“Loved it!!!!!!!!”

Sokha Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 80 Hotels in Sihanoukville
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We loved this hotel!

We stayed at this hotel recently for 8 nights and boy were we impressed. Not only does it feel like a 5 star hotel - it feels like a small town with areas that you can escape and relax.

Firstly there is a private beach where you can escape the people trying to sell you things.. Secondly there are so many different options for dining, the service is incredible, staff always assisting you if you need anything extra which hasn't already been provided.

The golf carts that take you to and from your room is an example of great service and the staff are lovely!

There is an amazing casino at this resort (if you like that sort of thing), two pools which are not crowded plus you have the beach option (which is located perfectly for the sunset) and the fitness centre is insane! We have stayed at many hotels and have travelled quite a bit and boy this fitness centre is rated 110%!

We stayed in the lake side deluxe and the rooms were a great sized! Even better the bed was huge, more like two king single beds together or quite possibly bigger! The room service is fast and the food is great! The bathroom is large with a great sized bath! The room was always cleaned to perfection by the cleaners!

We were on our honeymoon and we were treated like royalty! I would like to make a special mention to the staff there who not only do we hope to be in touch with again but they are the people who make us want to go back to this hotel (besides the amazing amenities) - Mey Chamroeum, his brother Odahm (I don't know the correct spelling) and Mr Rachana. These employees went out of their way to make us feel even more special while staying at Sokha beach! They are very hard workers and provided us with great service without any hesitation - we appreciate their kindness to us and if you are staying at this hotel be sure to say hello to them!

• Stayed: December 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,623)

Reviewed 23 December 2013

We stayed at this hotel at the end of our tour of Vietnam and Cambodia. Throughout the tour we stayed in four and five star hotels. All of which were excellent. That is except for this one te Sokha Beach Resort. We stayed in the luxury bungalows. The whole complex is situated in a very nice area and the beach is excellent. Sadly that is where it ends as the whole place is in need of a refresh as behind the façade of a grand reception area everywhere looks tired. The pool area is very nice but it is spoilt because the hotel allows anyone to use the facilities if they pay a day entrance fee. They do not vet anyone coming in so the residents are exposed to sharing the pool and bar area with on occaision the sort of people you would not normally get at a five star hotel. This is not a snobby statement; for example we were sitting around the pool enjoying the sun and relaxed atmosphere when a limosine full of Australian lads arrived. Apparently they were from a cruise that had docked in the area for the day. They proceeded to take of the pool area and bar getting loudly drunk and commandeering the pool are with bombing in and diving all over the place making it dangerous for any children in the vicinity. They were shouting and swearing with a total disregard for all around them. The hotel staff including sedcurity did nothing. All the staff did was to continue to serve them cocktails. After a couple of hours of this they then proceeded to try to teach local staff / new friends how to swear. Nothing was off limits they were shouting across the are [--]. [--].[--] etc. I complained to the management and they limply told them to stop but did not enforce. At one stage one of these louts even threatened one of the residents and not one member of staff or security intervened. It was only when their limosine arrived at about 3pm to take them back to their ship that things improved. I dread to think how things would have turned out if they had stayed any longer.
This was also the only place where we stayed that we had a stomach upset. I would not recommend eating there. Again all prices are five star prices but one star quality. The internet room is filthy stings of cigarettes with cigarette butts everywere. It is hot with no air conditioning. Breakfast is poorly arranged. When we arrived we had to wait two hours for our apartment because it was not ready. No effort was made to speed things up. But they were very quick to get us to sign up to donations for their charity Christmas dinner for local children which in itself is no bad thing but not a priority above all else. All in all the place has the air of something that was once very special but is now looking tired and in the need of a change of management and a coat of paint and motivated staff. It has the potential to be a very special and luxurious place. But at the moment it sadly lacking in every department. the evening entertainment is derisory with a couple crooning poorly almost like background music. You can tell a decent bar and restaurant by the number of people using it. On every night the place was empty with the duo singing to an almost empty room. Amazing when you consider the number of people staying in such a huge complex. I would not stay there again. I will be returning to the area but will definitely seek out a different place to stay. Sokha beach resort looks good but behind the grand façade it is very poor. Such a shame.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank GORDON H
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Totally agree with previous reviews - it will be Great place if train staff and improve English. Stay in November 8 days. Nothing to add - horrible Reception Men's (black and white uniform elder Manager haven't any basic culture of communication), no one motivate to work ....management not respectful and fully relax. One European Lady on Reception helps everyone and really friendly. Breakfast - empty with sleeping staff, rooms - old. But nice beach and location .

