Motel 6 King City
US$138
US$119
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsremodeled recentlytaco bellno frillswould stay againbig surwi fisan franciscomoldstarbucksfreeway
Reviewed 9 January 2010

Tiny room, uncomfortable bed, lumpy pillows, but very clean. Quiet. Internet service unreliable.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank MariaSoCal
Reviewed 14 May 2009

Like another poster, I was a little surprised to see the young people working in the office. Obviously they are kids of the owner. It's a fact that in many immigrant families, everyone has to work to support the family. That in itself doesn't bother me. The people I dealt with seemed friendly and interested in helping me. The customer service attitude seems to be here, but the facilities need some work.

Like most of us, I've stayed in a wide range of properties. I regularly stay in Motel 6's in different parts of the country. Most of the time it's basic, clean, safe and quiet accomodation. This location has none of those qualities, except perhaps for being safe. The issues I dealt with were:

* room key that did not work even after office reprogrammed

I went to my first room assigned but the key didn't work. I went back to the office. The young girl there kind of shrugged her shoulders. I wasn't sure if she reprogrammed it, or didn't know what to do. Her reaction seemed to be "there is nothing wrong with it", but at least she was nice about it. She sent a young man to help me, maybe her older brother. He was very nice and polite but he couldn't get the key working either. After trying, he actually asked me if I really needed a key for the room. I almost laughed, but he was nice about it. Sometimes I wouldn't mind, as I came in late, and usually just get up and leave the next day. But this time I figured I would want to go in and out in the morning so having no working key was not really an option. He offered to take me to another room, which he showed me first. I said it was OK. Unfortunately it was late, I was tired, and I didn't notice the condition of the bathroom.

* mold in bathroom of second room

After being in my room for a few minutes, I noticed what I thought smelled like smoke. It probably was the smell from the mold in the bathroom (I have a very sensitive nose.) Later when I looked more carefully at the shower, I could see mold growing on the bathroom walls. I even saw mold growing in a spot they had obviously repaired with some patching material. They must not have cleaned the wall before repairing it. It was pretty disgusting. It was obvious that the bathroom had not been cleaned properly for some time. Ten cents worth of bleach would have taken care of it. I'm pretty OK with so-so bathrooms, but this grossed me out so much that I kept my shoes on in the bathroom and showered with flip flops.

* paper thin walls

I noticed right away how thin the walls were. I could hear the neighbors talking, and in the morning got woken up by more people talking next door and walking around upstairs. I don't expect to sleep through an air raid siren but even for a Motel 6, this place seems to be rather noisy. The windows do a good job of blocking outside noises. But the walls do a poor job of blocking normal noises from your hotel neighbors.

This place provided basic services when I really needed a place to sleep. However, I would not stay here again considering the condition of the bathrooms. I have attached some pictures which are not very high quality. But it gives you an idea of how poor the cleaning is in the bathroom.

This morning at 9am, a woman came by to see if I was checking out. I suppose it's because many people head out right away. However, it would be nice if they didn't bother you and let you check out when you were ready. Their check out time is 11am, which is an hour earlier than many places. I don't remember if that is standard for Motel 6 or not.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank zitsky
Reviewed 11 March 2009

I don't expect much from a Motel 6, and to tell the truth, the room itself was acceptable. But just one thing ticked me off... maybe two things. Rolled in around 10 p.m. and the person staffing the desk was obviously the owner's young daughter--like maybe 13 years old. She also appeared to be babysittying the rest of the young brood in the room next to the office, as she had to constantly tell them to quit the rumbling. The smell of stale curry and body odor was thick in the lobby. However, this is not what I didn't like--after all, I'm not staying in the lobby, am I? The next morning, when I left the room around 11:15 a.m. (yes, I do admit I was 15 minutes past check out time), there was an eldery Indian man standing a few meters outside my room, watching the door like a hawk and glowering at me as if I was a Pakistani gunman on trial in Mumbai. He watched my every guilty move as I put the bags in the car, ready to alert the authorities upon my slightest misstep. I breathed a sigh of relief as I left the parking lot without a dark sedan on my tail. This man frightened me, I freely admit it. In my nightmares I see him standing outside the room the entire night... stay at the Motel 6 in King City, California on Halloween night for a real creepy experience as a bonus to your motel stay.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank ukaspar
Reviewed 21 January 2009

1. Door-plate needed repair, it's loose and makes the door hard to open or shut. Had to slam it when we came back, waking the neighbors I'm sure!
2. Towel rack broken and missing. No towel racks in bathroom at all. Why hasn't this been fixed?
3. The fan/light for bathrooms makes so much noise that everytime anyone uses their bathroom, the entire roll of rooms can hear the roar of the motor coming thru the vent. It's very noisey.
4. No extra blankets....needed one, so we had to turn the heater on to keep warm.
5. The blankets they do have on the beds are real old.
6. The mattress's are very low cost and hard. Not comfy at all.
7. Hardly any of the employees speak English, is this America?
8. You can hear the people in the next room.
9. It's cheap, but you get what you pay for.
10. The Circle is located near the CHP. It's very quiet and close to coffee shops. So that was nice.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 3 October 2007

We stayed there for one night on the way to San Francisco.

It's clean and basic, and at a very good rate that's not that much more than a private campground.

I asked for a quiet room and got it. Really nothing to complain about if the criteria is a basic, clean room for a few nights in transit.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family