“Decent Hotel. Nice Isolated Beach. Far from Downtown. ”

Independence Hotel, Resort & Spa
Ranked #11 of 80 Hotels in Sihanoukville
Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

Hotel Location:
- I took a bus from Phnom Penh to Sihanoukville, and then a tuk tuk from bus station to the hotel costing $5 for a 10min ride. Did emailed hotel in advance and asked about cost. Driver didn't overcharge me.
- Hotel is far away from food outlets and Downtown unless you use the infrequent free shuttle bus or pay for a tuk tuk to Downtown ($5). Not advise to walk at night because there are no street lamps in most parts of the roads. However you do have the advantage of being away from all street vendors, touts, beggars etc.

Check In & Check Out: On arrival, I was disappointed there were no bellboys standing outside to help with my luggage. After a long bus ride (6 hours), it would be nice to at least get a welcome drink and wet towel. Seconds later, someone came up with one! Check-in & out were smooth and fast. No issue.

Bedroom: Stayed at 509. Suite is huge and has two massive windows. One overlooking the roof of hotel bar and other overlooks the hotel pool. But if you look further out, you see the ocean.

Bathroom: Has a bath tub and shower. I really like the shower pressure.

Breakfast: They kind of provide an international style buffet. I fully recommend the crispy bacons.

Spa: Had a one-hour crystal facial ($57.18 including tax). Very expensive in comparison to other places on the high street but I love the surroundings and each treatment room is huge and has a view of the ocean. Definitely treat yourself!

Lifts: During my 4 days, one of the lifts was constantly out of action. Hotel wasn't hugely busy so no waiting for me. They did try to fix it once but broken down again.

Free PC: Two PCs with internet connection in their Business Centre and completely free! Remember to clear the cookies, cache et after use in case your personal details are saved.

Suggestions/Tips:
- Cant seem to find the DO NOT DISTURB sign anywhere, although I did see one guest room having one.
- If you can ride a motorbike, recommend you go and hire one because it will definitely save money going around town.
- Hired a tuk tuk for half day via Ana Travel on Serendipity Beach Road. His name is Mr Setha and he speaks OK English. I told him in advance the places I wanted to see/go. It costed me $30 and I bought him lunch (my own decision). A bit costly but he was trying to make a living and I wasn't going to argue over $5. He got rid of some beggars while I was walking around Wat Leu which was nice.
- Recommend you eat outside of hotel because they are lots of nice and cheaper restaurants. Use the free shuttle bus and then a tuk tuk coming back.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank m_smlam

Reviewed 3 December 2013

I'm staying at the Independence Hotel right now, and considering the price would rate it as average. It's very large, and although the staff are very friendly and there are a lot of them. My husband and I are in the main building, which has a bit of a sixties institutional, impersonal feel to it. The rooms are updated and modern, but without balconies. Also the last reviewer was right, there is no mattress cover and the sheets don't fit the bed, they just hang over the top a couple of inches. By morning I'm pretty sure I'll end up sleeping directly on the mattress, not the best. The beach is very nice and I haven't found staff not speaking English to be a problem.

Room Tip: If booking in the main building ask for a room in an upper floor.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 November 2013

It was magnificent! Simply perfectly! There was to have a rest in your hotel very pleasant a silence, purity, good service. Simply good fortune! And massage it is simple pleasure! the one who wants to escape from city noise - your hotel simply ideal vacation spot. It will be possible to come every year to have a rest to your hotel if to regular customers there are discounts.I thank.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 November 2013

We had high expectations when we booked this hotel and were a bit disappointed compared to others we stayed in. Staff were friendly but a lot did not have a good command of english. Our room was in the new blocks which was a five minute walk to the hotel facilities and was quiet. The patio doors were not very secure so we were glad of the safe. Our biggest disappointment was the bed…..there were no mattress covers and the pillows had seen better days and the sheets did not fit!! Not what you would expect from a Smart hotel. The decor was tired but clean. We ate in the Ocean Terrace restaurant which was good, however the best food we had was from the beach cafes further along the beach and for half the price with great friendly service. When were were there many guests were eating along the beach and not in the hotel. Too many opportunities are being missed by the hotel. The shuttle bus to town was good but why did it not run in the evening to allow guests to eat in town???? We were told lack of demand ….The best thing about this hotel was having a private beach which meant we were not hassled by traders, however there was a distinct lack of sun beds not helped by guests reserving them early in the day! There was a lack of atmosphere and no real buzz about the place. Definitely room for improvement. The spa was the best thing about this hotel by far.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

