“Complete Indifference”

Ranked #69 of 234 Sihanoukville B&B and Inns
Sihanoukville, Cambodia
“Complete Indifference”
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I planned to stay 2 weeks because of the nice location BUT.... the first day, all day no power so no fan, no water, couldn't even flush the toilet. No generator, I thought but in the evening when the owners wanted power they turned on an ancient noisy generator. Generator was apparently not warranted for mere paying guests .
I am am elderly lady travelling alone and was shocked to wake at 2.30 am to find my door open and a man standing beside my bed. He pushed me , grabbed my Ipad and cash and ran.
The owners had gone to their home, I was completely alone.
I managed to eventually find the so called security guards who spoke no english, and must have been asleep. The manager woke up and decided I must have left the door open!!!!!!!!! Apparently the thief got his hand through a barred window and reached the door bolt and opened it.
It was 7am before the owner turned up, advised me it was a waste of time to call the police, offerred no sympathy or concern, not even a coffee to calm my shattered nerves and finally actually charged me for the room. I still have nightmares about my stay at "Tranquility" and the callous unconcern of the owners.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank jill c

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Polish first
sf
Reviewed 9 March 2013

Was surprised at some of the reviews. They may have fixed some of these complaints. I found the cleanliness, price, food, service, room all in top shape. I'd stayed all over Southeast Asia. Really appreciated the place a bunch. (if owner gets this message, please email me? Havadess@yahoo.com I left something there that may be sent to me in regular mail, if not too much trouble? Thanks)
And I really am sincere about the possibly improved quality of the place.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 5 February 2013

A friend and I planned to stay here a week for a post-Christmas holiday and only lasted a night! The electricity was out in most of the area, but this guesthouse was one of only a few who didn't have a generator. When we asked for a torch, we got a rude and offensive response before they provided one. Because the power was out, we didn't have running water. They never offered a bucket or any other condolences. Since we had paid extra money for a room with air con, we assumed they would at least provide a small discount upon checkout. Instead, the manager seemed to blame us for his troubles. The guesthouse is also located near several bars and clubs, and there's no really quiet part of this beach. If you're looking for tranquility, try Otres Beach or one of the islands. The management was extremely rude and the rooms were over-priced.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Faith C

Travellers are raving about these Sihanoukville hotels

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed 27 December 2012

No electricity (fan, AC, lights) or water (for flushing the toilet, washing hands, shower) for the 24 hours I stayed. When I asked for a torch the owner was rude and it was like getting water from a stone. The staff did not proactively give advice about when electricity would be fixed or offer a bucket of water to flush the toilet or sponge bath. Every other guesthouse in the area had a generator. When I checked out and asked for a discount on the room (I’d booked the most expensive one for AC) the owner was irrationally aggravated and refused. I then checked in to the place next door – much nicer, a fraction of the price and with a generator. Also I’m not sure why people have posted that it is at the quiet end of the beach. This may have been true in the past but it’s definitely the noisy end now.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Visitor98761
Barry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Two of us stayed in a deluxe air con bungalow. The beds were comfortable and the guesthouse offered a daily cleaning service. The pillows were a bit lumpy and the air con dripped a bit. The TV had seen better days but overall a quiet comfortable place to stay.

The restaurant was a great place to eat (especially breakfast or lunch). They did a really decent breakfast and chilli, as well as a roast on a Sunday with all the British condiments.. top marks for the brown sauce!

The guesthouse is right on the beach and the family running it were friendly. I'd recommend this.

Room Tip: We had to stay in a fan room on the last night (as we extended our stay). This was pretty hot and un...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 29 July 2012

The one plus point of this place was the restaurant, the food was very nice. Otherwise, we were very disappointed with this hotel, to the extent that we checked out 2 nights early of a 5 night stay, with no refund.
It should be noted that none of the hotels along this beach should describe themselves as quiet or "tranquil". The noise from neighbouring bars went on until 4am. The British manager was pleasant but we thought that he needed to make an inspection of the rooms in his hotel.
Our room was falling to pieces, the ceiling had many cracks which grew in size during our stay. Room-cleaning was cursory. No water bottles supplied at any time. The room was large with a very basic bathroom. Rusty hammock frame on balcony, no hammock. The electrical supply in the town is prone to blackouts but there was no haste to switch on the generator and we were unable to use aircon as it "overloaded" and tripped the electric off - this was not a problem in the next two hotels we stayed in this area.
We had the 'deluxe seaview', as we were travelling with a child. As the resort was described as "beachfront" we expected the accomodation to be right on the beach. Instead we were well at the rear of the resort, with the view of the corrugated iron roofs of the bungalows and the restaurant and the sea was beyond that (so ok, you could see the sea but you get what I mean I hope). None of the rooms are beachfront, they are all behind the restaurant which is set on a wide walkway with the "beach"in front of it (all rocks).
As we walked up the road and into a much nicer place which was QUIET, spotless, new fittings, had a lovely pool, at 30% less than we paid (Coolabah), we had to wonder, did the previous reviewers actually stay in the same place?

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Emz2011
Dorchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Great rooms, well priced with great food and great service. Definately the best place to stay, right on the beach, in Sihanouk Ville.

• Stayed April 2012