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Estée laund L
Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

We planned to spend 4 nights at the Sokha Beach Resort and checked-in in a Deluxe Room. We checked-out earlier as we didn't want to spend the money in a shabby hotel where you pay for everything a five star price.

Apart from the entrance hall we didn't have one single minute a five star hotel experience: the furniture is old, the bath tub has old stains and holes... the chairs on the balcony are so dirty that you cannot use them... Only the garden around the pool is cultivated... When we checked-in, the floor in the room was still dirty and sandy that we had to ask the room service to clean first...

The local staff is very helpful and friendly... but not managed well like you expect from a five star hotel... You wait 10 minutes for some sugar, you get a Cappuccino when you order a Latte, you have to find the salt by yourself as all saltcellar are empty... We didn't get served at all at the beach bar as the staff was chatting with each other...

All in all: it's a pity, that the management is not able to run this hotel, as it would be a lovely place...! At the moment: you pay for 5 stars, but you even don't get 3 stars...!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thomas-mueller-zrh
Reviewed 20 December 2013

We booked a tour- starting off in Bangkok for 4 days where we stayed at The Landmark- separate review for this, then Siem Reap for 6 days- Prince D'Ankgor hotel- ditto- then an 8 day stay at The Sokha Beach Hotel for some rest and relaxation after being templed out with lots of walking (but well worth it) and all the flights- 4 planes to get to Sihanoukville. After the delights of Siem R I was rather disappointed looking out of the car window drive to the hotel from the airport- the surrounds looked quite shabby and industrial- well it is the country's largest port, the area is more hilly than the north, the Golden Lion roundabout also looked in need of a good tidy up as did all the shacks and houses on the way. It just struck me as scruffy. Yes I know people are poor and have to live frugally- but that is never an excuse for litter. When we reached the hotel I was also a bit concerned that it seemed quite a distance away from the town area where we would need to go to supermarkets etc. It was however nearer the town than the Independence Hotel which we nearly booked. The hotel itself looked quite presentable when we arrived -which was more than could be said for the reception we received, it was a horrible first impression -the desk boy was downright rude, he hadn't any manners and came over as couldn't care less. We felt that we were intruding !! After having been treated with the greatest respect so far on our journey this seemed to be really unusual.My husband had to complain in the end as it just felt that there was no warmth or welcome- the Ukrainian girl Julia came over to help out- her English is very good- which is not always the case with many of the staff- they do try their best tho- I think sometimes it's the accents- Westerners can find it difficult to understand what the person is trying to say as often the s and v letters are difficult to pronounce by locals. Julia showed us to our room- which despite my previously stating to the desk boy it should be a twin, turned out to be a double- sorry but my night sweats require twin living at the moment.We had to wait at the room for Julia to return to reception then come back. The room looked ok. We were then shown to a room a couple of doors futher along- a twin- to be perfectly honest the room looked as if it had not been used in a while and was in need of some attention, the beds were missing the silk top sheet and the floor really needed a good polish- footprints every where, the bathroom had smears on the shower cubicle- they were glue marks I think and the overbath shower head had strange orange bits hanging out of the spray holes.The dressing area floor tiles were badly stained.The balcony had a chipped balustrade and all the time we were there it never once got swept up. The view was of the gardens which were kept well, the pool was to our left and to our right we had a partial view of the beach area and could catch the sound of the waves occasionally. Despite the need for more care in the room we found good points- the rooms are quite spacious, I always like to have a bath and shower which we had, the bed and pillows are fabulously comfortable, towels are changed regularly, you get these oriental looking dressing gowns - which the Chinese guests wore to the beach, to the pool and even at breakfast time ! There is a complimentary shoe shine and umbrella and the toiletries are ample and nicely perfumed- you will notice that all the public rest rooms are very clean and smell good- they put oil burners down- we had one in the bathroom but it was never filled, maybe all I had to do was ask. As time went on and the staff realised that we were unlike most guests -ie who in the main are only there for a few days -we noticed that more care and attention was given to the cleaning of the room and even roses put in the vase. However the tv was never dusted. I did ask for a mosquito spray which the room lady left with me- thank you- it was just a stray mossie every so often, I didn't have to use the spray again. I had to chortle as it was about five days after her leaving the spray that one of the supervisors approached us one breakfast time to say that they would be fumigating the room and changing our mattresses that day .....eh ? We thanked him and said all was ok...better late than never but this is the sort of time lapses that occur.
