All reviews his wife record player other guests british style interesting conversation british rock traditional english breakfast home away from home following morning japanese food chris marmite humour stories beatles hoshino tokyo
Reviewed 13 July 2017

My wife and I decided to treat ourselves to an early 21st anniversary celebration by coming to this hotel. We'd come across it a few years before, having stayed in a hotel just across from it, which was without a bar. We headed towards Wellies then, and were given the exceptional treat of a warm welcome by its owner, Chris. Much happy drinking and conversation followed.

This last trip to Karuizawa was our best, as we became guests of Wellies and of the splendid owner and his superb staff. Chris had gone out of his way to deal with a request from my father that some Champagne and Cadbury's chocolate be placed, without our knowing, in our room on our arrival. My thanks to Chris for agreeing to this unusual request are profound, as I know he must have gone out of his way to do it.

Everything about our stay was magnificent. The splendour of the Hotel and its decor were welcomely British, and the dining, at both dinner and breakfast, was exceptional, given Chris's commitment to creating great food via his unique 'smoke room' and his attention to detail, down to the last delicious tomato, sourced locally.

The hotel and its services are wonderful enough without Chris, the owner, being there, but we were lucky enough to have him there during our stay, and to be able to discuss and natter together over copious numbers of drinks!

It is without hesitation that I recommend this superbly located and beautifully managed luxurious getaway to any who want a real slice of British sausage and bacon for their residence, with the best company possible.

On leaving, I missed it already. We have already threatened Chris the owner with a return visit.

Faultless.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank seannoeigo
Chris P, Owner at Hotel Wellies, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2017

Wow, thank you so much for a great review and being such fun guests who only inflicted a mild hangover on me. I am so happy that you enjoyed your anniversary with us. Sorting out the champagne was no trouble. Sorry it blew up and we lost a precious 20%! I am pretty sure we will meet again. Thanks again, Chris

Reviewed 17 May 2017 via mobile

Chris and Noriko provided excellent service complemented by incredibly stylish modern English decor and delicious homemade cooking. The attention to detail that has been put into making your Wellies experience complete is astonishing. Hailing originally from the U.K. and having lived in Japan for over a decade, for me Hotel Wellies became a home-away-from-home for the regrettably short one night of our stay. We immediately connected with Chris and his wry sense of humor that made us feel right at home among the boutique interior and classic furnishings. I particularly liked the wood burning stove that was lit much to my delight as we enjoyed tea and refreshments upon my arrival. Chris supplemented our evening meal with welcome and interesting conversation about the history of the building and Wellies as well as inviting us to use his extensive collection of classic LPs on his record player. The quality of the food spoke volumes - freshly sliced, home-smoked salmon, succulent beef stew and rhubarb and apple crumble topped off with a highly recommended deep red Portuguese port went to show just how much thought and effort Chris and Noriko have put into making this much more than a simple hotel. Our room was comfortable, convenient and modern without losing that classic British charm. The hot water in the shower was strong and generous and the beds were spacious and comfortable. I can wholeheartedly recommend this as an avid traveler in Japan and as a fellow Englishman - Chris and Noriko have nailed it. Stay here, you will not be disappointed. Oh, and the very friendly and well-trained house poodle that greets guests upon arrival should not be missed! Cheers guys - we will be back!

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Chris P, Owner at Hotel Wellies, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2017

Thank you for your superb and detailed review. Glad that you enjoyed the experience at Wellies. Look forward to seeing you again. Regards, Chris

Reviewed 12 May 2017

we go there during Japan Golden Week holiday but i still can enjoy the quality moment there.
Chris and Tony was great. they serve us like friend from their heart. they will try to give us a ride whenever is possible.
the food there was great too. we have a lot of alcohol drinks there too and totally not expensive.
if you like music, they have guitar, electric guitar and piano there too.
they have a standard pudo named Freddie. you can even bring him a walk.
Really fun there.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Chris P, Owner at Hotel Wellies, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2017

Thanks for the review. We are really busy in Golden Week, I am really happy that we still managed to give a decent service. Good you drank lots and walked Freddie! Regards, Chris & Freddie

Reviewed 23 April 2017

We stayed at Hotel Wellies in early April. The level of personal service offered by the owner Chris was outstanding and he and his wife went out of their way to make us feel welcome. On arrival we were offered a cup of tea by the fire (it was a cold evening) and the following morning because it was raining Chris suggested going to a local spa. He gave us tips on "spa etiquette" which came in very useful! That afternoon we planned to go to the old town and he offered to have one of the staff members drive us.

