“Classy place with great private beach” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Independence Hotel, Resort & Spa

Independence Hotel, Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 72 Hotels in Sihanoukville
London, United Kingdom
“Classy place with great private beach”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

We spent one night here on our honeymoon. A really special hotel, big but full of 60s glamour. Expensive but your money gets you a great room and 5* service. Our room was huge, with an amazing wet room, bath inside and outside! The beach was also lovely, clean, quiet and easy to swim, very different from the main beaches in sihanoukville. Also a knock out breakfast buffet and a good dinner of fish amok too. Not close to town, but a place to linger.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CressF

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cambodia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

I have been using this hotel for some time and over the last year it has declined in its cleanliness the rooms are in much need of a re-refurbishment this is due I am sure to poor cheep construction and finishes away from the main building...On a positive note the restaurant served well prepared food and breakfast catered for everyone.
I also found that its hard to get a mobile signal even in the business center...

Room Tip: The rooms are tired and they need to train their cleaning staff.... so for me until I see an improve...
1 Thank Kit148
BKIHGM4, General Manager at Independence Hotel, Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Dear Madam / Sir, (Kitya_11)

First we would like to thank you for staying with us and for taking time to write to us your comments.

Naturally we are deeply sorry to hear that your experience was not good as you expected.

We value your comments with great interest because it is the best way to improve our services.
Our teams and concerned department have been briefed. Appropriate actions have been taken and our associates have been trained again.

We do hope that you will give us another chance when you will be back again in Sihanouk Ville for your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact me in person at gm@independencehotel.net

Thank you for your attention.

With our sincerest regards,

Independence Hotel, Sihanouk Ville, Cambodia
Bendigo, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

We loved this retreat on the beach.
Floor to ceiling windows in the hotel rooms overlook the beach.
Rooms are spacious and modern.
The resort facilities are great. Our teenagers loved the pool, snooker, games room, tennis court and of course walking along a private beach.
The sunset restaurant is a perfect location to watch the sunset over drinks.
Staff are very friendly and the breakfasts are great.
The walks in the gardens around the property are very interesting and it is a nice touch to have information about some of the local plants.

Room Tip: All rooms in the main building have floor to ceiilng windows overlooking the beach.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

As I approached this hotel by road, there was nothing in what I saw that suggested this was a great place to spend a night in. But first impressions can be delightfully wrong.

I loved the fact that the management has maintained this hotel to a similar, if not, the same level of five star service and attention. The landscaping was pleasant, the rooms clean, and the service was nothing to complain about. We didn't want a double room and our request for a twin was met speedily without any fuss.

I liked the private and uncrowded beach. The lift down to it was a brilliant idea and tasteful. The outdoor section of the restaurant was perfect for a very memorable breakfast.

When I checked out, I told the Front Desk Manager how much I enjoyed my stay. It was a sincere compliment, and I'm definitely coming back!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Stockholm, Sverige
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

To be honest, it is the best hotel at Sihanoukville: private beach, extremely clean rooms and great food. The staff is helpful and professional. Even if the hotel is further away from the city they have a shuttle free of charge running frequently to the centre. We enjoyed our stay a lot after coming from Otres beach.
We definitely recommend this hotel if you stay around Sihanoukville due to the service, clean rooms, private beach and the staff fix everything you require
We tried massage at the spa and it was fantastic!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

I spent one night at the Independence Hotel just outside Sihanoukville. The property is gorgeous - rooms are spacious and nicely decorated, views of the beach from the big picture windows, large western-style bathrooms, all the modern conveniences including cable TV is many languages. The bed was comfy and sleep quality was good. Spacious and well-landscaped grounds right on one of the most beautiful beaches in Cambodia, a large pool and patio area, several restaurant and bar choices, The breakfast buffet was included in the price and was an impressive spread of meats, cheeses, breads, fruits, hot dishes - mostly western favorites but a few Asian specialties tossed in. However this was the only good meal (read on).

