“Paper thin walls and terrible pillows”

Park Hotel Miyabitei
“Paper thin walls and terrible pillows”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Cons:

- The pillows provided are filled with hard beans instead of a normal, soft filling. No idea why these are the pillows of choice - they are extremely uncomfortable! I wish I had known to bring my own pillow. My neck was extremely sore for the entire day afterwards.
- The bathroom reeks of urine.
- The walls are paper thin so don't expect to sleep in if you're a light sleeper (assuming that you even fell asleep with your rock hard bean pillow).

Pros:

- The dinner came with all you can eat crab legs (although this is pretty standard for hotels in Hokkaido).

This is not really the hotel's fault but some woman picked up my towel from the onsen by accident (I assume!), leaving me in a rather awkward situation. I wish more hotels in Hokkaido would have towel service in the onsen area to avoid this.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank emileeetravels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
japan
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I've lived in Japan some 3 decades so my perception of this hotel is probably different from the short time tourist to Japan. The hotel is located in a famous hot springs area and I really must praise the wonderful onsen (hot springs bath) in the hotel. No expense seems to have been spared when it was built and it is very clean and well maintained. Don't let the strong sulphur smell put you off as that is the sign of a true hot spring. My skin felt wonderful after my bath.

However.... Everything else about this hotel was really, really bad. The buffet featured the WORST hotel food I have ever eaten in Japan!!! We agreed that the only delicious things we ate were the raw cucumbers! The plentiful crab was extremely low quality. But, if you don't know the true taste of fine fresh crab then go ahead and load up your plate.

The walls in our room were paper thin so we were kept awake most of the night by the loud chattering of the people in the next room. Usually in Japan thin towels are provided to keep as an advertising souvenir but at this hotel the room was stocked with thread bare, stained, well worn towels that weren't even neatly folded. The only good thing I can say about our room was that it was larger than normal and had both a Western-style bedroom area and a Japanese tatami mat area.

Most of the hotel guests seem to be those who are bussed in on group tours and it seems to be the only way that this hotel still stays in business. The hotel staff appeared to be poorly trained and did not show the standard level of politeness that is the hallmark of Japanese hospitality. I would never return to this hotel, except for the baths. I strongly suggest researching other options before booking a room here if you have a choice!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Pinewell

Travellers are raving about these Noboribetsu hotels

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Wonderful place with great service. The Onsen is suppose to have special minerals as it shares the same source of a nearby active volcanic area. Very near attraction with 5 mins walk. The buffet dinner is simply great with loads of tasty varieties of everything you would want. My favorite is the Alaskan crab. Wouldn't go wrong choosing this place.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
singapore
Reviewed 10 August 2012

It is quite a postponed review. My visit was sometime in early Oct 11. I stayed one night in this hotel. Due to some unforeseen circumstances, only managed to reach the hotel by 6pm. I was attended by a receptionist, which is very helpful but due to her limited English and limited Japanese, we had some difficulties. The manager, Mr Sasaki, helped us with the information needed. He even approached us during our meal in the hotel( which is included) to ask how we are coping. The next day during check out, I had issues with the location of the next hotel which is at Lake Toya and unable to communicate with the hotel recept due to language barrier. The manager offered to call the hotel on my behalf and obtain the necessary information. Even directed me how to reach there. It is really a hotel with great hospitality. Would definitely come back if i have the opportunity.

Room Tip: Must try the onsen!