The other thing that really bugged us off was that very first weekend- we felt smarted as after a bad introduction we decided to have room service as we were so tired out- don't know why but the internal flights seemed to do us in- the food was really better than anticipated- LOVELY noodles and fish and rice - all well presented on a large tray with condiments and nice table ware etc- hey things were looking up ! But the appeal was short lived- having put head to gorgeous pillow... bham bham bham the loudest microphoned voices and singing ...what the...we looked out and it would seem there was a party /disco of some description just ahead of our balcony... we enquired and found out it was a private do and would go on until 11pm. Adfter 11pm hubby was on the phone again asking to have it turned down- two songs later and it did stop. Thank you. Breakfast continued in the same vein- it seemed totally chaotic, there were hundreds of folk all milling round in a feeding frenzy, the omelette chef looked really put out, in fact all the staff looked uneasy and were not approachable, we had to ask to have the table laid, had to ask for coffee- Cambodian coffee is fabulously DELICIOUS- and they do my favourite Earl Grey tea, had to ask for most things that morning, the omelette chef refused to put greens I'd requested in my omelette, when my hubby got up to get some more toast I had to grab his plate off one of the staff who was whisking everything off our table....pandemonium. Some of the guests were equally rude, I walked to get some juice and this French guy simply ignored me and collided. Ok so now how about some relaxation at the pool?- no way hose- the pool was full of really noisy kids ....I was ready to leave at this point.
What had happened is this- we were not forewarned that there was a massive group of local electronics workers in the hotel that weekend- they seemed to take over every nook and cranny and this is the reason I think for the seeming lack of care on the part of the staff who were probably all under stress- but to be fair it is their job to appear polite etc at all times- if you work in the public sector and you always have to put on a front even if you feel like screaming so it's not really an excuse but that I deduce was the reason for the lack of care.
All calmed down and became good again once the crowd of electronics people left. phew. To give you an example of how things got better- after wards I got a regular teapot of tea each breakfast, if things ran out in the buffet the staff would personally bring a fresh batch to our table,it got so that the omelette chef would prepare my omelette- WITH the greens as soon as I appeared so that I didn't have to queue !! Nothing became too much trouble- and service always with that lovely smile. The staff I think got used to us being there as we were there longer than most folk- the hotel caters for large parties at times and individual or small groups of business folk who simply stop over a couple of nights and then leave.We got to know some of the staff members and in fact when we left there was a small group of them lining the steps as our driver took us to the airport- all waving or holding their hands in Buddhist gesture- it was quite moving...
The hotel has a lot of facilities which you can use- casino,multigym,two spas,hot tubs, jacuzzis and sauna- the last three are free, there are water sports- never saw any of these as such,tennis courts, two pools and the beach area is really very pleasing, no beach bandits and well relaxing- perfect soft white sand, very clear warm waters which have no great current, all very low key and quiet. There wasn't much entertainment apart from a Philipino group- a trio who became a duo who appeared in the lobby 6 out of 7 nights- but this was low key.Nothing happened on the 7th night. They sang in English and one night when we returned from The Lemongrass restaurant we stood and sang along to some Beatles in passing- all at once a group of Taiwanese grabbed us and showed us to seats they'd prepared for us wanting us to sing along on the microphone- we obliged and it turned out to be a fun night after all- we must have had two dozen photos taken of us ! ha we'll be famous in Taiwan if nowhere else..
Well now that everyone seemed more amiable we felt more relaxed ourselves.
You can easily get a buggy to take you round the complex- it is larger than you expect- at the far end there are bungalows on stilts- currently $380 per night ,which didn't seem worth it to me as the water was stagnant and smelly- a mosquito's paradise! Apparantly these are most popular at Christmas time (when the price will rise),all were unoccupied when we were there- we spoke to one other English couple who said they had booked the bungalows but were told they couldn't use them when they arrived- I guess there has to be a certain amount of folk using them to make it worthwhile as there are separate breakfast areas etc which would all require more staffing.
The second pool is shallower than the one nearer the lobby area and very pleasant- it is in the centre of a quadrangle which is mainly used by Chinese guests- we were told that they are separated from Western guests due to cultural differences...? when I used the sun deck area there I did notice that the group sat at one table getting ratted were very loud and because it was a quadrangle the noise echoed all round. Again I think this was another large group of folk who were all together and on a mission of Chinese wisdom.
The hotel opens its facilities to non residents for a fee of something like $4.00 per day if you book for several days- so you will meet people who are not staying at The Sokha who probably stay at cheaper hotels in town and come to use the pools and gym etc.
