“Safer than average”
Review of Sea View Villa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sihanoukville
Sea View Villa
Ranked #28 of 74 Hotels in Sihanoukville
Phnom Penh
“Safer than average”
Reviewed 16 March 2013

I went to Cambodia as a solo traveller woman and encountered crime, theft and scam in Phnom Penh, material losses forced me to shorten my trip which was scheduled till end of May. When I first arrived in Sihanoukville I had to rush out of the place I had booked and paid online for the first three nights, due to unsafety and move to NSVV. My initial idea was to book at NSVV since the beginning, but they were fully booked on those days.

I have to say that if I hadnt found this place I would have left Sihanoukville immediately. There was nowhere else there where I felt safe. It is one minute walk from the beach, shops, restaurants and the hotel restaurant itself is excellent, so no need to take tuk tuks or cross dangerous roads. There is a non-prostitute non-drug policy and they have cameras and security guard during the night, my room had window grids. Even though, beware, everywhere in Cambodia there are cases of theft through window grids using hooks from outside. Break-ins in hotel rooms during night sleep are common too, so a place like this adds extra security. Rooms are in a building, not huts or bungalows which are easily breakable and should be avoided at all costs.

I stayed on the top floor for the first two nights, later on the ground floor in a single room for almost 18 nights. In the second floor I couldnt catch the wifi, so I bought a Y5 account which didnt work all the time. This seems to be an issue everywhere in Cambodia and being a freelancer on the internet I had work problems there. The room had no A/C only fan, but it was not necessary as it was fresher there, however if you stay on the top floor you should go for A/C. We had frequent power cuts in the hotel and the sink in my bathroom had a leakage problem, also room light was very dim in the evenings, but you cant have everything and in my case safety was first priority. Also being solo traveller it is one of the few places which has single rooms, so it avoids paying double accommodation fees. The room was excellent for the price anyway, in PP you get real dumps for three times that price. Plus they cleaned everyday and staff was quite nice. Oh, there is no TV set, I never watch it, but this may annoy some other people. Also from my room I could hear loud music till late night but I really enjoyed it, though I understand this is not the case for everyone. The rooftop terrace is beautiful and really nice to chill out.

The restaurant is excellent, I only tried fish, vegetables and deserts as I dont have meat and milk. It is creative cooking. Also the BBQ fish places on the beach or up the road were excellent.

I didnt go to Otres beach or the islands, mainly for safety reasons and avoided leaving the hotel alone after dark except some days where a friend was there and talking to strangers. That is, NSVV was a safe, cheap, sunny and good food base for me to spend my last days before I could leave the country. Apart from beach and good food in some places and diving in the islands, Sihanoukville has not many options. Nightlife is limited to 2 or 3 bars full of teenagers or spots for tourists looking for cheap sex. There are more bars, but empty of customers. No nightclubs at all, I mean the real nightclub with good DJs and party scene.

If you book a minivan or bus with pick up service, make sure to check some hours ago that they will pick you up. I booked this with an agency and they forgot to pick me up, had to go in person with the luggage and insist, their boss gave me a lift and the van waited for me, otherwise I would have missed my flight in Phnom Penh.

Maybe all this sounds like the newbie paranoid traveller, but I can say I ve been living in Asia most of the year since 2010, and it is the first time that such incidents happen to me. Moreover, it is not an isolated case, absolutely everyone I know who has been travelling or living in Cambodia had some incident during the last month.

Room Tip: If you are on the top floor go for A/C, back rooms are noisier if you dont like hearing the music
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Kelisi

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Cork
Reviewed 10 February 2013 via mobile

We had been staying in Sakal Guesthouse for 8 nights but with 2 nights remaining they were fully booked with a pre-booked tour so we came down the road to "Sea View Villa".
Quick note on Sakan though it's not registered on Tripadvisor it is on Agoda and averages $22 a night with TV, WiFi, Air-Con and great beds so well worth a stay!

