also make fresh pasta and would recommend the owners do the same as flower and eggs are very cheap. The dish was worth $3-4 and should've taken 10-12 minutes. I payed $30 for the room but should've paid no more than $15 for its condition and location. Tiles are a little vile and adversely affect the ambiance in the bungalow. I was woken at 3am and 7am by a screaming baby which continued to scream at 9am. So glad I didn't have a late night. It has Good potential as a quiet retreat, however needs renovation, attention, and repricing! In the proprietor's defense, it should be mentioned that I live in Vietnam, and have travelled to cambodia and throughout se asia several times which has given me an acute sense of value for money. Sorry guys, I didn't find it here. I work hard for my dollar and truly know the value of it. I don't mind paying more for anything, but value for money is a must, especially if expecting a return stay or positive recommendation. Otherwise it leaves a sour taste in the mouth. I wish the family the best and hope they can use this feedback constructively. I find honesty is the best policy but certainly don't want to spend my time complaining. After reading other reviews, I guess perhaps, I might have just lucked out. :P The owners were EXTREMELY friendly. I want service and value...that's
all. I don't think it was worth $30

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank BigSteveAustralia
Silvia P, Proprietario at Carpe Diem, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
Constructive criticism is always appreciated but only those that seek to destroy us always create MANY DOUBTS.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed 19 November 2013

This place was really nice, the bungalows are clean, quiet, well furnished and its a good place to chill out after coming back from the crowded beach. It's a little bit far from the main beach but at walking distance!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

After reading all the great reviews I was looking forward to relaxing at the Carpe Diem close to the beach and that's where it stops. I arrived it was dark, vicious dogs barking and the owner came out and said they were full even with my booking!!!! The owner had lied and said I didn't show up and I have lost my money, which in my opinion for the area these bungalows are way overpriced and not anywhere close to the beach. I had a great time in Otres beach at a new hotel and very cheap I will never recommend this place to anyone.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank AussieChez
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Run by an Italian family originally from Rimini, Carpe Diem was the perfect laid back place to stop off for a night enroute to the islands off the southern Cambodian coast. We were greeted warmly and shown to a very nicely furnished bungalow (there are 3 in total) in which we found a very effective fan and good mosquito net. Cost was $30 per night (breakfast not included). In the evening, there was a limited menu - mostly Italian pasta dishes, but as good as any we've eaten throughout Italy. Bruschetta was fantastic, beer was cold and reasonably priced. The following morning we needed to go to Sihanoukville port to catch a boat. Needless to say, the taxi we'd booked the day before failed to show - but our hosts were able to summon a tuk tuk for us at very short notice. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 4 April 2013

From the moment we got there until the moment we left, we felt like we were part of the family. The owners were so hospitable and really made an effort to make us feel comfortable. It's not in the prettiest area, nor is it right next to the beach, but it is a place that is run by really beautiful people that desire to make your stay enjoyable. We hired a moto for $5 a day to get around, not that you need it if you don't mind walking a short distance to the nearest beach. The food was amazing..so good that it's impossible to forget. And the home made cake we were given when leaving was a testament to their kind hearts.
Con & Paola

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2013

We stayed in Carpe Diem in January 2013, it was the best place we stayed on our trip. The bungalows were nicely decorated and clean and set in beautiful gardens. It was only a 5 min walk to the beach and Otres 1 and 2 beaches were also close - these are the best beaches in the area, much nicer than Sihanoukville the water is so clear. Really the best part of our stay was the hospitality, Silvia, Paulo, Silvana and Raynauto were great company and made us feel like part of the family. The Italian coffee and food was also a bonus. We hope to go back and would highly recommend Carpe Diem to others.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gail F
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2013

We stayed at Carpe Diem from 26th Feb until 1st March. We arrived super early (circa 5.30am!) and despite waking up the owners at this early hour, they greeted us with a warm smile and a much needed coffee.

The bungalows are quaint and clean and sat back from the beach which is a short walk or inexpensive tuk-tuk/moto ride away.

The owners, an Italian family, were warm, friendly and made us feel like a part of their family during our stay. One evening, they even cooked us a beautiful dinner and we all sat round, ate and drank together for the evening.

Tours and transport and easy to book, either through the owners or a local tour agency close to the beach.

We initially had planned stay only 3 nights, but found Carpe Diem so friendly and relaxing, we stayed an extra night.

The nearby beaches (Otres 1 and 2) are beautiful and the water is clean. A much better option than the crowded more touristy beaches closer to Sihanoukville.

Overall - we would highly recommend staying at Carpe Diem and hope to visit again in the future.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends