“Alright...not quite 5 stars” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Sokha Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 72 Hotels in Sihanoukville
Dracut, Massachusetts, United States
“Alright...not quite 5 stars”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

We stayed 2 nights at Sokha in July and it was okay. I think it's rated as a 5-star hotel but I would give it 3-stars. My biggest turn off was that when I walked into our room, it had a musty smell and the comforter on the bed was damp. I think it's because they had the AC turned off. Otherwise, the room was clean. The second night was better after they changed the sheets and comforter. It's a nice property and the service was good. The beach and pool is clean. There was a great selection at breakfast...but there was quite a bit of flies around the fruit. The Lemongrass Restaurant is over-priced. I mainly picked the hotel for the private beach and it was nice.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank NS0903
S0khaH, General Manager at Sokha Beach Resort, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
Dear NS0903,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to inform us about your experience during your recent stay at the Sokha Beach Resort, Sihanouk Ville Province.

While I am proud to read your comments on our good service, the cleanliness of our rooms and the breakfast experience, I am as disappointed as you to learn of your dissatisfaction with the musty smell, the damp comforter and the prices at Lemongrass restaurant, and I want to extend my sincere apologies for the defects that we were encountered during your stay.

The concerned departments and managers have been notified and we will get these rectified immediately.

I once again appreciate your constructive comments and would like to apologize on behalf of the team and I would take pleasure in welcoming you back.

Please feel free to contact myself directly if you are travelling back to the Sokha Beach Resort, Sihanouk Ville so that I may personally take care of you on your next stay.

____________________________
Jeffrey Sussman
Sokha Beach Resort –Preah Sihanouk Province

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Mudgee, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

We only had two days at the sokha and it did pour most of the time, but we had a great stay.
The rooms are spacious, the bed is huge (the most comfortable on our whole trip) and the bathroom was lovely. All where kept very clean. Every room seemed to have a lovely little balcony. The room did have an odd smell everytime you walked into it though.
All the staff where friendly and very helpful.
The restaurants on site are great, the deck bar was really nice and had great cocktails. The included buffet breakfast caters for every possible taste and everything I tried tasted great.
The pool area is great as well, the staff wait on you, making you feel very important!
The beach is just gorgeous, private to the hotel which makes it very clean and not busy.
The resort is very large and there is a bit of renovation going on but we where nowhere near it.
We would love to come back.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Pen528
S0khaH, General Manager at Sokha Beach Resort, responded to this review, 2 August 2012
Dear Pen528,

While I am proud to read your comments such as the spacious rooms, a great restaurant and a gorgeous beach, I am as disappointed as you to learn of your dissatisfaction with the odd smell in your room, and I want to extend my sincere apologies for the defects that were encountered during your stay. It would be great if you would mind providing us your room number and your name so that we can take a good care of you when you come here next time.

Jeffrey Sussman
Sokha Beach Resort –Preah Sihanouk Province
Farum, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

The hotel is located outside the city and has a private lovely beach. The breakfast is delicious - really great!!! Everything else that can be bought on the premises is extremely expensive.

The only thing partially negative I can say about the place is that the lagoon part of the hotel (which we stayed at) is placed so the parking lot and the tennis courts are blocking the sea view.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank CecilieC76
melbourne,vic
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012 via mobile

We stayed here during the wet season so of coarse it rained. The staff were amazing and jumped at the chance to help you! They would drive us around the resort in golf carts or walk with us with umbrellas.
The resort is huge! They are doing renovations at the moment in one area but all the guests are staying in another area far away so you don't even notice.
The beach is fantastic! So clean and quiet!
All the food at the resort is fantastic! We really enjoyed the buffet breakfast and the deck- tapas bar.
The rooms are really 5 star with huge beds, bathrooms etc. very nice!!!
The jasmine spa is fantastic and well worth a visit for a bit of luxury!
The only negative was the wifi wasn't good in the rooms or around the resort, only I the newer resteraunt. Also the power went out a lot during our stay. These two things could of been because of the rennovations though.
I would Definately cone back here again!
An amazing 5 star resort that will no doubt be more amazing once finished!
Also the new chalets looked great!
We got a room in a deluxe ocean view in low season for $133 us dollars a night!!!
Very cheap for 5 star!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank beachgirlfromaus
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2012

Stayed at the Sokha Beach Resort in June 2012, lovely hotel, beautiful beach and pool area. The private beach is definitely a plus point as you have no interruption’s from beggars or people selling things, but you pay the price as its not cheap compared to other hotels.

We stayed in the main building near reception, great room very spacious with a power shower. We were moved to the building near the water bungalows after a power cut, the room was nicer but far away from the main reception, breakfast area and the nicer pool. The pool by the water bungalows was not as nice as the one nearer the main reception. Would definitely recommend staying near the main reception. Staff were very friendly and recommended places to eat near by the hotel. They were very helpful.
Wide selection of food for breakfast both international and oriental. Every thing you would expect for a 5 star hotel

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank milso14
singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

The hotel very nice with private Beach. staff friendly good service. good beach...... the room is nice with belcony. the swiming pool is pretty......... the food in Champa is a bit slow but still good. Lemongrass is good location and fantatic seafood with seaview open air.
the first attractive is Front Desk with warm welcome . all my family are great with SOKHA beach. the waiter are nice with helpful. room cleaning is on time and nice job. I was helpfull from Duty Manager Mr. keansin who give full hand assist with my room problem and my request and my MOM, I'm so appreciated that. my parent would like to say "thank you for your assist, Mr. keansin'. My family return trip to SOKHA beach in next year hope will have a great time like that. I like that.

Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Raymond T
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2012 via mobile

Service was good as the staff there were very fluent with English. They have shuttle service in and out of Sokha. The reception helped us to purchase tickets back to Phnom Penh.

All the other bad stuff below.
Wi-Fi: seriously, it didn't work as the connection always dropped in the room.

Room: We had 2 or more mosquitoes in the room. They had a good meal of us. We experience 2 blackouts one night and the TV lost its satellite connection when it rains.

Price of meal: The MOST expensive in the entire sihanoukville.

Breakfast: Only the noodle soup is good. The juice are not freshly made. It is cordial juice.

Facilities: The jacuzzi closed earlier than it supposed to be on the day I visited. Disappointed.
The place is awfully quiet with not much patrons. Also, I have never seen an empty casino filled with only staff below until I visited Sokha.

It's truly not a 5-star resort at all....

• Stayed June 2012