We stayed here for just over a week in Nov 2013. Upon arrival we were warmly greeted with a refreshing drink and a quick introduction of the hotel. When we got to our room (the sea pavilion suite) we were hot, tired and just wanted to have a refreshing shower (after a plane trip and bus trip we were exhausted). But.... We had no towels... We called reception to ask them if they could please drop us down some towels. Half an hour later they arrived. Ok no big deal right? Then after we were ready for dinner we called again to see if the buggy could pick us up and take us to the main part of the hotel so we could have dinner here (by this time it was dark and we had no idea where we were so we could not walk / no idea how to get back to the reception of the hotel as we are a five min walk from it). They took another half hour... We gave up and walked aimlessly around in the dark before we found our way. The next two days after our room was made up we still found that we had no towels restocked so we had to call the reception each time and play the waiting game (of at least half an hour each time) before we could go anywhere. This also meant that we missed the free shuttle bus into town twice as we were waiting to get ready so we had to pay a tuk tuk to drive us instead.
The room was in a lovely location overlooking the ocean, can not fault the room itself.
The staff, although communicating in English was often difficult, were polite and always said hello.
The restaurant here overlooks the ocean too which is very nice at night, food was also very nice and service was quick.
Breakfast was fantastic with lots of variety.
The bed was fantastic too, we had the best sleep we have had in Cambodia in this bed!!
All in all we enjoyed our stay but it could have been better, especially as we were paying double of what we were paying for other hotels in Cambodia and getting just as good service there..

Room Tip: The spa pavilion was great location overlooking the ocean, would recommend this room if you want a b...
Reviewed 25 November 2013

After two 3 day city breaks in Siem Reap & Phnom Penh and truly a wonderful time, I was ready for the beach! Independence Resort was just the ticket! It was a 4 hour taxi ride from Phnom Penh so we were tired, even still a little jet lagged. On arrival Peter Sarath greeted us and after the preliminaries he showed us to our 'sea view' suite. However our only concern was that we could see the sea but only after a very careful gaze through the rather dense shrubbery and trees albeit very nice!!! We very politely made it clear that we were not impressed with the seaview, that we had booked this trip 6 some months prior and therefore we expected to have a room that reflects our booking.

Peter informed he would try and assist our request and asked us to wait 10 minutes in the room. When Peter returned he had another key for another room! When we got there we were shocked to see the option offered! This room was far beyond our expectations, this was a Premier Villa we would have only dreamed about occupying, I hope the photo's verify this?! The villa was spacious, clean, well kept and had a fantastic wet-room that was so large it was a room within a room! The view out of the large bay window was simply stunning. All that was before us was the Gulf of Thailand, breathtaking!!! Out of the next window was a veranda with balcony and a bath! I'm still taken aback, simply, this was the best room I have had the pleasure to use from all the hotels in all the places that I have visited!

The food, staff and beach were 1st class. Being greeted all day everyday by staff who saw you with a broad smile, hands clasped and a respectful bow of the head is truly humbling! The staff are so nice that your perfect visit is just made all the more pleasant. To top what was already a brilliant stay we were invited to celebrate the resorts 50 anniversary bash!!! Food, drink & entertainment all night and free!

I have noted from other reviews that there is some concern about staff being unable to communicate 'good enough' in English? I have to say I was in Cambodia and therefore expect some communication difficulties not only because their English is not as good as mine but also because my Khmer is not as good as theirs!

To top matters we personally greeted by the Secretary of State for tourism, So Mara! So was very interested to hear our views on Cambodia. The level of respect you receive regardless of 'rank' is so humbling.

In essence this is a brilliant resort, very polite and accommodating staff, we will certainly return! Thanks Peter you were fantastic, very good luck with your future.

Room Tip: We did not use the spa. Although the 1st room they showed us was not quite what we had booked it...
Reviewed 25 November 2013

The Independence Hotel has a beautiful golf resort feel to it when you first arrive.
The hotel itself is quite nice. The staff were civil & polite, but not really very friendly or welcoming.
The resort is huge & takes up a lot of land along the coast, the rooms are really spread out & I found it was nice to walk around to go get something to eat or go to the beach, they offer to pick you up in the buggy if you don't want to walk though. The gardens are beautifully maintained. The room we had was modern, clean & simple, but had a musty kind of smell to it which I wasn't too keen on, perhaps the rooms could do with some airing out from time to time. The wifi was okay, but a bit patchy sometimes. This is understandable though being out on the coast.
It's great having the private beach, I liked the fact that there were only a few people on it. After having travelling around SE Asia for the last 6 months, a quiet beach to me was like paradise & the staff do come & check to see if you want drinks every now & then!
The breakfast selection was large but of an average quality. The food at the restaurant overlooking the beach was quite nice, but a tad pricey. In saying that, the service was very very good.
The spa is wonderful, albeit very expensive. They do use expensive products, such as Dermalogica, so this partly justifies it, but it wasn't far off what I would pay at home in Australia for the same thing.
Overall, it's a nice place, but has a kind of impersonal feel to it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
PreahSihanouk, General Manager at Independence Hotel, Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear Kureah-san,

Thank you for staying with us and for your constructive comments regarding your visit.
As per your observations, refresh the room in advance of arrival and keep good odor in room, and staff training are important matters to improve.

We hope you will visit us again and please write to us if we can be at any assistance to you for your next visit to Cambodia. .

Sincerely yours,