There is a heliport-which was used once during our stay- blimey I didn't realise just how noisy the plane could be directly above you- made me think of how awful it must have been for the Cambodians during all those horrible wars they have endured...
Could not get over just how many Christmas decorations there are in all hotels in Cambodia- funny to see Santa and his reindeer in over 30 degrees Celsius ! All the supermarkets play carols which is delightful- and more than sadly can be said for England.
I'd like to end this review on a good note so I'll get the less than favourable out of the way now...
The main criticism that people make of this hotel is that it is way over priced- and I agree with this entirely- you only get two small complimentary bottles of water per day in your room- which is really not adequate for the type of heat in Cambodia- we went winter season which was meant to be cooler but found it oppressively hot at times- thank goodness there was an occasional breeze, so you have to drink fluids: to purchase a small bottle of water at the hotel cost MORE than a large litre of water at Samudera supermarket, everything you buy is doubley charged- all foods and drinks have a 10% government charge and then on top of that a 5% service charge- so believe me it can start to add up. We paid more for food here than back home in England- however the quality was good and we kept telling ourselves that we were after all on holiday....
May we suggest to the Vietnamese companies -who incidentally own the majority of hotels in Cambodia ,including all the The Sokhas, listen to what guests have to say- The Sokha could be a much better place if more care and attention was paid to the training of staff, also an increased knowledge of English- apart from the rich Cambodians who holiday here for a few days only for occasisons such as birthdays etc all guests are expected to communicate in English so teach the staff better English which will cut down on mistakes and frustrations all round- better for the customer, better for the staff, reduce this silly double pricing of all your foods and drinks- all is does is encourage guests to go out of the hotel to eat at the local restaurants at Ochuteal, Otres and Victory beaches where you can get a meal for less than a third of the price at the hotel- and if you go to the night market stalls you can eat like a king for a mere $3.00- yes unbelievable- lobsters, clams, barracuda,snakehead fish, tilapia all for less than two quid!- and a superior Australian steak will set you back $5.00- local beef is rather chewy. Angkor beers are also $3.00 and at the night market 25 cents- so how much profit are these companies making ? and how much is going back to the government ?
When there are really poor Cambodians who are uneducated and in need of asssistance- only 10 % of all Cambodians have any education at all, over 30% of residents in Cambodia are Vietnamese.If you want to do some good then read up on what goes on and what has gone on and listen to what people tell you- you will be surprised.
Anyway let me end on a good note again... yes all the reports you will read about The Deck and the Lemongrass restaurant being fabulous are true, true, true- the place is open to non residents also. We bagged a table outside on The Deck- oh bliss- to sit outside in the warmth, to be next to the lapping waves, to watch the small crabs scamper aliong the sealine, to see the small fishing village at the end of the bay, the boats out at sea catching the fresh produce, ah but the WONDERFUL sunsets- every day we had a beautiful sunset and each one different-
the setting is truly spectacular. You can also sit indoors where the decor is superb- really a very special place and worth splashing out on the food despite the realtive astronomical prices. The food is SUPERB- we only are in the evenings so cannot tell you about the tapas but we had the best seafood linguines, very fresh grilled sea bass, set seafood menue, pad thai soup, miso, we ate seafoods mostly- and duck which were all splendiferous - the fish and chips is lovely delicate batter and made with sea bass, but you can also order Australian beef steaks, hamburgers etc The food is to die for and wonderful sweets- hm yummy galangal ice cream, had we stayed longer we would have probably tried everything on the menue! Nothing was ever not up to standard. We met Shannon from Oz who works there who was most informative- hello Shannon and the Australian chef is most creative- cannot praise this restaurant enough.
So to finally conclude- at last you say ! this essay is our experience of this hotel told simply as we found it. Thank you.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rebecca M
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I stayed here at the US government rate, so I'm not sure if it is always as cheap as we paid, but if so, this has to be the best value luxury resort in the world. We were warmly greeted by the staff, in English. On arrival to my gorgeous room, I find a plate of chocolates with my name written in chocolate drizzle. We had an excellent dinner at the deck and then it was off to bed. My room did appear to have some termites, but since termites don't tend to bother people, I barely noticed them. The thing I couldn't not get over was how great the price was for this luxury resort. Granted, it was about 4 times the price of the guest houses, which is probably well over the heads of the locals, but fits nicely into a tight western budget. Breakfast was outstanding as well with a combination of eastern and western food. My only wish was that our business trip had allowed us to stay longer. Theh pool was gorgeous and the beach was practically empty with perfect sand and water.

Room Tip: I'm guessing ocean view is the best, but I had a garden view which was lovely to look at