"Sea View Villa" is in a great location a stone's throw from the beach. The restaurant downstairs is excellent and the service is good which is definitely one of its redeeming features.
The rooms are a little disappointing at $18 we have definitely had better. There is good wifi which is great but no tv or air-con and you can feel the springs in the bed. The major turn off for us though, was the smell in the room (smelt like urine) and just didn't have a very clean feel to it. If we return to Sihanoukville though the staff aren't as pleasant we will still stay at Sakal in terms of value for money, amenities and cleanliness.

• Stayed February 2013
Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed 13 December 2012

We arrived late in to Sihanoukville and basically just picked the first spot we found. There were only non-AC rooms left but it didn't really turn out to matter because the power in town was out most of the evening. The hotel staff was very helpful and let us use the phone to arrange some transportation for the following day. We didn't get a chance to eat at the restaurant because of the power issues but I have heard it is good. The room was not very nice and had a bug problem. We left a bag on the bed while out at the beach and returned to find it swarming with small ants. For the price and location it is hard to complain.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2012

Little gem of a place. Has a great atmosphere and the food is wonderful - there's an exciting menu, great choice and wonderful service. Lovely seating area at the front of the hotel with comfortable seats and extensive selection of drinks including some lovely wines. Breakfast is also a treat - you must try the breakfast granola it's to die for! Can't recommend highly enough :)

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2012 via mobile

Our first of 6 nights was in a double fan room through booking confusion not choice. The room was ok, clean enough the bathroom had a night time ant problem though. The twin a/c was very spacious, room itself clean, a/c good but the pillow was like a sack stuffed with socks! I'm not one to expect home bedding but sleeping on balls of something is pushing it! The downstairs room we had backed onto the kitchen. We are not party animals, in fact consumed no alcohol all week here so the constant noise all evening and from about 7am was quite bothersome. The chopping etc can't be helped but the conversation level of staff does not need to be that loud! The room overlooked what can only be the dumping ground of this place. The bathroom was narrow and the sink waste pipe drained directly on to the shower drain, the pipe must be mouldy because the stink from using the sink tap is hideous and black chunks are often seen floating out of the pipe. Apart from when we switched rooms our bedding and towels were not changed the whole stay. Even when the towels became a rusty colour. There clothe laundry is worth it thou! Best laundry on our travels so far!
The service was poor. The Cambodian guy that checked us in and banged on our door 10 mins before our pick up should have arrived was so uninterested in anything other that watching stuff on his lap top. When we arrived it really seemed like we had offended him personally by wanting to check in! We had to ask 3 seperate staff members about a bus to Phnom Penh before we could get any information. We had one dinner and one breakfast in the restaurant and disliked both but this is probably a personal thing.
I get that for this area and this close to the beach the price is good but there should be a disclaimer saying you are paying for location and not much else! It seems they are aiming above the average backpacker but in an area where the clientele are mostly backpackers. Plus the beach is hideous and we went to Otres beach everyday.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Catherine F
Seattle
Reviewed 27 November 2012

We stayed in Sihanoukville for ten days. Our first four days where at a different guesthouse and we happily changed to Sea View Villa. Bang for your buck it is the best guesthouse you are going to get.

Rooms: The rooms are large and have everything your looking for (except a fridge) and they clean every day.

Location: They are ten steps from the beach in the Golden Lion are but the club music is pretty faint.

Service: This is where they take the hit. They want you to leave your key every time you exit the guesthouse. The only problem is to actually hand it to a person will take up half your day. The one Cambodian guy that is at occasionally at the desk is uninterested and the owners are oblivious.

For more information about Sihanoukville, copy and paste the link below into your browser:

aroundtheworldtripping.com/2012/11/25/sihanoukville/

2 Thank The_Gospel
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 26 November 2012

We went here after checking out of our hotel across the road for lunch.
You will get the best sandwiches on Sihanoukville here.
I Wish we had found it sooner.
I cant speak for the accomodation but the bar area is great, Nice food & drink and very reasonable priced.

Very friendly staff and owner.
Well worth a visit for lunch if you are down the beach or are staying in a different hotel.

David & Jeannette UK