Unfortunately my stay here was marred by service which was either non-existent or frustratingly slow. This began with the drop-off by my airport shuttle at gate and waiting while a small golf cart made two trips to bring the six of us dropped off and our luggage to the reception. We were all seated in the lobby and our passports collected for check-in. A fresh fruit drink was offered and then the wait began. Dispite the fact that there was no other activity at the desk and there were about four people working the desk, it took 30 minutes to get a key.
My next set of frustrations involved trying to get some information about the ferries to Koh Rong and the schedule. No one could give me any information and this seems like a pretty common questions.
My next set of frustration occured at the Sunset beach restaurant. I entered, waited and finally seated myself. I was not offered a menu so after 10 minutes I went and found a menu, No there were only two other diners in the restaurant at the time so you cannot say that the stay was spread too thin, they were just not doing their jobs. I finally ordered the shrimp and green papaya salad. I could not finish it because the shrimp and the dressing tasted off. I was joined by a friend who ordered the house special fish dish. She complained it had no taste at all.
The next morning, I asked again at the desk for info on the ferries to the island and this time got some information which later proved to be incorrect. I also asked about the possibility of extending my stay one day and was told to take a seat and wait. I waited and waited while the crew at the desk looked for a manager who might be able to answer my question. I finally left in frustration.
For the price you pay for this place ($130 a night for my room), I expected better. At the other end of the beach is the Holiday Palace Hotel which has equally gorgeous rooms and better service for $30-$40 a night. My advice is not to stay at the Independence.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank expat326
Dear Madam, dear Sir, (expat326)

Once again thank you very much for staying with us and also for taking time to give us your valuable comments.

And we are deeply sorry to hear that your experience was not as good as you expected.

Your feedback and comments have been communicated to all our managers and all departments for immediate actions and train again our staff.
Our aim and ambition are to always exceed the expectation of our valued guests.

Please do not hesitate to contact me in person at gm@independencehotel.net

Best regards,

General Manager - Independence Hotel
Sihanouk Ville, Cambodia
Email: GM@independencehotel.net
Stockholm, Sverige
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

The great thing about this place is the beautiful rooms and the nice private beach. Unfortunately it ends there. Don't let the friendly smiles and hand palms put together fool you, the service is really bad. When we arrived our room wasn't ready although it was after checkin-time. We had to remind them to clean the room several times. Once we were out of the room from 8 in the morning to 4 pm with the "please clean" sign on the door nob and the room was not cleaned when we came back. When going to the reception to complain I was asked to sit down and wait for the room to be cleaned immediately. After half an hour it wasn't made up yet. At the quite expensive restaurant at the beach we didn't get all the things we asked for even once. We had to remind them of everything. Our daughter got her (undercooked) tenderloin steak 20 minutes after all other food had arrived (including her fries...). Despite all previous comments here on tripadvisor the bed sheets were too small. Two out of three machines in the gym did not function or functioned poorly, and the spa is very expensive 3 times as expensive as e.g its equivalent at our (4 star) hotel in Phnom Penh. But the most annoying thing was that at the nice beach there were not enough sunbeads. If we came down to the beach at 9 am they were all taken. I wonder what the hotel management's priorities are when e.g. the cutlery at the beach restaurant is quite expensive german stainless steel but they can't invest in some more plastic sunbeds? So to conclude, if you go here, don't pay too much and don't expect 4-star service

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Madam, dear Sir, (Sicily_lover_13)

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us.

Naturally, we are deeply regretful to hear about the experience you had with our services throughout your stay.
We completely understand your frustration due to the lack of communication and immediate responses with our staff and for the quality of our services.

Your feedback and comments have been communicated to our Restaurant, Front Office, Housekeeping, Spa & Recreation managers and all departments for immediate actions and training.

Once again, we are most thankful that you have taken the time to give us constructive feedback about your stay, as it helps us to constantly improve.

We truly hope that you will return to us during your next visit to Sihanouk Ville, for which I will personally see to that you experience the highest quality of services in our resort.

Yours sincerely,