We opted for the full English breakfast, which was very good, on both days. On the second morning we had a very early start but Chris offered to have breakfast ready much earlier than the usual time. We really appreciated that.

The room was cozy (typical for Japanese rooms) but immaculately clean. The bed was extremely comfortable.

If you want a level of personal service way beyond what you get in a "normal" hotel then this is an excellent place to stay in Karuizawa.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Chris P, Owner at Hotel Wellies, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2017

Thank you so much for staying and your thoughtful review. Best regards, Chris

Reviewed 19 April 2017

We stayed for a night at Wellies on a cold and rainy day in April, after seeing a music concert in Karuizawa. It was my first visit to Karuizawa, where cold weather and rain must be a negative element over there. However, our experience was great because of Wellies! I usually prefer to stay at traditional style accommodation in Japan, but a night at Wellies was surely a great experience.

When we arrived to the hotel at night, we wrongly got into backyard, so owner Chris kindly sat on our car to guide us to the correct way. We went inside the hotel that made us relaxed, warm, thoroughly clean, and beautifully furnished. It reminded me of boutique B&Bs in UK. Modern art objects, antique furniture from China, brightly painted walls… these are what I do not see in accommodation in Japan. We also had dinner at Wellies, and (for you who think that food in UK is not good), it was delicious. Breakfast was also a delight, which you can choose either a fish course or a traditional English breakfast course.

My most Brit experience at Wellies was that I tried a marmite. I’m sure I never did, unless urged by Chris (and I liked it!). So Wellies is a place that you can experience authentic British style in Japan. And it is also important that you can feel the atmosphere of UK in a budget - it was very reasonable in Karuizawa where everything is pricey. I recommend to those who are seeking for UK atmosphere in Japan, and to those who are looking for a comfortable and budget stay in Karuizawa. We would like to thank to Chris and the friendly staff lady, unfortunately we did not had a chance to see Noriko-san, so surely next time!

四月の寒い雨の日に、大賀ホールでのコンサート鑑賞のあとに一泊しました。悪天気は軽井沢でのステイにあたりマイナス要素だと思うのですが、こちらに宿泊したおかげでとても楽しく過ごせました。私は普段は日本の古い旅館に泊まるのが好きなのですが、ウェリーズでの一晩はとても楽しいものでした。

車でウェリーズに到着した晩、間違ってホテルの裏側に着いてしまいました。するとオーナーのクリスさんがわざわざ我々の車に乗り込んで、駐車場のある場所まで誘導してくれました。ホテルに入るととても暖かく、すみずみまで掃除が行き届いた美しいインテリアにすっかりくつろいだ気持ちになりました。現代的なオブジェや、中国のアンティーク家具や、様々な色に塗装された壁を見ていると、イギリスのB&Bを思い出しました。こうした雰囲気は私は日本の宿では見たことがありません。夕食もホテルでいただき、(イギリスの食事は美味しくないという偏見をあっさりと覆し、)とても美味しいものでした。朝食は古典的なイングリッシュブレクファストか、魚料理を取り入れたコースを選ぶことができ、こちらもとても美味しいです。

宿泊中にいちばん「イギリスらしい体験だ」と感じたのが、マーマイト(日本ではあまり馴染みのないイギリスの食材、トーストに塗って使う)を食べたこと。クリスさんに、試しみたら、と勧められなければ、きっと一生口にすることはなかったでしょう。おそるおそる試してみたところ、これが自分の口には合いました。かようにウェリーズはイギリスらしさに溢れた宿でした。また重要なポイントですが、軽井沢という物価が高いリゾート地にあってとてもリーズナブルな値段でした。スタッフの方もとても感じが良いです。日本でイギリスらしい体験をしたい方、軽井沢であまりリーズナブルに快適に過ごしたい方にとてもおすすめです。今回は、クリスさんと一緒にウェリーズを経営されているノリコさんに御目にかかる機会がありませんでしたが、軽井沢を再訪する機会があればぜひまた泊まってお会いしてみたいです。

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Chris P, Owner at Hotel Wellies, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2017

Oh My God, thank you for your long, thoughtful and kind review. We really appreciate it and are so happy that we managed to turn a rainy day into a decent experience. Regards, Chris