“Definitely not 5-star - bring RAID”
Review of Sokha Beach Resort

Sokha Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 74 Hotels in Sihanoukville
Hong Kong, China
“Definitely not 5-star - bring RAID”
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

After staying in a lovely hotel in Siem Reap (Shinta Mani Club), i was not happy to end my Cambodia vacation staying at Sokha Beach Resort. The only saving grace of this resort is it's the fact that it has it's own private beach and it seems to be the best beach in the area. The resort is huge and considering we visited off peak, the service is close to terrible, with staff not looking happy to be of service, even making faces or almost refusing to grant the simplest requests (like not to put oil in my omelette - the cook in the egg station literally rolled his eyes when I asked him not to put oil in the pan). The thing that destroyed it for me are the cockroaches in the room -- I rented the Executive Suite (2 bedrooms and a living room) -- and I had 2 cockroach incidents. I absolutely hate them and could hardly sleep well those 4 nights we were there. My friends were in the lakeview deluxe rooms, and also had cockroach problems. I know it's the rainy season and probably the time for these pests to be around, but I am from the Philippines where cockroaches are plenty. But if you clean well, there won't be cockroaches. I complained about this within minutes from checking in bec I had the first incident as soon as we entered the room. But 2 days after, it happened again. The musty smell alone of the rooms already gave me the feeling that there were pests in the rooms. I heard the resort is only 10 years old. I thought it was built in the 80s the way it looked. I have to say I was not happy staying here. Even the main breakfast area was soooo musty that we opted to eat outdoors than in the airconditioned dining area. It felt like there were pests there too!

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Triccie S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
whitehaven
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We stayed here for 10 nights in a club suite room ,the room was very large and everything you needed which included a lovely view looking out to the beach and sea .Breakfasts were buffet style with a good choice .We also ate in both of the hotels restaurants and both were very good ,they were more expensive than the restaurants in Sihanoukville but on par with hotel restaurants .We always used the pool in front of the main reception and sometimes we had it to ourselves ,the only complaint about the pool is ,that at weekend locals pay to use it and at certain times ie early morning and late afternoon it can be very busy .Having said this our holiday was not spoilt in any way .All the staff were friendly and gave great service .we would defiantly stay here again if we went back to Sihanoukville

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank lovetravel044
Germany
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Obviously, this resort was not as good as 5 stars standard.
- Location: good, you can take a tuk tuk to downtown for 3$.
- Staff: Nice and professional, but some of them can not speak well.
- Facility: My room was not so clean, I could feel the dirts as I walked barefoot on the floor. As we checked in, they gave us 3 keys and two of them were broken, we couldn't open the door by them. Well, every thing else was perfect, nothing to complain about. Ah, Idk why but the staff always cleaned my room at 6 pm, I told him I didn't need a room clean at that time and asked him to come back later as I went out but he couldn't speak English, therefore I must stay there watch him cleaning the room. It was kind of awkward.
- Pool: there are 2 pools which are very normal, you can find these kind of pool at every 3-stars hotels!
- They have their own beach which is quite nice and clean. Have a sit at Lemon grass bar and view the beach!
- Food: Delicious breakfast buffet with Eastern and Western dishes.
I don't recommend you to have a meal at Champa Cafe which was ridiculously high priced. The deck is better, nice view, good food and acceptable price. Book in advance for an outside table!
- You can travel around by a buggy but it takes years to call a buggy to your room so you'd better walk.

There was nothing much to complain, I did have a pleasant trip. I just expected more from a 5-stars resort like this.

Room tip: Choose the room which is near the reception area. You have small pool but it just takes you a short walk to any services in resort.

Stayed May 2014
4 Thank Cazt T
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We were expecting a cheesy place but were we wrong. For such a large resort, we were impressed with the quality of the staff and most of the amenities. Travelling with an 8 year old boy, we loved being able to spend most of our time at the Beach which was very clean. The resort has recently commenced a games room which was an added bonus for our boy even though it was a bit sparse.
We very much enjoyed the food at this resort and thought it was very good quality.

Room Tip: Make sure the a/c compressors arent located too close by.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank hongyoung
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Very welcoming and respectful staff. The room was great, spacious, comfortable bed, good size flat screen tv and a nice bathroom. The two big swimming pools provide a different environment if one pool is too busy whilst the gym is amazing (has is all). The deck (restaurant/bar) on the beach is fantastic -great for sunsets and good happy hour cocktails. The only negative feedback would be the morning breakfast, there was no space to sit and eat. The hotel needs to provide more tables in order to accommodate their high demand. Other than that the food was great, tasty and lots of options. All in all very good hotel indeed !

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank AB1O
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed two nights in a villa on the lagoon facing the beach/ocean. Villa was very nice with a huge comfortable bed, soaker tub and an amazing bathroom. Bathroom had clear "plexi" roof, so when it rained you could hear it on the roof. Made for excellent sleep. Beach was clean and well serviced with beach chairs/cabanas etc. Service overall was outstanding (tipping helps!). breakfast buffet was decent, but would have liked additional western fare. Was the favorite part of my visit to Cambodia.

Room Tip: Based on previous reviews, I would upgrade to a villa if possible
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank mike h
Australia
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

True, it's the largest hotel in Sihanoukville, but far from the best. When we arrived we were shown to our room and given no information about the hotel, it's facilities, or the area, very disappointing. Service is really slow and painful, if you would like I place an order by the pool it beach you have to seek out the staff, they won't come to you.
The grounds of the hotel are grand and beautiful, but the rooms and restaurants are in desperate need of a refurbishment.
Sam at the front desk was the only helpful staff member - thank you!
It was low season so I really hate to think how they would cope in high season.
Give this place a miss if you can.

Stayed July 2014