“Great value for money!”

Ranked #55 of 234 Sihanoukville B&B and Inns
Western Cape, South Africa
“Great value for money!”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Very helpful and friendly staff, always eager to assist! The owner has managed to set up a very competitive operation for The price of a backpackers. One big plus is the proximity to town and Ocheurteal beach.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Everything about the hotel is good. The service is exceptional and the owner is very involved with making sure your stay here is well. While there are a lot of hotels in walking distance from the beach, this hotel's location is exceptional. It's far from the hustle and bustle of the beach because it's located on the quieter side and just one minute away (walking distance). The only bad thing about the hotel is the pool. I love it, especially since management uses salt and crystals to clean the water.

HOWEVER, SINCE I'VE BEEN HERE, I'VE SEEN PEOPLE SWIM DURING NON-SWIMMING TIMES. I WAS AWOKEN AT 5:30 IN THE MORNING BECAUSE PEOPLE DECIDED TO SWIM - AND I'M A HEAVY SLEEPER. AND THE STAFF, ALTHOUGH THEY CAN HEAR IT, DECIDED NOT TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT. I CARE ABOUT MY SLEEP SO WHILE EVERYTHING WAS GREAT, I WILL HAVE TO BITE MY TOUNGE AFTER SAYING I'D RECOMMEND THIS PLACE AND COME AGAIN AND UNRECOMMEND THIS PLACE.

Room Tip: no room is safe from the noise of the people at the pool. hope you're lucky and they don't s...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Decided after flying from Hong Kong and needing to arrange my Vietnam visa to come straight to sihanoukville from Phnom Penh for some r and r time. We checked in at 7ish and no problem. Chilled in the pool. Quick dinner before bed.

Over the next few days Myself and my Khmer wife have managed to relax. Being close enough to Ochuteal beach to walk there short tuk tuk ride to otres or downtown Sihanoukville but quiet where you can sleep through the night no problem.

Owner is attentive to our needs and friendly.

2nd time herevand would stay a 3rd.

• Stayed June 2014
Sihanoukville, Cambodia
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Actually!!! my wife and i went there for some meals and we knew nearly everything about it. one of their staffs told us about the bosses ,the managers and the wages. We didn't expect to know this but when we know it so bad. They're not happy to work with them salary either working times too long(start 7am until 10:30pm with salary $50 for one month and no day off) unbelievable...Avoid this place believe me if you want to wast your money with very bad services.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Niederlenz, Switzerland
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I was staying one night there (on my way to Kep): nice complex with only, if I remember right, 14 rooms placed around the pool.
Rooms are nice. I did not have breakfast, so I can not judge this.
Within one minute you're down at the ocean.
I'd rather not stay again in Sihanoukville. But if so, Makara Bungalow would be a nice, quiet place.

Room Tip: All of the rooms have a good pool view with the exception of, if I'm not mistaken 106, 107, 206...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

The owner and staff are quite friendly, and its a short tuk tuk ride away from the center of town ($1 consistently for the 1km ride if your good at negotiating... $3-5 if your not). You can hire a scooter from the reception for $5 for 24hrs. I wouldn't exactly say the place resembles my idea of being bungalows, and they are about 40 metres away from the beach. The pool is clean and looks quite nice at night, and all the rooms surround it. Not a bad budget choice

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BigKeVvi
manchester
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Been travelling for two weeks now through out Cambodia (many great reviews to come once we are home) however this is being written so others may not make the simple mistakes we have over the last week!

We began our stay in Otres beach which was lovely however quite basic so for 3 days of our stay we moved- one of the biggest reasons was for aircon in the evenings.

This place seemed pretty good so we checked in. The rooms are clean with great aircon, there's a tv which we never used. There is hot water available for a shower which was another bonus to us however the water pressure is very low.

The problems- location: either stay at otres if you want a nice relaxing time away from the crowds with a nice beach, or if you want to be in the action get a hotel in town. This "guest house" is neither here nor there, not on the beach, not really close to any where.

Laundry- do not do your laundry here, it's usual to pay 1 dollar a kilo everywhere here however we made the mistake of not asking for the price (granted out fault) however we only had a couple of items. The laundry took two days before we got it back (some places have a 3 hour turnaround) with an 8 dollar charge for just a few items!

Scooter rental- cheap at 5 dollars and after hearing the horror stories rented from the hotel- tyres needed pumping and the needle was bent round the empty gauge. Again I would expect this from a random stall but not from our relatively pricey guesthouse.

Staff- quite abrupt at times, certainly no where near as good as every where else we stayed.

Pool- not sure on reviews of pool it's badly positioned in the middle of all the rooms, we didn't see it used once in our stay. It's not much bigger than your average paddling pool and why bother when there's a beautiful beach a tuk tuk ride away.

To summarise, this place for Cambodia is expensive, there are plenty of charming places to stay along the beach in Otres or in town if you want to be close to the action. Oh and finally a late check out is not an option. Forced to sit in the bar area for two hours as apparently the place was full. This would have been fine if it wasn't a blatant lie!

• Stayed December 2013